Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...  (Read 48907 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
This thread turned out to be a waste of time... :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:09:52 AM by Franko »

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:27:02 AM by save2600 »

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
@Franko

We are not motivated by anything financial to support Cloanto. We support them because they sell and continue to update an awesome Amiga Virtual Machine. Should it be upgraded to also be just as nice on Mac OS X and Linux as it is on Windows. Of course it should, we hope over time that happens. Amiga OS should run on as many environments as possible.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »
Quote from: Transition;635704
We are not motivated by anything financial to support Cloanto. We support them because they sell and continue to update an awesome Amiga Virtual Machine.
There's a big difference between supporting them and playing cheerleader for them, and the Aorg staff seems to be way on the other side of it. I don't bear any ill will towards Cloanto, but what they offer is manifestly not a simple way to get Workbench disks for classic Amigas, and whether they're supporting Aorg or not, you're quite blatantly shilling for them when it's not even relevant to the thread.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline hceline

• Show only replies by hceline
    • http://there-is-no-governor-anywhere.new-haven.org/
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
@Transition: This is just stupid. The files Clanto distribute is both useless and illegal to use on a real Amiga.

Quote from: SilvrDrgn;635553
we might just end up deleting this entire thread outright
@SilvrDrgn: Yea that seems sensible, NOT. And since Transition did not cloce the other thread I assume it was you; based on your statement in my quote.

@AO mods generally: Freedom of speech anyone??
Well I guess you use the American variant of the concept: Freedom of speech for everyone that agrees with the powers to be.
And let me pleas remind you that the legal status of AI so called IP-ownership is highly questionable and never tested in court. And that even long before the Amiga Inc Washington to KMOS transfer.

Quote from: amigakit;635615
We are expecting more NOS AmigaOS 3.1 Disk Sets  due in the next two weeks if this helps.   These were manufactured by  Amiga Technologies.
@amigakit: Nice to know that 3.1 can be bought but that is just a very temporary solution (that stock will run out; what then?) and only for Amiga owners with KS3.0 and higher. And assuming this is legal disks manufactured by Amiga Technologies; how old would this stock be? About 15yrs or something like that? How much lifetime can we expect form them if we buy them today? I'd had floppies fail after much shorter storage time than that.

@Franko:
Keep up the good work, about time someone did what you seem to be up to. If no-one challenged the ownership of the IP our OS would for sure be stuck in limbo for eternity.

Quote from: bloodline;635495
-Edit- On topic, if Franko wants to challenge Amiga Inc's claim to the  AmigaOS IP, then he needs to do it properly, not through piracy but  through the legal system!        
@bloodline: Hmm, as far as i understand the legal system this is not an option at all; What right does Franko have (or anyone of us for that sake) , as a private citizen with no previous legal interest in the IP in question, to challenge the ownership in court? The only option any of us have to get this issue to a court of law, is to force the (self-acclaimed) owners to initiate the legal proceedings one way or another. Do you have any better suggestions on how to do that than what Franko is doing right now?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:40:19 PM by hceline »
Hagbard Celine

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:11:24 AM by Franko »

Offline hceline

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
@Franko: I totally agree with you, and you have my full support. Were it not for the fact that my servers have a physical location with a internet-link at the courtesy of my former employee I would have done the same earlier, or at-least mirrored your files at this point. I would be happy to be able to face the alleged owners of the Amiga IP in a court-of-law. But I am sorry to admit that I would not risk loosing my free server location and hi-speed internet-link, as I could never afford renting a location for them with even a low-speed link.

@Thread: And if anyone believes that my last two sentences contradict each-other; Being dragged to court wouldn't cost me anything, deference-lawyers are paid by the state in Norway.

Edit: Small correction: In light of the info from
amigakit I would have mirrored the 1.3 trough 3.0 as long as their arriving stock of 3.1 last., Then I would have mirrored all. Then there would have been no way any alleged IP-owners could have won a case against me in a Norwegian-court-of-law, even if the court would agree to their claim of ownership; which I very much doubt they would.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:39:56 PM by hceline »
Hagbard Celine

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:12:32 AM by Franko »

Offline hceline

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
Just wanted to voice my support, as I believe what you are doing is the only right thing to do, and should have been done a long time ago.

