Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help My Cat! Direct download links.  (Read 652 times)

Description:

Offline BugalaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Bugala
    • http://www.ugalabugala.net
Re: Help My Cat! Direct download links.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »
Not directed at you personally, but it really messes with my OCD when people post links to a thing without actually posting about what the thing is.

More than 20 years ago, i had this idea for a game, but technology of  that time didnt allow me to realise it, now, over 20 years later,  technology have catched up with my dream... well, not really.

Over  20 years ago I had my first realisitically achievable game plan that i  was planning to make with Easy Amos. However, it became part of the  endless pile of unfinished programs that so many programmers are  familiar with - until today!

Today finally, the childhood dream  of a game have become reality. And what is great is that I happened to  make most of the graphics already back then, as well as the plan was  both complete and good enough, that I was able to follow it with only  small amount of changes.

I would say this is about 80 percent  like it had been, had i been able to make it already back then. Although  naturally Hollywood-language, which i used to finally make this, hadnt  been around then yet.

Musics used in game already existed at time  I made the plan, and I am quite convinced I had used exactly the one,  if not both of them then too.

This should have quite authentic feel to what early 90s teenager (or younger) could have got out back then.

I hereby present you:

Help My Cat!

Short gameplay video

A  small Platform Puzzle Adventure game, where you aim at getting a cat  down from a tree by using stuff lying around (bit like point'n'click  adventure in platform way). It takes maybe 30 minutes to complete, and  less than 2 minutes if you know the solutions to puzzles.

You may download it from Indiego! appstore:  http://www.indiego-gaming.com/marketplace for free under the "Games/Adventure"-category, available for AOS3, AOS4, AROS, MorphOS, PC, MAC, LINUX.

I  chose to use Indiego! appstore, since basically I wanted to have a  webpage dedicated to this game, but i wasnt willing to use the time to  make it, at least not yet, and I didnt want a simple link to dropbox  either.

Indiego! gave me good middle solution by providing a  little page for the game, plus an easy way to publish the several  different versions of the game. Without Indiego!, I dont think I would  have got this published yet. The knowledge that there was such a  suitable solution to my publishing problem existing actually gave me the  last push to do the last missing things for the game and get it finally  ready for release. Hence, I like to give special thanks to Indiego  appstore as well, although i didnt credit them in game.

Also thanks to Hypex and Barana for giving me feedback in final testing phase.
There, I fixed that for you.  ;)  Cute game, BTW!  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:42:57 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
Thanks for feedback oldmobile mike!

I felt too shy to copy-paste that original release text here. I felt like I would be spamming if I do that, hence I just put the link to the original topic.
But now that I think of it, how silly of me. Should have done what you did, after all, that is useful information to those who are looking for what this is even, and it might even be annoying having to click link to other forum to find out what this topic is about.

Thanks! I be wiser next time.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
Played it a while ago (while testing the appstore software). Thanks for a fun game! Really nice entertainment for some 15 minutes - my only complaint would be that it's too short ;)

Do you mind if I upload this to Aminet? The readme didn't mention anything about distribution.

Oh, btw: Are you sure those links are correct? They do work, but you're linking to an IP address...

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
@Cgutjahr

Thanks for comments!

They are important since I have a plan for a game with similar type of playing type and hence I am looking what people think about this one wether there is point in doing something similar or not.

So far response have been positive (from the few that have commented) and I am still keeping that game on my to-do queue.

It seems those IP-number address links were not meant to be that way, but due to where i log into my developer side of Indiego, those links were still shown with IP-numbers instead of indiego.rocks-address, and as i knew no better, I simply copy pasted them from there.

However, They do work, at least when i tried one.

Thanks for offering to upload them to Aminet. It would be good if you would upload them there and save me that trouble.

I unfortunately havent got around putting separate copyright notice about game, but parts that i have copyright to, may freely be distributed and reused in any way and form.

As far as i can recall, i own copyright to all but Music (Kyberjan/Cyberian/other names he have used...), Font (hollywoods basic font), oggvorbis parts (Hollywoods oggvorbis plugin) and other than talk Sounds.

