Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?  (Read 7725 times)

Description:

Offline L8-X

• Show only replies by L8-X
    • Http://www.amigaworld.net
Re: New Apple Game!
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2003, 07:28:48 PM »
@BBRV

So morhpos is nothing more than a TROJAN?!?!? :-D  :-D  :-D

;-)

Nice little story btw.
\\"It\\\'s no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or another.\\"

-George Bush, US President

:-D

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2003, 09:31:42 PM »
Kay,

I have read your posts and consider you to be a fair and knowledgable person.

The times when I care about your actions at all is when they affect the Amiga or Amiga companies somehow.

Specifically?

I'm a developer and I'm going to be getting a Pegasos for $299, thanks to co-operation between Genesi and Phoenix Developer Consortium (PDC). PDC is like a user group for developers, which I am a member of. R&B really want to get the market kickstarted again. Everyone who works for Genesi is friendly and helpful, something AmigaInc hasn't shown.

Genesi isn't stopping me from running AmigaOS4 on the Pegasos.  That would be Eyetech's *protectionist* approach to the Amiga market.  You know, you will only be *allowed* to run AmigaOS4 on the hardware supplied by Eyetech. Sounds like a *ghetto* to me.

This is the complete opposite of what Fleecy talked about when AmigaInc started up after Gateway. Think ''zico spec'.

This situation is NOT fair to the rest of the market, whether you are a hardware company who makes a nice microATX PowerPC based motherboard ..or.. an online retailer or distributer who have to compete with Eyetech. That exclusive deal between Eyetech and AmigaInc would be viewed as a *Conflict of interest* in a true open market.

Eyetech have this belief that everyone who buys an Amiga is a software pirate. They should drop this attitude.

When I used an Amiga (I still have 3, just packed away), I bought all the applications and the upgrades, I really supported the market.
I spent over $3500 on Amiga hardware & software, this was between Gateway ownership and the current regime. I really believed that the Amiga would return under new ownership, but I feel I made a mistake then.

As for Genesi Pegasos.. I think $299 is a fair price for a developer board. :-D

I strongly believe that anyone who buys an AmigaONE in this current market situation is going to get burned like I was a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Anti-amigaInc/Eyetech/Hyperion.. I just don't like how business operates in this market. I want change. I demand change.

The companies that operate business how I want it will get my support.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2003, 09:53:25 PM »
@Darth_X
I Realy wish you & other ppl who are going for Pegasos/MOS stoped repling as if your Genesi's PR Dept...

& all i see is talk talk talk.

from both sides.

You talk as if no one has an Aone.

Untill MOS is sold to run on hardware that they dont make money from then there is no difference tfrom Aone/Aos4.

MOS userversion only comes with the Peg.

I dont care what they say what they plant to do.

I care when it is.

PPL who want Aone/Aos4 want Aone/Oas4 cos they want Aone/Aos4 not cos they think its better than Pegasos/MOS.

Its not all about whats better its about what sutes you.

There is only one good reason why ppl choose a Apple Mac over a PC.
Style,feeling ect...

If better is whats its all about then there would only be one computer platfrom with one OS.

Plus this thread was nothing to do with MOS/Peg but ofcorse ppl who are for Peg/MOS had to distroy it.

Most ppl who are for Aone/Aos4 dont care for the politics.

Just like the poster of this thread he talks about what he wants to do with his Aone/Aos4 setup & there have been many threads like it.
with ppl just saying oh in really looking forword to my Aone/Aos4 & not a peep about the Peg/MOS.

If someone wants Aone/AOS4 then leave them be.

I dont have ago at ppl who want Peg/MOS just cos they want Peg/MOS.

I dont tell them not to get one if thats what they are asking for then fine.

If someone wants an apple & i have apples i will sell them apples.

If i only got oranges then tough i cant help them.

I would not try to force them to take my oranges with PR HEY Oranges a\re better for you than apple & this & thats. he most likley dont give a damn. like We all only eat what best for us.

We eat what WE want not what best. most of the time.

PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline kolla

Re: Apple and MorphOS Compatibility!
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2003, 10:19:58 PM »
Well, have you seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Oh I can see it now.. Bill Buck as Arthur, his knights, riding coconut
versions of the pegasos, searching the Holy Grail - "The True Amiga",
Steve Jobs as Guy "he already got one" de Lambert, living in his Apple
castle. I can imagine the trojan morphos CD will bounce out of the mac
camp very much the same way that trojan bunny bounced out from the
castle of Guy de Lambert.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2003, 10:24:18 PM »
Hi Alkemyst!

Do you think I should talk to Genesi about hiring me for their worldwide PR dept? :-D

I was only relating my own personal experiences, not just as a user, but also as someone wanting to become a developer. Basically, I was talking about supporting the companies who operate their businesses properly, and NOT supporting the companies who do not.

*Looks at his own post* I don't see where I made any comment about Pegasos hardware being better than AmigaONE in this post. I was refering to how I prefer the open market nature of Genesi compared to what is happening from AmigaInc.

Should I apologise for wanting to work hard to make this market a better place?

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2003, 10:26:37 PM »
whats its all about then there would only be one computer platfrom with one OS

This is the exact thinking that Microsoft and Intel would like everyone to believe!

Is Microsoft right?

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2003, 10:38:22 PM »
> I have read your posts and consider you to be a fair and knowledgable person.

Why, thank you! :-)

> Specifically?

No, generally :-P. Okay, I mostly react when BBRV makes statements which are apparently intended to hurt AmigaOne sales, or to defame Amiga people and companies. I don't want to go into details, as most such statements have been discussed to death already.

> Genesi isn't stopping me from running AmigaOS4 on the Pegasos. That would be Eyetech's
> *protectionist* approach to the Amiga market. You know, you will only be *allowed* to run
> AmigaOS4 on the hardware supplied by Eyetech. Sounds like a *ghetto* to me.

As far as I've understood, the deal Eyetech has is not exclusive at all, and Eyetech formally has no say when it comes to what other platforms OS4 will run on. Genesi *could* have gotten the same deal, if they had accepted the licencing conditions. I'd be surprised if Hyperion would want to work with them now though, considering some of the statements which have been made. Genesi claims that they wouldn't mind OS4 on the Pegasos, but when they in the same post claim that Hyperion's MP is lying about his profession, I somehow feel that they are not sincere.

> I strongly believe that anyone who buys an AmigaONE in this current market situation is
> going to get burned like I was a few years ago.

I strongly disagree, but we will find out soon enough.

> The companies that operate business how I want it will get my support.

I agree with that philosophy. And for that reason BBRV will not receive my support.

Kay

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2003, 10:52:32 PM »
> This is the exact thinking that Microsoft and Intel would like everyone to believe!

Start naming companies that don't operate like that. Commodore did it. Apple do it even more furius than M$ themselfes. I really have a hard time coming up with a single company that doesn't. And don't come and say that Genesi doesn't. Just mention "MOS on x86" and see what happens.

There are no saints, just corporations.
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline JetRacer

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2003, 11:02:39 PM »
Oh, oh, now I know!!!

Linux companies! RedHat, n stuff. I run RH7.3 myself.

Ok, not all companies operate like that. So when do Morph go open-source then (couldn't resist)?

Don't take this post too seriusly...

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2003, 11:14:36 PM »
@JetRacer

Start naming companies that don't operate like that. Commodore did it. Apple do it even more furius than M$ themselfes. I really have a hard time coming up with a single company that doesn't. And don't come and say that Genesi doesn't. Just mention "MOS on x86" and see what happens.

Corporations can choose to operate their business correctly or incorrectly. It is up to us as consumers to be the watchdog and make sure they all treat us properly! If we are constantly feeding them (ie: $50) and not getting anything in return (not even a measily t-shirt!) what good does that do us?

