Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatcha Playin' in DosBOX?  (Read 3102 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Whatcha Playin' in DosBOX?
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »
I'm starting this thread to see what you all have been playing in DosBOX (under AROS obviously).

Anvil of Dawn

[youtube]LK4vkw1NsxY[/youtube]
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Whatcha Playin' in DosBOX?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:18:28 AM »
I have DOS_Box installed on MacOSX and have Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) installed.  It allows you to make and run your own, or other people's game modules that are just like the Sierra Gold Box D&D games, like Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc.

There is still a small group of people that make and publish modules for FRUA and it has a mailing list and forum site.  Too bad FRUA was never ported to the Amiga 68k.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:19:47 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
I wish I had time to actually use my AROS Dosbox port  :) Ive got a pretty full basket at the moment, trying to get back into making some original amiga software again, and a few other ports are eating up all my free time at the moment :)

There's lots of stuff Id like to try though, and some other stuff I was using for testing purposes Id like to play properly. System shock being one. Great game, but everytime I play it I get maybe halfway through, then get distracted and put it aside for so long I start it again, only for the exact same thing to happen :)

Id also love to try usng win9x and running windows software. While WinXP or linux dont run "natively" in Dosbox, Im very curious to try a virtual machine inside win9x (running on dosbox), and then trying other oses inside that  :) Dosbox on even a semi modern x86 machine is reasonably fast so it could be a fun, and actually semi useful experiment. :)

As for the video posted, slightly off topic, but it wouldve been nice if we got a few games of this style towards the death end of commercial amiga games. Still "3d", as was the trend at the time, but the amigas "weakness" in this area isnt a concern in this game the way it is for a fps (which was what game developers tended on focus on for an upgraded amiga towards the end).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:12:43 AM »
I'm stuck at the wizard on level 7 of Ultima Underworld!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZsNTatF8fs[/youtube]
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:35 AM »
I have 8 gigs+ of dos games leeched off various dos abandonware games sites.

I just don't have any time to play them.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:18:05 AM »
Oh, and just a quick note, there's a tool for creating harddrive images for use in dosbox that Ive compiled for aros as well. I'll include it in the archive when I get off my butt and upload a proper archive of latest dosbox.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »
I have some abandonware downloads, but I've been trying to support these games by buying them from sites like Good Old Games (GOG.COM).

GOG is really great because they also weed out MOST of the incompatibilities, add extras like sound tracks, sell the games CHEAP and DRM free and run deals all the time.

No, I don't have any stock in the company.  But if I could, I'd soooo buy in!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
Master of Magic with a couple of outstanding fan patches

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
Wow, that GOG.com site is great.  I think it's really neat what they are doing - providing old games in a safe, legitimate package compatible with modern OSs with no fuss for those not wanting to deal with emulators or shady dowload sites/torrents.  Price is great, too.

It's funny how in the "About Us" though - they advise you not to pay any attention when your kid laughs at the graphics of these games because the the gameplay is more important.  To me, these games look totally modern and have amazing graphics - as I'm still playing Commodore 64 and VIC-20 games with 8-bit graphics (which are fine for me).  It seems funny to hear people talking with nostalgia about games from "only" 7 or 8 years ago (although I knew it would come eventually).

I can just see in about 30 years there will be a PS3 nostalgia forum (just like Amiga.org today) on some future versino of the internet where people complain that the new fully immersive holo-deck type games of 2041 are all flash and graphics and that games from "the golden age" of 2011 were so much simpler, more innocent and had better gameplay.  Human nature.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:42:33 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »
Hi,

@XDelusion

Obviously I don't use Aros, (tried it on a couple of machines but don't like the way it works), I would rather use a good OS like Ubuntu, but I do use DOSbox on it and I play such games as Doom, DoomII, Empire in DOSbox and on Euae. I also play Quake, Castle of Wolfestein. They all work great in DOSbox, oh yeah lets not forget Silent Service, and Great Naval Battles, and the Red Baron.

They all work great on Ubuntu with DosBox.

best regards
smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;670139
I have 8 gigs+ of dos games leeched off various dos abandonware games sites.

I just don't have any time to play them.

That's the down side to being a collector. It becomes overwhelming at times, and it's hard to slow down and enjoy little gems that can be found in such collections, which was the original point of making my collection in the first place. After all these years, I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'm finally slowing down enough to fully experience a bit of what I have.
At this point, I'd say 30Tb plus of "stuff" is about enough these days, I'll never have the time to experience it all anyhow, though every now and then I find something else that I feel must be added! How ironic! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:25 AM »
J-Golden: GOG.COM

Curious! :)

fishy_fiz: Awesome to hear, this is MUCH needed!!!!! I have not received a copy of Win95a CD version yet, so maybe by the time I get it, your update release will be available... along with the PrBOOM update! ;)

AmigaDave: Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures...

How cool is that?! Thankx!!! :)

Everyone: Pictures and Photos please, especially for those rare gems!

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
Last thing I played in DosBox was Crusader no remorse.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:53:47 AM »
Actually PRBoom has been put on hold until hardware renderer works again. Seems there's a few probs with aros sdl at the moment and some sdl+gl software will have probs when trying to use a gl context for rendering. I did actually finish the port, but its software rendering only for now, so I'll wait.

Oh, and incidently aros dosbox has a record to video option if you ever feel the urge to record what youre playing :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:35 AM »
Tripitaka: Ya, me too! :)

Fish: Aghh, the curse of following developing Alt OS'.

Sometimes it sucks not being a developer in the coding sense, but alas I've got too many hobbies and such on the table right now.

When my faster machine is built, I'll have to play with that Video Record feature. I've got tons of unknown gems I'd love to share video of!