Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS  (Read 4591 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Bounty to port Magellan to AROS
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 09, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;744125
zune upgrade is en course since long, but progressing very slowly. you probably know.

We need a wizard to conjure up magic spells for it. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744129
I believe Kalamatee has updated Wanderer quite considerably but hasn't released his changes and might not release them at all due to becoming dissillusioned with AROS development (As I understand it anyway, I hope he has a change of heart).

Regardless,  I still believe Ambient to be a better desktop than Workbench/Wanderer/Magellan after using it for several hours per day for the last two or three months.

Magellan might be a great fit for your distro and it's obviously better than Workbench (I had fully paid for registered copy myself back in the day) but I'd still prefer to see Ambient on AROS, even though it will never be in the core repo due to being GPL.

My reasoning is because the improvements needed to enable Ambient on AROS will provide a lot more to AROS than just a possible port of Ambient.  It will improve the whole OS a great deal.

I am not against it (expecially against the Zune Update) and if you find a wizard we would all hail you :) but i do not believe it.

If there would be really a ambient port it would be possible to have both as option and configured. As long as this not happens I look at the reality and try to get the best that is possible. Besides "Ambient" is MorphOS and thus as alien to Aros as Magellan. The only real "Aros" option would be a heavily updated Wanderer but there I have not much hope. Even if there is a updated Wanderer somewhere, as long as it is not official it is not existing. When something new is real I would look on it and there is no reason not to support it.

Besides Magellan versus Ambient, the basic functions (file types...) are the same or at least similar. Ambient is (how I understand it) a configured environment (what is also possible with Magellan). The other difference is that it is based on MUI4, if that is a advantage or not is a matter of taste. Magellan has a lot of options for configuration too.

There must be reasons why the Magellan bounty was even supported my MorphOS users wishing to have it on their platform. And MorphOS developers are involved in porting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:06:04 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744133
I am not against it (expecially against the Zune Update) and if you find a wizard we would all hail you :) but i do not believe it.

If there would be really a ambient port it would be possible to have both as option and configured. As long as this not happens I look at the reality and try to get the best that is possible. Besides "Ambient" is MorphOS and thus as alien to Aros as Magellan. The only real "Aros" option would be a heavily updated Wanderer but there I have not much hope. Even if there is a updated Wanderer somewhere, as long as it is not official it is not existing. When something new is real I would look on it and there is no reason not to support it.

Besides Magellan versus Ambient, the basic functions (file types...) are the same or at least similar. Ambient is (how I understand it) a configured environment (what is also possible with Magellan). The other difference is that it is based on MUI4, if that is a advantage or not is a matter of taste. Magellan has a lot of options for configuration too.

Ambient uses MUI/ZUNE, Magellan does not.

A port of Ambeint improves the whole of AROS and gives access to even more software in the long run, a port of Magellan just gives a a nicer desktop to those that want it in the short term.

Both nice things to have, but I know which end result I prefer.

Which is the whole point of my original statement.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744134
Ambient uses MUI/ZUNE, Magellan does not.

A port of Ambeint improves the whole of AROS and gives access to even more software in the long run, a port of Magellan just gives a a nicer desktop to those that want it in the short term.

Both nice things to have, but I know which end result I prefer.

Which is the whole point of my original statement.

We can all have wishes, but we not always get them

If there is something real that I can boot and look at I will test it. As long as there is only "talk" it is not important to me. I have heard lots of things "behind the scenes" that are only halvfinished or not existing at all. People cannot use "talks" or "wishes" but only real components.

perhaps you get both at the end, who knows. But Magellan will be available in near future, Ambient would be a longterm project.

I hope I did not sound too harsh but now AROS gets a better desktop and then people pop up who have clear views (Magellan is bad, Wanderer is better) and when asking admit that they never used Magellan. And you start to say you would wish Ambient and sound like Kalamatee on aros-exec. That many people underestimate AROS (it is a great OS) and claim "it has not developed over the last ten years" has much to do with annoying Bugs not solved and Wanderer not updated. I would like to become AROS more popular and Magellan offers at least a sophisticated desktop.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:23:59 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744135
We can all have wishes, but we not always get them

If there is something real that I can boot and look at I will test it. As long as there is only "talk" it is not important to me. I have heard lots of things "behind the scenes" that are only halvfinished or not existing at all. People cannot use "talks" or "wishes" but only real components.

perhaps you get both at the end, who knows. But Magellan will be available in near future, Ambient would be a longterm project.

I hope I did not sound too harsh but now AROS gets a better desktop and then people pop up who have clear views (Magellan is bad, Wanderer is better) and when asking admit that they never used Magellan. And you start to say you would wish Ambient and sound like Kalamatee on aros-exec. That many people underestimate AROS (it is a great OS) and claim "it has not developed over the last ten years" has much to do with annoying Bugs not solved and Wanderer not updated. I would like to become AROS more popular and Magellan offers at least a sophisticated desktop.

Well at least you are doing something.  Actions speak louder than words! ;)

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744138

thanx :-)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744138

+1 :)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;744141
+1 :)

+1 thanx :-)

Offline pVC

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744134

Quote from: OlafS3;744133

In fact Magellan has way more features and is more powerful than Ambient. Ambient has cloned some features from Magellan, but nowhere near everything and many times cut down solutions. Magellan is just older design visually (gui toolkit) than more modern Ambient (MUI4), but it still excels in feature wise. I'm still using Magellan for serious file management etc rather than Ambient on MorphOS.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
Quote from: pVC;744170
In fact Magellan has way more features and is more powerful than Ambient. Ambient has cloned some features from Magellan, but nowhere near everything and many times cut down solutions. Magellan is just older design visually (gui toolkit) than more modern Ambient (MUI4), but it still excels in feature wise. I'm still using Magellan for serious file management etc rather than Ambient on MorphOS.

By feature count Magellan is better yeah, but I still think cloning the MorphOS/MUI4 features missing to implement Ambient on AROS is a more worthwhile goal due to it improving the OS as a whole.

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;744171
By feature count Magellan is better yeah, but I still think cloning the MorphOS/MUI4 features missing to implement Ambient on AROS is a more worthwhile goal due to it improving the OS as a whole.

I vote for both, on the shortrun have a better desktop with Magellan and in future (whenever) have ambient and MUI4 (what would be nice) and the user decides which desktop he/she prefers

Offline nicholas

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;744172
I vote for both, on the shortrun have a better desktop with Magellan and in future (whenever) have ambient and MUI4 (what would be nice) and the user decides which desktop he/she prefers

:)