Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!  (Read 25405 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;724315
@a-pex

Dont waste your time on this forum as you can see...

Is there's some special need you felt to insult everybody else on the forum? Or are you naturally this rude?

@a-pex

There are other possibilities in the short term. This site went through a similar transition a while ago was updated to a version of vbulletin that is heavily dependent on CSS for layout and some functionality.

This upset a few classic users that couldn't use the site after the update. So, I wrote a small degrader proxy in PHP that parses the markup and degrades it into (far obsoleted) HTML that iBrowse (and AWeb) can cope with.

Compare this site in iBrowse versus this one: http://aoproxy.extropia.co.uk/

What you could do is set up a sub domain on a1k and we could look at installing a suitably modified version of the code on it to cope with whatever forum engine you ultimately go for.
int p; // A

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »
No insults here, but when someone answer "great, start coding" is a wate of time... if you want to moderate do it but dont invent insults... no more replys about this.
a1200 060

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »
What was in the original post a great idea and such dream of mine to have a modern browser on an a classic Amiga, enough so to be able to have the browser smart enough to convert youtube videos into a format that can run in a classic Amiga with CPU 030 such as HV format but live stream so you do not wait days and HD space consumption doing it for each video you watch in youtube..and other cool features such as up to date HTML 5 support, css, javascript, php, etc....to a childish Pickering. Where are the adults I wonder?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:12 AM »
I wonder what could be done with Odyssey?
I don't know that an Amiga would have enough power to display html5.
But the idea of a conversion filter is intriguing.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:00 AM »
Video conversion takes time. In it'd take longer to convert a video stream and play that than it would to run the original clip in veeeery sloooow slideshow fashion. There's also a lot of other "simple" modern standards that'd struggle on any 680x0 cpu (including an overclocked 680x0 which is 10x+ the speed of any '030).

This isnt to say a more modernised browser isnt possible, it just sounds like some people are expecting too much from the good 'ol classics.

My suggestion would be to set up an organised effort, with (realistic) bounty goals clearly defined. The current expectations of a 68k browser with everything and the kitchen sink probably makes it hard for an interested person to take such a thing seriously. A more basic browser supporting CSS and javascript (netsurf isnt bad, but lack of javascript is quite limiting) is way more realistic/reasonable in my opinion.

As for the suggestion theres no coders, etc. remaining...... thats one of the craziest things Ive heard in a while.
Currently "amiga" (os3.x/4.x/mos/aros) coders are writing 3 entirely new oses, along with collectively thousands of pieces of software. OS3.x is still getting work done on it and new ports and software done. Heck, even one of the "NG" options has multiple versions (x86,x86-64,arm,ppc,68k, assorted hosted versions, etc.).
Despite all the bickering and stupidity in this community when I sit back I cant help but be impressed what this community has achieved with so little resources.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
What would really be useful in a 68k browser is a Javascript whitelist feature such as NoScript provides for Firefox. An improved JS engine would be nice, but ultimately there's just too much JS bloat on modern websites; even modern systems get dragged down by it. A whitelist would at least help to contain the insanity; as is, I spend more time in iBrowse waiting for scripts to time out than I do actually looking at webpages.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;724342

What you could do is set up a sub domain on a1k and we could look at installing a suitably modified version of the code on it to cope with whatever forum engine you ultimately go for.

What about a local HTTP proxy? that would save some bandwidth
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline utri007

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
There is no way that current 68k amigas could display videos from net. I really doesn't understand where those unrealistic / impossible wishes cames.

Netsurf is propaply only possible solution. It is only semi modern browse wich has planed to work with low spec hardware. AMR6 30mhz and 16mb ram.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
Sadly I have to agree with the last few comments. playing streamed video on 030, converted or not, is not going to work. Web-based javascript these days (think jquery, canvas etc) is way too intensive to play on any classic Amiga. The only thing that would be possible is (better) CSS support. That would already make a huge difference! If there was going to be a bounty, it should be just that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:45:23 AM by rvo_nl »
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »
Even basic CSS support for IBrowse would be very nice to have.
CD32
A500

Offline Borut

• Show only replies by Borut
    • http://www.crt-software.com
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
Crazy idea?
Regarding the streaming of video, wouldn´t it be possible that the video is converted in the "cloud" to the possible format (more or less uncompressed) and than just downloaded/streamed because nowadays a lot of people have flatrates?

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »
no. streaming or sending the data uncompressed (which is already a very difficult task to get right) means you need loads of bandwidth at first. and then your machine needs to be able to handle all this data in time, too. the classic Amiga is not equipped for that.

Also, converting in the 'cloud' ? I think you are mixing up cloud computing and cloud storage here. both possible, but not for free.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline a-pexTopic starter

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »
An improved iBrowse supporting a basic CSS would be already enough.

There is no need for videos and other crazy impossible stuff!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
netsurf and aros owb 68k prove a css browser is possible at least on 060. optimized plotter that doesnnt just render the whole content new even when just scrolling would make it even faster. trade off antialiasing on fonts might bring another speedup. one just needs to do that.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
No forget about video, even on my 060 its not really great, granted I do use AGA, but still.

Stick to html, css and javascript

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 28, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;724342
I
This upset a few classic users that couldn't use the site after the update. So, I wrote a small degrader proxy in PHP that parses the markup and degrades it into (far obsoleted) HTML that iBrowse (and AWeb) can cope with.

Compare this site in iBrowse versus this one: http://aoproxy.extropia.co.uk/

Karlos, I use this on my A1200 all the time. Can the parser replace the bad grammer as well? J/K

I always wondered if you had a similar proxy for EAB?

Thanks!