Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: a1200 cant remember time or date  (Read 1027 times)

Description:

Offline bubba119Topic starter

• Show only replies by bubba119
a1200 cant remember time or date
« on: May 07, 2003, 04:58:29 PM »
how to change internal bios battery a1200?
how to change cooling fan (bloody noisy) a1200?
any suggestions?
cheers

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: a1200 cant remember time or date
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 05:04:00 PM »
Stock a1200 has no real time clock, so you can't save time/date.

There is no cooling fan in stock A1200.

(I did assume it's a stock A1200 here, since you didn't provide any more information. If you have some accelerator fitted, it would help if you gave that information.)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 05:05:56 PM »
OK, the A1200 itself doesn't have a battery, but, as yours has a cooling fan, i'm assuming yours has a turbocard inside it.

The first thing to do is turn the A1200 off, then flip it upside down, and remove the little trapdoor in the base. Inside should be a circuit board. If there isn't one, you haven't got a turbo card, so you shouldn't have a battery or a fan :-D

Take the board out by grabbing it, and pulling it away from the motherboard.

Now look for a battery. The ones on A1200 turbocards are usually coin-style ones, and are quite easily replaced.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline bubba119Topic starter

• Show only replies by bubba119
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 05:59:26 PM »
wow thanks for the quick replys guys!!
I think I might have been dumb and mistaken the whizzing sound of the hard disk to be a cooling fan.  it's anoying though.
how hard is it to upgrade to a quieter, larger hard drive?

can you attatch an ide cdrom drive to the hard drive cable?

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 06:22:28 PM »
Before you change the battery you should check if it's not a bug in a program you've got running at startup...

I had a similar problem once when I tried a recall program... It's a program that reminds you of birthdays, important meeting etc. It really twisted my clock around so I had to change the time every time the computer had booted...

It took me a while to figure this out...

So hope it helps

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 08:29:30 PM »

bubba119 wrote:
how hard is it to upgrade to a quieter, larger hard drive?

It's as easy as buying one, opening the case up (several screws on the bottom), turn it back the other way, lift the top - oh, don't forget the LEDs cable - move the keyboard out of the way, disconnect the hard drive (in the top leftish of the motherboard), plug the new one in.  Make sure you get a 2.5" type (ie. a laptop HD rather than a standard one) or, well, see next question.  Don't forget to put the Amiga back together again afterwards.  Make sure you have one screw remaining because there always is after taking things apart (or maybe that's just me :-))

can you attatch an ide cdrom drive to the hard drive cable?

Yes, but you need a 4-way buffered interface.  This will allow you to connect a IDE CD-ROM drive, as well as 3.5" hard drives.  But, you don't want to connect all that stuff up with it still in the desktop case, because none of it will fit (or it'll be trailing out of the case and over the desk in a messy fashion).  Either get an external SCSI CD-ROM drive and interface, or get a tower case for the Amiga and put everything in that.

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 08:44:07 AM »
Concerning harddrives & cd-romplayers on your A1200: I prefer using the bogstandard IDE connector for hooking up a 2.5" drive of max 4 GB. Although there are faster solutions, imo it's fast enough for everyday use.

For anything else, I use the SCSI-card of my Blizzard 1230-IV, which has a 4-drive SCSI tower connected to it. In my experience, a setup like this has the advantage of being more reliable than an IDE based setup, while being easier to expand. I don't like flatcables coming out of my computers...

The disadvantage of SCSI's higher cost is not so important: as my A1200 is old technology, it's perfectly happy with old (cheap!) SCSI-hardware.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Damion

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 09:25:54 AM »
The IBM Travelstar range of drives are very
quiet. The 2.5" in my 1200 is dead silent
except for the very faint crunch during
access.

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 12:22:10 PM »

-D- wrote:
The IBM Travelstar range of drives are very
quiet. The 2.5" in my 1200 is dead silent
except for the very faint crunch during
access.

Yep, I have a 6GB IBM Travelstar in my A1200 and it certainly is an awful lot quieter than my Seagate 120MB HD!!

Talking of hard disks, has anybody noticed that on eBay a 1 GB 2.5" HD, for example, will sell for £10 if it's advertised as a PC laptop HD, but it will sell for £25+ if it's advertised as an Amiga HD?!!! And yet it's exactly the same hardware!