Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy  (Read 36564 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Available To Buy
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
Well PPC executables are larger than 68k ones.  New kernel, memory system, Intuition, new icon format, larger resolutions, backdrop images, etc etc....all take up more memory.

The Blizzard PPC can take up to 256MB of physical ram - the Cyberstorm PPC 128MB, and with additional memory via disk-paging or zorro 3 memory boards, I don't see it as a problem.

If I run OS 3.9 on a high colour screen using a graphics card I'm also never going to be able to run it in 2MB.

You can't compare it with a stock OS 3.9 install with no graphics card.

We are pushing the limits of the Classic architecture for sure - trying to get the most we can out of it while providing the latest version of the Operating system and providing some extra fun for Classic PPC users and the capability to run all the AmigaOS 4.1 applications.

If you want to run a pure classic system using only 2MB of ram there are other alternatives like a Minmig or stock A1200, CD32, etc.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:56:14 PM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;638968
Well PPC executables are larger than 68k ones.  New kernel, memory system, Intuition, new icon format, larger resolutions, backdrop images, etc etc....all take up more memory.

Don't forget the emulator you'll need to run Amiga software.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;638974
Don't forget the emulator you'll need to run Amiga software.

Correct, petunia can take up some memory like 5-10MB.  But you can disable that if you wish and just run with the integrated interpretive emulation.  Although that also requires memory.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;638925
Well, you are probably right. There are a few apps that run and are interesting thought: MorphOS-OWB and SabreMSN.

Then better use a 2nd hand macmini or powermac and leave the amiga for the real amiga thing.
a1200 060

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;638954
96Mb minimum RAM required!?
  Surely this is a misprint.
  OS3.9 can boot in 2Mb, why does OS4.1 require nearly 50 times as much!?
  If I wanted to run bloatware I wouldn't use an Amiga.

OS3.9 lists 6MB of Fast RAM in its requirements... Still a lot less, but 16 times less, not 50... As has been said before, there's a lot more involved in OS4 - it's made to be used at high resolution in truecolour modes, it has things like the TCP/IP, USB support and the likes running from boot, and things like the the 68k emulation module and a lot of the hardware extraction stuff all takes up memory. That's what it takes to add modern features - why else would you use OS4 if OS3.9's features are all you need?
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:12 AM »
Great for classic Amiga users with a PPC board :D
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:39 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;638909
I agree, there should be more PCI cards supported under Classic OS4.1, but Hyperion won't allow the Mediator DMA system to work under OS4.x, as they don't like the way it works, if I understand the few words I've had cast my way by Hans and Thomas Joerg-Frieden. (Spelling almost correct I think)

I believe they could allow/support it to work, but they just won't !!

Why they can't work out a way to implement a PCI USB card/device driver system of their own, to plug into the Mediator, with the help of Elbox I just don't understand.

Why isn't there an upgrade option for people who bought Classic OS4.0, seeing as it's only a further development of the Classic OS4.x which was the worst Workbench release ever in my opinion.

Until Hyperion released Classic OS4.0, I had never regretted buying an Amiga OS, but they never improved on its initial release by very much, and then they abandoned those who bought it, to suffer with it without any real comeback.

I've hardly ever used Classic OS4.0, as it is such a poor Workbench release, and you can't use much of the hardware that you can use on OS3.9 on Classic OS4.x.

As yet, I don't see much improvement in OS4.1 that would encourage me to pay the best part of £100 to see a more recent Workbench screen, nicer font system, etc, but not allow me to use the majority of the software/hardware I use uner OS3.9.

When Microsoft update Windows they usually leave most of the features of the last OS available as a compatability option for people who upgrade, but much of that is lost if you opt for Classic OS4.1, as far as I see it.

Hyperion just seem to be on the 'gravy train' at the moment, and once they have enough 'gravy' (money) from the Classic users they may well dump us yet again.

They (Hyperion) offer very little support, and the same goes for ACube, no FAQ either, and where there was mention of SATA PCI cards on the Hyperion BLOG no sign of it in the final Classic OS4.1 release.

I'll stick with my OS3.9 installation at the moment, rather than waste £100 on Classic OS4.1. If reports of it usability change in the future I may reconsider my position but at present that's my decision.

