Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?  (Read 7619 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
There have been plenty of 'best game' threads, but what is the absolute worst commercial game for Amiga in your opinion?

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
Re: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:08:22 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;659619
There have been plenty of 'best game' threads, but what is the absolute worst commercial game for Amiga in your opinion?

Gloom 3 was pretty terrible.  Same great engine as the previous games but with some poorly drawn home-made graphics which made it look like a PD game knocked up in Dpaint.

http://youtu.be/WMazTlO9Vco
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:11:22 PM by danwood »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
About 75% of them were technically beneath the OCS abilities IMHO.

Arcade conversions except simple games like Rainbow Islands etc were comically bad.

Powerdrift/Outrun/Outrun Turbo/Chase HQ are all only useful for scooping up dog turds.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;659624
About 75% of them were technically beneath the OCS abilities IMHO.

This.

Nothing ground my gears more than seeing straight EGA ports of games that the Amiga should have swallowed and had rattling around inside it.  

For me the worst game I actually paid money for was Hillsfar (an allegedly AD&D based game).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:11 PM »
For me, it has to be Forgotten Worlds.  The graphics look great, but the game is completely unplayable due to the ludicrous controls.  It's simply an atrocity.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:25:34 AM by orb85750 »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
Quote from: danwood;659620
Gloom 3 was pretty terrible.  Same great engine as the previous games but with some poorly drawn home-made graphics which made it look like a PD game knocked up in Dpaint.

http://youtu.be/WMazTlO9Vco

Wow, I've never seen someone gunned down with a hotdog before...
int p; // A

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;659625
This.

Nothing ground my gears more than seeing straight EGA ports of games that the Amiga should have swallowed and had rattling around inside it.

Or ST conversions.  ;)  

There's too many "bad" games to list. I agree with the 3/4 or more percentage really. This is yet another way in which the Amiga and its users were gypped. With very few excepetions, action/arcade gaming on computers back then really was a joke compared to consoles. The more Amiga games from yore I try out, the more it becomes clear to me why pirating was such a big deal back then. Majority of it simply wasn't worth the high asking price that in some cases, were as much or more than their console counterparts! Still, like to collect the buggers though. Box artwork, pretty static pictures and its marketing hype is typically more entertaining than the actual game itself.  :lol:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
Sometimes im glad nobody i knew had a console when i grew up :) we played amiga versions of strider and street fighter and thought they were pretty good.

Okay so not Strider but you get the point :)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 01:07:01 AM »
There was a game I bought in Electronics Boutique shortly before they gave up selling Amiga stuff which is a likely candidate. It was some sort of turn-based submarine strategy game. I bought it on a whim one day to support the small remaining Amiga market, but it was so bad I returned it for a refund.

No manual, and took 3 attempts to boot on my standard A1200, only to be greeted by an interlaced black & white screen with impossible-to-read text, no sound, and no way of knowing what I was supposed to be doing. There were a couple of gadgets I could click which were copies of Mac OS 7 gadgets, but couldn't figure out what they did.

I can't remember what it was called, and I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the internet, but the developers should still be ashamed of themselves for that atrocity.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline EgillSkallagrimsson

• Show only replies by EgillSkallagrimsson
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 02:14:18 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;659625
For me the worst game I actually paid money for was Hillsfar (an allegedly AD&D based game).

This was the only game I had on a crappy old Amstrad CGA (mind you, this was well into the VGA era) PC for nearly a year as a child. Those were dark times...:lol:
Escom A4000T (CS-PPC, Picasso IV, Deneb, DVD burner, scsi->ide->cf adapter, 36gb scsi hdd, 750zip)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:38:24 AM »

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 04:20:29 AM »
Hi,

It is actually easier to do the best game threads, since there was so many rotten games brought out for the Amiga.

To me Electronic Arts games where the worst, you had to look at the time they were made, so you could determine which Amiga they ran on. Due to Electronic Arts copy protection every time they came out with a new Amiga system, the old games wouldn't play on it, you had to wait for the new games to come out. So to keep up with the new games you had to buy a new system, if you played Electronic Arts games.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
The game Top Banana is often mentioned in "worst game" type of threads, and I simply have to try it out one day :)

In my opinion there is almost a certain "quality" with being crap as well, because both the greatest and the most crap games will always be remembered, but just think about all the mediocre games that are long since forgotten.

Another thing is that everybody needs something or someone to hate :)

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Quote from: orb85750;659619

As much as I love this game: Quake. Amiga port was just a mistake. Releasing game which couldn't run propely on any Amiga at that time..

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
Honestly, Quake wasn't the first or the worst of such games. It's funny - in the PC market when a game would come out that simply wouldn't run at full speed on any computer at the time of its release was not a big deal - you just waited a while until new HW came out that could run it well (Strike Commander, Ultima VIII...). On Amiga in the second half of the 90s the 060 accelerators came out, but that was it - of course nobody knew at the time. So games that don't run that well on the 060 are basically only playable on UAE (maybe Natami or some FPGA in the future).

I personally think AB3D2 was much worse optimized than any Quake port. But that may be just my problem, because other people have apparently played it on 040 and it ran well (I've never tried patching the game). Quake on 060 with RTG is actually very playable (and a much better game than AB3D2 I might add...).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:34:17 AM by koshman »
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD