Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worms Nostalgia  (Read 2697 times)

Description:

Offline Mike_AmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
Worms Nostalgia
« on: February 07, 2003, 10:24:28 PM »
This isn't a thread to state your favourite games in, it is dedicated to the game "Worms" but if you want to mention your experience of similar games feel free.

Does anybody else have fond memories of this brilliant title.

I used to go to my friends house and play it on his P90. Top of the range PC at the time. Anyway, we both had specific sets of team names and stuff, here's mine.

Mikes Psychos:

Psycho (Team Captain, although it didn't make much difference),
Swinger Killer,
Squidgy,
Spungey (The way I would spell it),
Slasher.

I remember recording our own sound set, including many naughty words and rude comments while my friends parents were out. These later worked to devastating comic effect within certain scenarios. :-P

I got obsessed with the tune that came on the CD ROM for a while as well, ah, sad little me.:-D Got it on tape somewhere.

Hogs of war is like a 3D Worms, only with Pigs on Playstation, I’d love to be able to tamper with the sound set on that. Although the voices provided by Rick Mail were top notch.

Another Example of a 3D worms game is Imp Fodder on the Mac, you only have one weapon and a repetitive sound set but it was Freeware I suppose.

Warm fuzzy memories. :-D  :-P  :-)
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Worms Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 10:34:31 PM »
it would be cool to have a new version of that on the amiga i guess! an RTG compliant one!
i wouldnt want to program one though :(

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 10:50:31 PM »
I loved those worm games untill Worms armageddon came which imo lost the feeling of a great game,

Worms DC would be outstanding if it was playable online.

Offline Bezzen

• Show only replies by Bezzen
    • http://www.streammountain.se
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 12:36:44 AM »
Well, Worms 3 is coming up... perhaps something for Hyperion once they're done with OS4?  :-D

Team 17's Worms 3 site

Oh, and I used to play Worms to death.. both on my Amiga and on a friend's PSX.

edit: aaron spelling

Offline Rob

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 12:40:38 AM »
I've still got DC on my hard drive but it just doesn't seem as fun
having played World Party.  I'd definately get it if there was an
Amiga release.

Offline fragment

• Show only replies by fragment
    • http://www.fragment.fi/
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 10:16:39 AM »
Ahh, just spent 3 euros to the original copy of Worms (amiga) Now all I need is an Amiga1200, because it's not too pretty with 1meg OCS Amiga500 but works  :-D

Offline chris

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 11:03:40 AM »
I love WormsDC - fire it up now and again but it is better playing it against proper human players than the computer.  My team was/is called "The Bobs", with team members Uncle Bob, Robert, Bob and Bobbie (the useless worm).

Hyperion have a licence to port Worms: Armageddon, but this has been put on hold, mostly due to OS4 I assume.  When it is released I imagine it will now be an OS4-only title.

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 11:42:55 AM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
This isn't a thread to state your favourite games in, it is dedicated to the game "Worms" but if you want to mention your experience of similar games feel free.

Does anybody else have fond memories of this brilliant title.

I used to go to my friends house and play it on his P90. Top of the range PC at the time. Anyway, we both had specific sets of team names and stuff, here's mine.

Mikes Psychos:

Psycho (Team Captain, although it didn't make much difference),
Swinger Killer,
Squidgy,
Spungey (The way I would spell it),
Slasher.

I remember recording our own sound set, including many naughty words and rude comments while my friends parents were out. These later worked to devastating comic effect within certain scenarios. :-P

I got obsessed with the tune that came on the CD ROM for a while as well, ah, sad little me.:-D Got it on tape somewhere.

Hogs of war is like a 3D Worms, only with Pigs on Playstation, I’d love to be able to tamper with the sound set on that. Although the voices provided by Rick Mail were top notch.

Another Example of a 3D worms game is Imp Fodder on the Mac, you only have one weapon and a repetitive sound set but it was Freeware I suppose.

Warm fuzzy memories. :-D  :-P  :-)

I gotta admit that I was a bit of a Worms: The Directors Cut addict. At the local Amiga users group meetings we'd get 4 to play against each other. hell of alot of fun. Especially when using the Holy Hand Grenade... "Allalluya... BOOOOM" Would always get out a chuckle (especially if an unfortunate worm/worms ended up going off the screen ;)
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM

Offline JoNty

• Show only replies by JoNty
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 12:11:26 PM »
I once ran a Worms download site, where the original and Worms DC were available in ADF and HD installed form.

I may very well re-make it.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 04:49:30 PM »
@JoNty

That would be good. :-D

I've just remembered another similar game that came free with PC Basic, programmed in the language for an example I think.

It involved  2 Gorillas lobbing bananas at each other on various landscapes. It was a turn based game using angles and powering up how hard your gorilla would throw his banana. Can't remember if it had a ramdom varying wind or not, I think it did.

Feel free to correct me. ;-)
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2003, 05:41:03 PM »
Worms brings back many memories.  If it wasn't for Worms, I'd probably never have got into Amigas

Cast you minds back....way back.. It's late November/Early December 1997 and I'm doing my GCSE mocks.  Because I lived 3 miles from the school (and the buses were crap) I ended up spending my study time around freinds houses.  i got out of the first exam late and went over to my best mate Al's house.  

I was greeted my his Mum "Erm, I hope you don't actually want to get any revision done here Andy." looking around the corner there were about 6 or 7 of my mates were crammed into the office (which was basically the cupboard under the stairs) blowing the living crap out of each other's worms while MTV blasted away in the room next door.

Needless to say we spend the rest of the study leave during the mocks playing worms non-stop and listening to music at unhealthy volumes. :-D :-D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wipe away this nostalgic tear.....

Offline uncharted

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 05:48:05 PM »

Paul_Gadd wrote:
I loved those worm games untill Worms armageddon came which imo lost the feeling of a great game,

Worms DC would be outstanding if it was playable online.

Personnally I felt it lost it quite a bit after the first one (i've never played DC though), I remember spending ages helping my mate upgrade his P75 in order to play Worms 2 and being very dissapointed when playing it.

That said I was very much looking forward to playing Worms Armageddon on the AmigaOne  back when it was due Summer 2001.  Oh well :-(

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 05:55:22 PM »
I have seen Worms Armourgeddon on the N64 and have to say it looks horrible. Yes the graphics have more detail etc, which is usually good. Thing is it looks restricting. Sort of like zooming in. Not good!

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 06:04:04 PM »
 :-PLooks like my friend Keith had a better pentium than yours :-P

Not that, that's anything to gloat about. :-D

Nice none political thread this isn't it? :-?  :-)

I bought the miggy version for my A500 but the sound didn't work so I took it back. I'd have thought with games like Valhala around that a standard A500 with a Meg should be able to run this, no trouble. It wasn't all that graphically complex.

AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline uncharted

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 06:14:29 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
 :-PLooks like my friend Keith had a better pentium than yours :-P

Not that, that's anything to gloat about. :-D

Nice none political thread this isn't it? :-?  :-)

I bought the miggy version for my A500 but the sound didn't work so I took it back. I'd have thought with games like Valhala around that a standard A500 with a Meg should be able to run this, no trouble. It wasn't all that graphically complex.

Worms was very limited on 1MB machines.  You really needed 2MBs to play it properly.  I'll probably get kicked in the head for saying this, but the PC version (I'm talking about the original here) was waaaay better than the Amiga version.  As i said before, I never played DC so I don't know about that.

Worms 2 saw an amazing leap in minimum requirements, most of which was probably down to being a win95 program :-(