Interesting post above.  I was just inches away from ordering AmigaOS4.1 for Classic last night, while I was ordering my A604 memory expansion from AmigaKit, even though I am a die hard MorphOS2.x user.  MorphOS no longer supports the Phase5 PowerUP boards, as the Development Team has shut down the keyfile registration server long ago and no new work after version 1.4.5 of MorphOS for PowerUP is likely to ever happen, so I thought maybe I would give AmigaOS4.1 for Classic a try.  I strongly disagree with many of Hyperion's past business practices and current policies, but I thought I would put my personal feelings aside and spend the money to finally run AmigaOS4.1 on that expensive Phase5 hardware that I bought so many years ago.

Just before committing to click on the buy button, I came to my senses and stopped myself.  After all, Hyperion had not even provided a clear list of features for AmigaOS4.1 for Classic and I had not yet seen any reviews about its performance.  Then the thoughts about Hyperion and how they operate came back and convinced me that I had made the right choice to NOT purchase AmigaOS4.1 for Classic (at least until I have more time to find out more about it).

So, for all of you who have purchased it, I hope you will use this thread, or any other thread, to give people sitting on the fence the information needed to make a decision.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 01:46:35 AM »
ive not read the thread, but hyperion not supporting elbox hacky mediator pseudo dma is due to technical reasons i suspect. its not ill will. the benchmarks (the quake demos and compositing) are though cerfully choosen to expose certain aspects where applications actually gain some speed, i suppose. for instance as where compositing on redeon lets the system look fast although accessed through 7mb/s zorro bus, whereas on the other hand the direct bus of p5 gfx cards lets you play framebuffer/non opengl games faster.

i think one should wait unbiased reviews, as well.

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show only replies by Nearly-Right
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 01:57:53 AM »
Glad you found my comments about Classic OS4.1 noteworthy.

I really don't like to have a go at Hyperion or Classic OS4.1, as I have done, but their actions, or lack of action, and ethics concern me, and not in a good way.

I've tried to keep my OS3.9 Amiga system running on as daily a basis as possible, within the constraints of the hardware, and software's capabilities, but OS4.x so far offers me very very little benefit, and so very many drawbacks that the choice is simple - spend my money on something else for my 68k/PPC Amiga that is actually useful.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:21 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;639033
Glad you found my comments about Classic OS4.1 noteworthy.

I really don't like to have a go at Hyperion or Classic OS4.1, as I have done, but their actions, or lack of action, and ethics concern me, and not in a good way.

I've tried to keep my OS3.9 Amiga system running on as daily a basis as possible, within the constraints of the hardware, and software's capabilities, but OS4.x so far offers me very very little benefit, and so very many drawbacks that the choice is simple - spend my money on something else for my 68k/PPC Amiga that is actually useful.

I did find your comments interesting, but made my decision not to purchase AmigaOS4.1 prior to reading your post.  I share your concerns about Hyperion's ethical behavior.

I hate to say this, but I think the Amiga community would be better off if everyone involved with AmigaOS lost interest and went away, leaving it to the community to pick up the pieces and merge together all the best parts of AmigaOS3.x, AmigaOS4.x, AROS and MorphOS2.x, into one combined effort, without the ego's and disagreements and past hard feelings and mostly without the greed associated with a few people trying to squeeze a measly few remaining dollars/pounds/euros out of the last few hundred Amiga users on the planet.

AmigaOS will never be a viable commercial product again.  Although I do not agree with people disregarding the rights of others, I do agree with their reasons for thinking that the people/companies still holding on to those intellectual rights, or claiming to own those rights, should let them expire and become public domain.

The Amiga community could hardly do worse than any of the "Real" IP owners have done since the demise of Commodore (or probably even better than Commodore did in its last years.  The only group I really have respect for were working directly for and with Jay Miner).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:42 AM »
Hi,

My order will be there soon, will have to notify bank that I will be purchasing it. Last time I ordered from AmiKit, the bank notified me that an out of country order was going through that they stopped. These crooks out there make everyone's life harder, hangin is to good for them.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 04:21:29 AM »
Quote from: smerf;639040
Hi,

My order will be there soon, will have to notify bank that I will be purchasing it. Last time I ordered from AmiKit, the bank notified me that an out of country order was going through that they stopped. These crooks out there make everyone's life harder, hangin is to good for them.

smerf

Interestingly, I got that same call 5mins after I ordered it from AmigaKit. Have never gotten a call like that before. I almost thought it was a fishing attempt. It was automated asking me if I wished to allow the order to go through.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 04:26:02 AM »
Quote from: CSixx;639041
Interestingly, I got that same call 5mins after I ordered it from AmigaKit. Have never gotten a call like that before. I almost thought it was a fishing attempt. It was automated asking me if I wished to allow the order to go through.

