Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: found site with Amiga roms  (Read 3402 times)

Description:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: found site with Amiga roms
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 28, 2003, 01:35:09 PM »

Guyver wrote:
by AntonioX: Hay people if you take a look at the site they have games which get called roms. But it also has kick start 1.3 which is a real rom, now that should not be there!

I agree.
Since i cant imaging that they has the permission

So they may have some illegal stuff, thats true.

but besides from that, can any1 download from the site????

Nope!
That damn Superscout keeps us from having any fun here at work... :-P
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline GuyverTopic starter

• Show only replies by Guyver
    • http://*none*
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2003, 01:38:49 PM »
the same here :madashell:  :destroy:  :pissed:  :ranting:  :ranting:  :ranting:  :ranting:  :ranting:

i bloody hate that nipple-donkey firewall

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2003, 01:49:22 PM »

Lando wrote:

I see.  and can you tell me the exact timeframe after which a programmer has finished a project that it is ok to begin stealing his work?  1 year? 2 years?

Far be it from me to defend piracy, but I think you're just being anal now.

If people download "Moonstone", I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Where could they have bought it from?

Of course it's not up to us to say "one year (or whatever) has passed, it's OK to start 'stealing' (committing copyright infringements)".

If let's say a decade old game is no longer available for sale, it's dead. Gone. No more people will play it legally. If someone downloads it, it's alive and played.

Sure, the laws and principles of copyright persistence and ownership still apply (at least if the copyright owner is still around, IANAL), and maybe some day in the future that game might be released commercially again in a classic compilation or something.

It's a gray zone. I just don't see a reason to get upset and waste energy on this. If the copyright owner is still around and wishes to defend his copyright, it's up to him to enforce the issue.

I think that chasing this kind of "pirates" is like arresting people with dandruff for littering and environmental pollution. :)

There's "real" and commercially damaging piracy going on all the time, and the effort is better spent there.

Leave people with dandruff alone, and go after oil-dumping tanker ships and industries dumping hazardous waste, to stretch my comparison further... ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2003, 02:46:29 PM »
I really can't be bothered to go through this whole argument again, regardless of how many names (abandonware...) people make up to try to justify their stealing other people's property.

If you want to download LEGAL games for playing on UAE (or your real Amiga if you're not just an emu freak) then go to BTTR (www.back2roots.org).  All the games on there are legally available for download because the current copyright holder has given explicit permission.

If there's a game you would like to download (for example, the Team17 games have been mentioned) but you can't find it,  then you should email Martyn Brown at Team 17 and ask him if he'd be willing to release the game as freeware.  If he says no then accept it.

For most games, it shouldn't be too hard to find the current copyright holder.  Many of the old Amiga developers are still in business or have been bought out (for example, the rights to Ocean's and DID's games are now owned by Infogrames)

If people download "Moonstone", I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Where could they have bought it from?

Fine by me if they want to download Moonstone - the copyright holders have given their permission for the game to be made freely available.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2003, 02:54:36 PM »

Guyver wrote:
Like games from Team17, Core desing, Ocean, Bitmap Brothers......i'm sure you know the rest ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

So email the companies you mentioned (Ocean is no longer around but the rights to their back-catalogue is owned by Infogrames) and ask them!

So busy downloading "ROM"s that you don't have time to write an email?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2003, 02:59:23 PM »
Amiga.org site policy strictly prohibit's piracy, even linking to a pirate site.

Amiga Inc have clearly stated kickstart rom images are NOT to be freely distributed, therefore that site is a pirate site.

Furthermore the Amiga kickstart images are part of the commercial legal emulation emulation package Amiga Forever.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!