Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS4 on old (PPC) Macs  (Read 32374 times)

Description:

Offline AMC258

• Show only replies by AMC258
    • http://www.AMC258.com/
Re: Amiga OS4 on old (PPC) Macs
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 02:59:01 AM »
I'd settle for a 603 based Mac.  I'd settle for any computer <$1000 complete that I could buy another copy of OS4 for.  I'm dying to buy my other half a computer for Christmas that she can actually use.  This UAE on XP garbage just doesn't do the job.  And, as much as she liked Solaris 10 on my UltraSparc, I want my last remaining UltraSparc back.
I will probably settle for a new MacMini.  Someday when I can get her an OS4 capable machine I can always sell the MacMini.
Get up!  Get up!  Get outta here!  GONE!
  - Bob Uecker

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 03:01:38 AM »

motorollin wrote:
I'm not counting on Hyp/AInc/ACube doing anything official. And I too am worried that there will be no future releases of OS4. So I have ordered a copy in anticipation of an unofficial "fix" being released which will allow it to run on a PPC Mac.

--
moto

That would be nice, Keep your motorollin... :-)
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 03:27:32 AM »

motorollin wrote:
I'm not counting on Hyp/AInc/ACube doing anything official. And I too am worried that there will be no future releases of OS4. So I have ordered a copy in anticipation of an unofficial "fix" being released which will allow it to run on a PPC Mac.
moto

I don't advocate piracy of any kind, but in this case I wish the person(s) who have figured out how to run OS4 on a MacMini would "accidentally" leak that information and/or code to the Net.  It would then be used with the same OS4 package that is being sold for the Classic PPC Amigas and would explode the sales of OS4 to ten times what is selling now.

It makes sense, as they are not making any money on proprietary hardware with the Classic version of OS4, so why not make money for sales of Classic OS4 to be used on any PPC Mac?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 03:28:21 AM »
I Have some older G4macs..(one is a Dual500)..if anyone is interested..let me know..hehe..
Let the experimenting begin..

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 03:57:09 AM »
It's not piracy, if you buy a program it's yours to do with as you please so long as you don't distribute it to others.  Parliament tried to change that in Australia, but in the end the argument was that basically, Holden (or Toyota or ...) can't tell you what to do with your car, why should software manufacturers be a separate category.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Faerytale

• Show only replies by Faerytale
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 04:20:42 AM »
"It's not piracy, if you buy a program it's yours to do with as you please so long as you don't distribute it to others"

You never "own" a software you buy. You only buy a license that gives you the right to use it.

You dont have the right to do whatever you want with it.
You have to agree to the license agreement of the specified software.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 04:38:37 AM »
I think we're still working this out.  There has never been a test of the shrink wrap license, at least in Australia.  I walk into a store and say I want to buy a copy of a program, the clerk hands it to me and charges me.  No one outside of IT has ever bought a license.  Even Apple is afraid to test it in court, if they find a mod for OS X that frees it from TPM they bully any site that hosts it, threatening lawsuits.  The threat from big lawyers is enough, it's how Microsoft keeps it's illegal trademarks like "Word," "Powerpoint" and "Windows."  Big money wins over the little guy's rights.

In the end the answer is probably "yes you bought the program but you are going to need deep pockets to defend that purchase."  The big corporations win by force what they cannot win legally.  It's really an open and shut case.  Walk into an Apple Store and ask to buy a copy of Leopard, the clerk hands it to you and runs your credit card - not once is the word license used or heard - case closed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:35 AM »
Just went to the Apple Store.  They talk about license in the description but when I actually add it to my cart it reads:

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
Part Number: MB021Z/A

The same as any other part.  Face it, license was back in the old mainframe days, both parties agreed on terms and they were set forth in a license.  Apple has no more right to tell me what I can or cannot do with Leopard than Toyota has to tell me what to do with my Tarago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Faerytale

• Show only replies by Faerytale
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 04:55:46 AM »
The clerk behind the desk dont give a {bleep} of licenses. He just want you to buy so he can get his share of money.
He probably havent got a clue about licenses anyway :)

But when you install the software, you probably have to click"Agree to license" before you can install it.

