Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How-to: Miami and WHDLoad  (Read 745 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

How-to: Miami and WHDLoad
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
As we all know, network (and USB) stacks need to be disabled before running WHDLoad, and this is usually done in the S:WHDLoad-Startup script.

Previously, I had a line in the script that was simply:
Code: [Select]
SYS:RexxC/RX 'ADDRESS MIAMI.1 OFFLINE'
This would take Miami offline, but WHDLoad would throw up an error message if Miami wasn't running (obviously the command would fail since the MIAMI.1 port wasn't open).

Having finally learned the correct ARexx command to check for an ARexx port (SHOW()), I revised the command:
Code: [Select]
SYS:RexxC/RX "IF SHOW(PORTS,MIAMI.1) = 1 THEN ADDRESS MIAMI.1 OFFLINE"
Now WHDLoad will start quietly regardless of whether Miami is open or not. To adapt these for S:WHDLoad-Cleanup, simply replace OFFLINE with ONLINE.

I hope this is helpful to other Miami users!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: How-to: Miami and WHDLoad
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;828441
As we all know, network (and USB) stacks need to be disabled before running WHDLoad

Which is hit-or-miss, because WHDLoad can also check for new versions of files (when it detects a TCP stack running).  I've had intermittent luck with this.  Thanks for the tips, anyway!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline vince_6

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »
Same here, I did manage to get it work for sometime with the nointernet command on my wifi.
Doesn't work anymore though...
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;828445
Which is hit-or-miss, because WHDLoad can also check for new versions of files (when it detects a TCP stack running).  I've had intermittent luck with this.  Thanks for the tips, anyway!  :)

Oh, I'd forgotten about that feature - I think I have it turned off on my A2000. I *think* it executes the startup script after those version check actions, so taking the stack offline in the script (as opposed to manually taking it offline before double-clicking a game icon) will still allow those checks to run *and* prevent the stack from interfering once the game starts. Best of both :)