Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer  (Read 3314 times)

Description:

Offline MotormouthTopic starter

Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
Does anyone out there still use their toaster and/or flyer for production work?   Or anything else for that matter...... Especially since NTSC is for all practical purposes dead.

I guess I am more or less curious....

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
I got a box full of genlocks and other video gear in a recent parts haul I found.  Thought it might be cool to make some "retro" videos for my roller derby team.  But considering the amount of time it would take to learn all this stuff (never had it back in the day) I doubt it will ever happen.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:16:41 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;774544
I got a box full of genlocks and other video gear in a recent parts haul I found.  Thought it might be cool to make some "retro" videos for my roller derby team.  But considering the amount of time it would take to learn all this stuff (never had it back in the day) I doubt it will ever happen.  :(

That is one of the best features of the Video Toaster/Flyer, it is very easy to learn to use and intuitive.  Doing some things takes a bit of studying & practice (like using LightWave3D to make moving 3D logos), but for the most part, the Toaster/Flyer is very easy to use, once it is fully set up and working.

As for the question on if anyone is still using their Video Toaster/Flyer for production work, I have a very good friend who directs and produces a couple of local cable TV shows.  Until just a couple of years ago, he used his Video Toaster/Flyer to create 90% of his production work.  Now, he uses a Windows based, software only, video editing system, to do HD content, plus the last service person within a 100 mile radius of where he lives quit working on Amigas and Video Toaster/Flyer systems, so he had to switch to something that was still supported, in case his system went down as he had to have something that could be worked on and fixed in a day or two, or he would miss a deadline and lose his client(s).  I think he still uses the Toaster/Flyer for a tiny fraction of his work, when HD content is not required, or when he can insert SD content composite on a part of an HD screen.  The days of using NewTek's Video Toaster/Flyer running in an Amiga are basically over now, but what an incredible run that product family had over the last 20+ years.

I'll keep using mine for personal use for years to come.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:19:02 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline esc

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:15:30 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;774545
That is one of the best features of the Video Toaster/Flyer, it is very easy to learn to use and intuitive.  Doing some things takes a bit of studying & practice (like using LightWave3D to make moving 3D logos), but for the most part, the Toaster/Flyer is very easy to use, once it is fully set up and working.

As for the question on if anyone is still using their Video Toaster/Flyer for production work, I have a very good friend who directs and produces a couple of local cable TV shows.  Until just a couple of years ago, he used his Video Toaster/Flyer to create 90% of his production work.  Now, he uses a Windows based, software only, video editing system, to do HD content, plus the last service person within a 100 mile radius of where he lives quit working on Amigas and Video Toaster/Flyer systems, so he had to switch to something that was still supported, in case his system went down as he had to have something that could be worked on and fixed in a day or two, or he would miss a deadline and lose his client(s).  I think he still uses the Toaster/Flyer for a tiny fraction of his work, when HD content is not required, or when he can insert SD content composite on a part of an HD screen.  The days of using NewTek's Video Toaster/Flyer running in an Amiga are basically over now, but what an incredible run that product family had over the last 20+ years.

I'll keep using mine for personal use for years to come.

Any examples of the stuff you've mentioned, perhaps on Youtube? I've always been curious to see the finalized output of a toaster/flyer setup. I'd also really be curious to see what it can do that is kind of unique.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:20 AM »
Two uses:  paper weight and doorstop.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;774550

Hmm.. not very nice.

Rich

Offline MotormouthTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »

Unfortunately that is all I could come up with myself.

Offline Sean Cunningham

• Show only replies by Sean Cunningham
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192445
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;774552
Unfortunately that is all I could come up with myself.

It goes beyond the fact of being an SD only device.  It's analog and analog video production is dead.  

Everyone is walking around with HD cameras on their phones featuring, essentially, drag-n-drop file-level access to the content.  This stuff is editable on even a cheap laptop anymore, using free or next to free software if you must.  Apart from some hipster-esque satisfaction in doing something with one of these setups you're really better off saving yourself the effort and diminished quality, if you need to actually do something that's not just for purely your own purposes.

More than once I've seen local network affiliates doing a story in the field that's obviously standard-definition video blown up but these are most likely digital of some kind.  It still begs the question "why?", given a first generation iPhone shoots better video but, who knows, perhaps they're still paying for some of those ENG cameras.

Offline mechy

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;774542
Does anyone out there still use their toaster and/or flyer for production work?   Or anything else for that matter...... Especially since NTSC is for all practical purposes dead.

I guess I am more or less curious....

If you have the stuff, some uses could be:

DVR for security cams.
Real time video digitizer.
Video switcher for multiple inputs(c64,console etc?)
Web cam(software on aminet for toaster as digitizer).
It also works with VHI studio if memory serves.
Nothing that can't be done on modern things,but hey,fun to mess with.:)

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »
Agreed, there's nothing about the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer that's useful or appropriate in a commercial sense in this high-def digital world. That said, I have assembled a setup of 1990s NewTek and Commodore goodness and what magic this stuff was in its day! I'm having fun using it for some personal work. Eventually I will probably share something via YouTube, but I don't have anything ready for that just yet.

Somebody send me a Kitchen Sync, as that's the bit I'm after now. :)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
Quote from: mbrantley;774574
Somebody send me a Kitchen Sync, as that's the bit I'm after now. :)

:laugh1:
I fully agree the best 'current' use for a video toaster is messing around and having fun with it as today everything is 1080 hi def video
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:48 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;774576
:laugh1:
I fully agree the best 'current' use for a video toaster is messing around and having fun with it as today everything is 1080 hi def video

My toaster can output to a1080 monitor!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »

You forgot Boat Anchor.  :)

You can do the Roller Derby retro vid on Nero Video for modern device consummation in a quarter the time, and you only need one video device.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 12:43:17 AM »

Most people would say this same exact thing about the Amiga computer itself.  Something doesn't seem quite right with vintage computer enthusiasts declaring a particular piece of vintage hardware to be worthy only of holding open a door because it has no present commercial viability.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:31 AM »
Very little practical use or cash value in the setup these days, but a lot of fun to noodle around with and learn the basics of video work on.  Toaster setup is still a lot of fun to fiddle around with if SD stuff is acceptable for you.