Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 32795 times)

Description:

Offline chris

Re: New AGA SDL Development
« Reply #119 from previous page: June 05, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;736877
Why? You're not losing anything. It's rather the opposite, you can only win. The more people can work with the code, the better.

I disclose every source code I have ever written and I never had any bad experiences. I even had people pick up the code and send me patches which dramatically boosted development.

I do that on occasion, and people still send me bug reports rather than patches.
I've actually had more success with closed source projects - people ask for the source code, I provide it, and stuff actually gets done.

Having said that, it does annoy me when I find something on Aminet that I want to update, there's no source code and the developer is long gone.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
Quote from: Retrofan;736826

I suposse Nova's files will mean a faster NetSurf. Also Arti was looking about how to get rid of Ixemul. My best wishes to him/that.

Retro you REALLY NEED TO GET AN FPU lmao
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
Ok I've now released it to AmiNet -> http://aminet.net/package/dev/lib/SDL_AGA

Now go create some cool new AGA games with it :)

Future plans:

I think I might add the SDL Mixer to it one of these days, from my initial look at the source code it looks ok.  
When I get the time, I'd also like to try and add RTG support (copy the code over from the existing SDL).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:57:16 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline psxphill

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
Quote from: adrian82;736887
Well, no. AROS is open source, but they have weird license which isn't considered really free as far as I know.

MAME has a weird license, but AROS seems fine.

Offline tolkien

• Show only replies by tolkien
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Good news! I would like to know how fast is this baby.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;738475
MAME has a weird license, but AROS seems fine.

I had never read any of the MAME License until now.  interesting, basically open source but absolutely no distributing it for commercial uses.  

More on topic;

Awesome!  SDL for AGA should help make a lot of things that are open source be easier to port.

I'm probably going to be creating a separate post for this, but I'm working on some details.  But I have been thinking about ways in which we can improve the Amiga community as a whole and get more software written for the platform(s).  I'm wanting to dive into learning programming, and would prefer to do it on my Amiga, but there are so many road blocks to doing so.  Namely setting up a development environment isn't exactly easy.

I want a development environment much like Qt, where you can write once, and compile for multiple platforms.  How nice would it be to add AmigaOS 3.x, AmigaOS 4.x, AROS, MorphOS and others to the QtCreator, so that we can just select which OS to compile for, and push a button and let it build binaries.

Especially with SDL being available, it should be fairly simple to have a 'write once run everywhere' like Java attempted to accomplished.  (well okay, fairly simple is probably very subjective... but still... :D )

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;738495
I had never read any of the MAME License until now.  interesting, basically open source but absolutely no distributing it for commercial uses.  

More on topic;

Awesome!  SDL for AGA should help make a lot of things that are open source be easier to port.

I'm probably going to be creating a separate post for this, but I'm working on some details.  But I have been thinking about ways in which we can improve the Amiga community as a whole and get more software written for the platform(s).  I'm wanting to dive into learning programming, and would prefer to do it on my Amiga, but there are so many road blocks to doing so.  Namely setting up a development environment isn't exactly easy.

I want a development environment much like Qt, where you can write once, and compile for multiple platforms.  How nice would it be to add AmigaOS 3.x, AmigaOS 4.x, AROS, MorphOS and others to the QtCreator, so that we can just select which OS to compile for, and push a button and let it build binaries.

Especially with SDL being available, it should be fairly simple to have a 'write once run everywhere' like Java attempted to accomplished.  (well okay, fairly simple is probably very subjective... but still... :D )

slaapliedje

http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/amiga/products/cubic/index.html and http://www.geit.de/eng_sdi.html :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;738496
http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/amiga/products/cubic/index.html and http://www.geit.de/eng_sdi.html :)

Awesome!  How did I miss Cubic IDE in my searches.  Would be nice if EVERYTHING was on Aminet... :D

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
[youtube]FaMuopipN7o[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;738473

When I get the time, I'd also like to try and add RTG support (copy the code over from the existing SDL).

I have no interest in SDL for AGA but an optimized SDL for RTG could be really nice!!!

In the olden days when I looked at SDL it called a subroutine for EVERY SINGLE PIXEL in a blit.  It was mind bogglingly slow.  So I threw it overboard like a dead body and forgot about it.  But that was 10 years ago and hopefully things have improved now?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;735232
@matthey

Perhaps instead of breaking compatibility he should have renamed his version newixemul.library or something like that.

There are a grand total of 0 apps that look for "newixemul.library".  There are hundreds of apps that look for "ixemul.library".  Bernd named it the only logical name that he could possibly name it.

If you don't like the name you are free to rename the file yourself to any name you want.  I have done this myself back in the old days when ixemul was a bug ridden pile of trash, (back before Bernd rescued ixemul from oblivion): I renamed it to ixesux.library.

I have never tested Bernd's new version and hopefully never will. :)

Offline asymetrix

• Show only replies by asymetrix
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;738705
I have no interest in SDL for AGA but an optimized SDL for RTG could be really nice!!!

In the olden days when I looked at SDL it called a subroutine for EVERY SINGLE PIXEL in a blit.  It was mind bogglingly slow.  So I threw it overboard like a dead body and forgot about it.  But that was 10 years ago and hopefully things have improved now?

You could have just fixed it or report the error. Why deprive the users of something that could be so great.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
Quote from: asymetrix;738708
You could have just fixed it or report the error. Why deprive the users of something that could be so great.

It didn't need a "fix".  It needed a "total complete rewrite from the ground up".   SDL back then had innumerable interconnected problems.

Every time I have ever looked at Linux code it is always coded in the most totally inefficient manner possible.

I am hoping/assuming that all the problems have been fixed these days.

I have no pressing need for SDL at the moment but if an intelligent being such as NovaCoder stated that an SDL existed for RTG that was coded in a nonridiculous manner then I would at some point reinvestigate the possibility of using it.  The better it works, the more I want to use it.  But for right this exact second I can code in straight AmigaOS3.x (+- P96 and/or CGX)

One thing I need to look into is can SDL ports have Arexx ports?  Or something to the same effect?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;738705

Did you ever try the old WarpSDL?

http://www.algonet.se/~chaozer/warpsdl.shtml
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline chris

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;738710
One thing I need to look into is can SDL ports have Arexx ports?  Or something to the same effect?

Given the two things are entirely unconnected... sure, why not?
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
I think what he's asking is if there are some Arexx bindings that support SDL.  There are for other languages.  SDL is just an API, Arexx a scripting language.

There are perl bindings for it, so why not?  

What I'd like to see is Mesa ported to AGA... :D  of course that would probably perform horribly, but could allow for some other stuff to work.

slaapliedje