Good to hear that you got experience.
Hagbard Celine

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »
Yep, me too - I reckon it's a great idea. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 01:06:06 AM »
Quote from: Franko;635734
Seems I've opened a big can of worms here with my wee quest to find out who actually owns the rights to distribute or sell Workbench Disk sets... :)

All I can say is Im glad I only got round to going on the net last summer as if this bury your head in the sand BS and you can't mention that here crap has been going on for all these years then I'm glad I missed it... :)

Strange place Amigaland these days for the few of us remaining and who just want to get on with using our Amigas because we actually enjoy them. We seem to be thwarted at every turn by a bunch of hypocrites and to be honest just plain wankers who think that their ignorant opinions on copyright laws and even more bloody annoying holier than thou attitudes should be imposed on the rest of us... :madashell:

Now setting aside all the politicking and behind the scenes stuff that happens on these forums, it's becoming more and more clear just who & what the owners think is more important to their sites. It's clear that Amiga Emulators and therefore PCs are more important than genuine Amiga Hardware users and members, sad but there you have it and we now know where we all stand... :(

Perhaps a rename of the site to AmigaEmulator.org might be more appropriate... ;)

As for me whether it upsets the site owners or not because they value Cloanto more than their members, then sorry but I won't be stopping my wee quest to put this issue to rest once and for all. If that means I am not allowed to do so here or am banned for doing so, then so be it, I have to admit it would be a shame as I really love this site and the vast majority of its members with whom I've had great fun and had the pleasure of interacting with... :)

Whether I do so partially from this site my own or numerous other options I have, then I simply won't be stopping nor be stopped by anyone in my attempt to answer this question once and for all... ;)

It high time everyone who cares stopped for a moment  and takes in the reality of just how asburd, stupid and petty all this nonsense is and we all put our efforts together and force this issue to a point where whomever it is who claims to hold these rights is challenged in a court of law to prove it so. This has been going on long before I came along and will continue to do so unless we take a stand and force the issue once and for all... :)

At the end of the day all these years of nonsense has done nothing but harm to the image of the Amiga Community and will just continue to make us a bigger laughing stock than we already are in the world of computers... :(

So I ask all who are willing, think about it carefully and if like me you want to end all this nonsense then please stand up and be counted and express your thoughts and opinions on it here and anywhere else you can loudly and proudly and for once together we can finally achieve something good for the Amiga Community... :)

Thank you very much sir! Vitriolic, but accurate. I wholly support legitimate copyright holders rights. But the illegitimate restraints placed on WB/AOS definitely need to be tested.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:14:00 AM by Franko »

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 01:16:48 AM »
The easiest way it purchase 1.3 and 3.1 is exactly how Transition as alluded to:
Step 1 buy Amiga Forever,
Step 2 buy a Catweasel Mk4 or Mk4+.........
In my opinion if you are a classic amiga user the Catweasel (on a PC) is worth every penny.

Would you really what or need any of these version of amiga OS:  1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 1.4, 2.0, 2.04, or 2.1?.  I can maybe see wanting a version 1.0 or 1.2 roms to boot some old games but probably not the OS

As for 3.5, 3.9, and 3.9withBB2
Unless you are in a special situation, with a 68020 one would probably not want os 3.5
or 3.9
 just OS 3.9with bb2 and is that not still available?

As for a HDF file, one can use WInUAE/Amiga Forever to make any HDF file they wish, out of the  Amiga Forever's files.adf and/or AmigaOS Cdroms.

@hceline, I don't remember signing any CUDA saying that I can only use the .ADF files with an emulated amiga.  This sounds more like a distribution agreement Amiga Forever made with Amiga, Inc.
Anyway, don't just about all of use have at least original copies of amiga os 1.3 and 3.1 and maybe 3.5 and 3.9?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:31:22 AM by Motormouth »

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:14:45 AM by Franko »

Offline hceline

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011, 01:27:22 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;635772
The easiest way it purchase 1.3 and 3.1 is exactly how Transition as alluded to:
In my opinion if you are a classic amiga user the Catweasel (on a PC) is worth every penny.

Would you really what or need any of these version of amiga OS:  1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 1.4, 2.0, 2.04, or 2.1?.  I can maybe see wanting a version 1.0 or 1.2 roms to boot some old games but probably not the OS

As for 3.5, 3.9, and 3.9withBB2
Unless you are in a special situation, with a 68020 one would probably not want os 3.5
or 3.9
 just OS 3.9with bb2 and is that not still available?

How many times must it be said??!!??!!!!
They do not work on a real Amiga!!! And it is still equally illegal!!!

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145 :rtfm::rtfm::rtfm:
Hagbard Celine

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 06, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;635772

You seem to have missed that you only are legally allowed to use the WB disks and ROMs included in Amiga Forever for emulation purposes and not on a real Amiga. I even doubt that you are allowed to use the ROM image files for running WHDLoad or softkicking on a real Amiga.

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145

Edit: a few minutes late, drat :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:34:22 AM by Forcie »