MOS on x86?  Hmmm. PowerPC is better suited (if you want technical reasons, we could do a whole new post on the subject), of course I'd prefer a SMP multiprocessor system. x86 don't adapt too well to that type of environment, otherwise there would be more dual and quad processor PCs around. I know there are a few power users out there.. but let's be honest... dual processor PCs are not cheap! And AMD processors run extremely hot!  :-D

So when do Morph go open-source then (couldn't resist)?

Open Source has good points and bad points. FREE is good.

One bad point about open source is the horrific BLOATWARE applications it creates.

How about controlled-source that is open to internal developers and the resulting application is freely-distributable to everyone?

Offline kostas

• Show only replies by kostas
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2003, 11:31:13 PM »
Please Mr Bill,
Don't say  words like "Greeks". please don't!
Why this bothers me? I think it's a word that not anyone can use....

P.S.
I am always gentle with all the people in this site and I am trying hard with some people....
Kostas

Offline JetRacer

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2003, 11:37:29 PM »
(edit: the following is not directed towards Kostas, but the previus poster)

That's a hole lot of unecessary words.

No SMP...? Where have you been all this time? Besides, where do you find the PPC vs x86 post? It shure wasn't me. I'm not pro-x86. And RH is bloat, I agree.

> How about controlled-source that is open to internal developers and the resulting application is freely-distributable to everyone?

Radical :-)

No, seriusly. Give it a rest will ya. Grab a coke, howl at the moon and bash your head into a tree. Or whatever you do to  relax. Personally I do the CHB.

Now it's official: I can't be serius for the rest of the evening (pscht! aoooooo! bonk!).

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2003, 12:09:02 AM »
As far as I've understood, the deal Eyetech has is not exclusive at all, and Eyetech formally has no say when it comes to what other platforms OS4 will run on

Eyetech mention that AmigaOS4 will only run on Eyetech AmigaONE systems. Also, they won't sell AmigaOS4 upgrade kits (including the Hyperion made BIOS/firmware and AmigaOS4) to Teron (ie: Terrasoft boxer) motherboard owners. Hmmm.. sounds pretty exclusive to me.

This is not FUD. This is what they told me in an email. I was very disapointed. Please don't take my opinion on this, it's better to email Eyetech for yourself. :-D

>> The companies that operate business how I want it will get my support.

> I agree with that philosophy. And for that reason BBRV will not receive my support.

Me doesn't understand?  :-?  I love BBRV's sarcastic sense of humous, I often find myself nearly falling out of my chair laughing. Its been so long since there's been anyone with a cool sense of humour.

*current market situation*

What I meant here was that I don't like to see the Amiga market limited to what Eyetech pawn.

Offline Darth_X

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2003, 12:13:32 AM »
Jetracer:

I think you have really cool ideas, don't let my moody nature bother you.. I just haven't slept in the past 24 hours... :-o

If you or anyone else reading this has COOL ideas to make this marketplace bigger better BADDER and stronger, feel free to post those ideas here! I know I want to hear them! :-D

:roflmao:
We had a snow storm here overnight.. and I just ran out of Coke!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. I'm suffering!!!
:roflmao:

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2003, 12:28:33 AM »
> Eyetech mention that AmigaOS4 will only run on Eyetech AmigaONE systems.

At the moment, that is true, but I don't think that means they have any power to keep it away from other HW platforms in the future. To the best of my knowledge, Eyetech has no ownership over AmigaOS4 at all. If Genesi got themselves a licence to have AmigaOS4 running on the Pegasos, Eyetech would have no power to stop them. Considering Genesi's current relations with Amiga Inc and Hyperion, though, I doubt they will be getting a license in the near future.

> Me doesn't understand? I love BBRV's sarcastic sense of humous, I often find myself nearly
> falling out of my chair laughing.

If you seriously have no idea why I would dislike his behaviour, then for the sake of peace, I must answer: Never mind. If you REALLY want to know, send me a PM. We are already OT, and I do not wish this to become another flamewar.

Kay

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 10, 2003, 01:27:22 PM »
Flamewars are over!

We have to prepare the Trojan Horse!!!

:-D

R&B