Hi,

No, it sure isn't a fishing attempt, I called the number on the back of my card and asked them what was going on. It seems that there is a Chinese gang out there and some Islamic terrorist trying to get funding anyway they can, so a lot of banks are watching all transactions and giving calls on all suspicious transactions.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;638909
Why isn't there an upgrade option for people who bought Classic OS4.0

It isn't?

seeing as it's only a further development of the Classic OS4.x which was the worst Workbench release ever, in my opinion.

Maybe it should have been a *free* upgrade for existing users then...?

As yet, I don't see much improvement in OS4.1 that would encourage me to pay the best part of £100 to see a more recent Workbench screen, nicer font system, etc, but not allow me to use the majority of the software/hardware I use under OS3.9.

"Amiga compatibility" has always had a lower priority by the OS4 team, than adding new stuff in a new "un-Amiga" way. Of course this will show. Nobody can possibly be surprised.

When Microsoft update Windows they usually leave most of the features of the last OS available as a compatability option for people who upgrade, but much of that is lost if you opt for Classic OS4.1, as far as I see it.

This is something new and different (like AROS and MorphOS) made by different people (some Linux Game Porting people) than those who once wrote Amiga OS, and they rebranded Amiga OS to "Classic", and their own OS to "AmigaOS". And that's it! Had you slapped on the "AmigaOS" sticker on MorphOS (*THANK GOD THEY DIDN'T*) you would also have gotten something new and different, but you would have experienced far, far better Amiga compatibility (and better performance, and better features as well). They are using the brand to cover up the product underneath it. I have always been surprised that there actually exists people who buys that, but I guess some people really likes to blindly follow a trade mark instead of actually reading up on all alternatives about what you will really get (what's under the hood, so to say) and make a rational decision based on that info. But who knows, they should be a happy bunch now, because it seems like these people will have a lot of new, interesting Amiga branded products to choose from, including tablets! And even an upcoming, new Amiga from Commodore! :-O

Hyperion just seem to be on the 'gravy train' at the moment, and once they have enough 'gravy' (money) from the Classic users they may well dump us yet again.

Won't be much money in this. Maybe their telephone bill went overdue...?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Minuous

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:49 AM »
>OS3.9 lists 6MB of Fast RAM in its requirements... Still a lot less, but 16 times less, not 50...

I know, but 6Mb isn't necessary, it will indeed boot on a 2Mb system.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 20, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;639046

This is something new and different (like AROS and MorphOS) made by different people (some Linux Game Porting people) than those who once wrote Amiga OS, and they rebranded Amiga OS to "Classic", and their own OS to "AmigaOS". And that's it! Had you slapped on the "AmigaOS" sticker on MorphOS (*THANK GOD THEY DIDN'T*) you would also have gotten something new and different, but you would have experienced far, far better Amiga compatibility (and better performance, and better features as well). They are using the brand to cover up the product underneath it. I have always been surprised that there actually exists people who buys that, but I guess some people really likes to blindly follow a trade mark instead of actually reading up on all alternatives about what you will really get (what's under the hood, so to say) and make a rational decision based on that info. But who knows, they should be a happy bunch now, because it seems like these people will have a lot of new, interesting Amiga branded products to choose from, including tablets! And even an upcoming, new Amiga from Commodore! :-O

This comment is nothing more than a comparison between the red and blue camps. You are obviously blue ;)

I think you should watch Dan Woods "why i use amiga in 2011". Great video. In my opinion he perfectly sums up the differences between the different camps. Red camp trying to remain as faithful to the original os as possible whereas the blue camp try to modernize things a bit. All i can say is each to their own.  

Follow this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RsvEm7UrU
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.