Sounds are from Instant FX collection, except that all the talk sounds are made myself, and hence talk sounds may once again freely be used and distributed by anyone in any form.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:20:08 AM »
Quick Q:  I downloaded the OS3 version on my A2000 (had to copy it from my PC since the links don't work under IBrowse, "file not found", no big deal, haha).   Got the large "Help_My_Cat!.exe" file.  Tried to run it from Workbench and from "boot with no startup-sequence".  Both were no bueno.  Trying to run it from Workbench locked up the system, trying to run it from "boot with no startup-sequence" came back "Could not find version 0 of datatypes.library" error message.  Does this require AGA to play or is there something obvious that I'm missing?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
@Oldsmobile Mike.

Sorry, didnt come to my mind to point out that since it is Hollywood product, it requires GFX card when played with Classics.

It might also be bit power hungry for Classics. I have not tried it with classics, so I have no idea what the requirements are.

There is no reason why this game couldnt have been made to work with bare A500 (as it originally was intended to be Easy Amos game), but Hollywood doesnt support that possibility.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Bugala;789837
@Oldsmobile Mike.

Sorry, didnt come to my mind to point out that since it is Hollywood product, it requires GFX card when played with Classics.

It might also be bit power hungry for Classics. I have not tried it with classics, so I have no idea what the requirements are.

There is no reason why this game couldnt have been made to work with bare A500 (as it originally was intended to be Easy Amos game), but Hollywood doesnt support that possibility.

My A2000 has a Zorro II Spectrum gfx card and the latest version of P96 installed.  Also an '040 and 72MB of memory.  Might not be a PIV or an '060 but it's no slouch, for a classic system.  ;)  The game didn't even attempt to run, in any case.

Perhaps a list of requirements in order to run the software (i.e., specific libraries, drivers, etc.) might be in-order?  :)  I am not familiar with Hollywood.  Does it need like, I dunno, a "Hollywood.library", or something?

Offline cgutjahr

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
Quote from: Bugala;789829

Thanks for offering to upload them to Aminet. It would be good if you would upload them there and save me that trouble.

I uploaded the game to Aminet:

http://aminet.net/search?query=help_my_cat

Please let me know if you want something changed in the readme files (your real name?).

Btw.: The download links you provided in your original post stopped working a few hours ago. It's not related to the IP, the version phoenixkonsole suggested on amiga-news.de ("replace the IP with indiego.rocks/") doesn't work either.

Offline cgutjahr

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;789849

Btw.: The download links you provided in your original post stopped working a few hours ago.

Actually, they still work - you just need to accept Cookies or you'll get told the file couldn't be found. I'm pretty sure that was not the case yesterday, hence my initial warning.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

Unfortunately I am not able to try it out myself on Classic with GFX system, but I do know it works with Amikit.

However, PhoenixKonsole pointed me out at Amigaworld.net thread that I am using Ogg Vorbis. It didnt come to my mind at all before, but it is true that Ogg Vorbis might be bit on a heavy side for Classic Machines. Maybe that is why it is crasgin right from beginning.
As far as I know, there shouldnt be any need for any kind of libraries or extras by Hollywood itself for AOS3 versions to work. Hollywood links itself inside the exe, so even simple "Hello World" program will take close to 2Mb for that reason. And for that too I suppose there is no need for anything extra as i suppose all that is needed is in that 2 Mbs that Hollywood always uses for its .exe files.

I will take a look hopefully in couple of days time if I can change the game to use MOD musics and Wav sounds instead of ogg to give classics a chance to actually run it.

I just remember that at some point (in this or some other project) i was trying to use MODs but problem was that Hollywoods Mod player didnt support some basic speed changing thing making songs play at wrong speed or something like that. That however was at time of Hollywood version 4, so it might have changed already, and in addition it might not be a problem with these specific Mods anyway.

Based upon that i anyway at that point decided to use MP3, Oggs in future, but it didnt come to my mind at all how heavy they are for classics to play.

@cgutjahr

Thanks a lot for uploading them, and good text you wrote there. You made little but good changes to the original text to make them bit more readable and better sounding. It sounds almost like someone would be introducing the game in Amiga Future Magazine.

Cant think any changes right now, except maybe warn about that Ogg vorbis power hunger to AOS3 version, as I guess with Ogg Vorbis used currently, it might be unplayable with real Classics even with GFX card.