About toyota toragos, I dont know bleep :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2007, 05:50:24 AM »

Faerytale wrote:
The clerk behind the desk dont give a {bleep} of licenses. He just want you to buy so he can get his share of money.
He probably havent got a clue about licenses anyway :)

But when you install the software, you probably have to click"Agree to license" before you can install it.

About toyota toragos, I dont know bleep :)

Yes, you are right, but I don't think anyone is going to track me down and haul me off to court because I have bought one copy of OS4 for Classic Amigas with PPC cards and used a hack to install it on one G4 PowerBook, or MacMini that I own.

I for one would be willing to take that risk.  Who would I be hurting?  I could see that it "might" be a problem if Hyperion, Eyetech, or even Amiga Inc. had their own hardware they wanted to sell with OS4 pre-installed on it and this hack had a negative effect on sales of new hardware, but that is not the case.  There is NO NEW HARDWARE available.  And don't tell me you believe the crap about ACK actually building something that Amiga Inc. plans on selling?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2007, 06:35:56 AM »
Faerytale wrote:
"It's not piracy, if you buy a program it's yours to do with as you please so long as you don't distribute it to others"

You never "own" a software you buy. You only buy a license that gives you the right to use it.

You dont have the right to do whatever you want with it.
You have to agree to the license agreement of the specified software.

The EULA to which you are referring is *not* legally binding. An end user has no legal obligation to run software they buy only on the hardware the vendor wants him to. I have purchased a legal copy of OS4, and I am legally entitled to run it on whatever hardware I choose, and there's nothing AInc or anyone else can do about it.

Also, if somebody releases a patch for OS4 to allow it to run on non-Amiga hardware, then this is not piracy, since piracy refers to copyright theft, not the modification of software for which one owns a license.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline AMC258

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
No, it wouldn't hurt AInc, Hyperion, etc, that we know of.  But, what if they, or someone else is spending big bucks right now developing a new PPC board for us?  Who does that hurt?  Obviously the PPC board developer.  But, also, those of us who don't want to give up our A3000's for Mac hardware.  Do I really care though?  NO.  I would buy a few more Mac's and a lot more OS4.
  - Bob Uecker

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 12:01:56 AM »

AMC258 wrote:
No, it wouldn't hurt AInc, Hyperion, etc, that we know of.  But, what if they, or someone else is spending big bucks right now developing a new PPC board for us?  Who does that hurt?  Obviously the PPC board developer.

Yes, I'm sure ACK and Elbox are *HOT* on that market!  :roll:

Just make a patch already and I'm buying a copy. Frak AI and all their BS.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline lloyd_mk2

• Show only replies by lloyd_mk2
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 12:48:21 AM »
HI guys just read this thread and had the dream to run OS4 on a PS3 or XBOX360 as they have PowerPC chips.

P.S I know that’s never going to work (unfeasible) but its a nice idea.

Offline AMC258

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 01:18:57 AM »
Yes, I'm sure ACK and Elbox are *HOT* on that market!Just make a patch already and I'm buying a copy. Frak AI and all their BS.

I agree 100% with all but the Elbox part.  I thought for sure Elbox would have started some new advertisements the first day OS4 was officially announced for 'Classic`'s.  But I have a hard time imagining why they are being quiet considering they have no hardware to design, proof, and produce, and surely they would have worked out the software already.  Who knows though.. :-?  Maybe they actually have some sense and are looking into something even more modern, or maybe they're just having a hard time finding these old boards they were going to relabel!
  - Bob Uecker

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 05, 2007, 01:42:55 AM »
 What is needed is something similar to the Virtual PC dor the Mac which set up the enviroment for  various PC operating systems.It was possible to purchase VPC "bare" and you could then install any legal copy of Windows,i.e. the retail boxed one from the store that didn't specify what brand of computer.

Now why would installing a retail boxed OS4 be any different?

For the masochists or whatever;just install the VPC on your Mac, then install Windows and tweak it for best performance of Amiga Forever ! It should run almost as slow as the original.