Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How fast is MorphOS?  (Read 6718 times)

Description:

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
Re: How fast is MorphOS?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 09:16:09 PM »
Morphos is exactly as fast as terminal velocity allows from my hand to the trash heap, which is to say about 3msec.

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 09:32:51 PM »
@cymric

the MOS VM system is not yet in the public release.  When it is included, more detail will be provided.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 11:53:26 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Believe me, MOS on Pegasos feels a lot faster than UAE on any PC, gigahertz CPU or not. Pure emulators just don't come close.

What about against a ~2.2Ghz Athlon XP, Radeon 9800 Pro, nForce 2 400 Ultra and 1Gb 400FSB DDR SDRAM (dual channel 512Mb x2)?
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2003, 12:00:25 AM »
@Hammer

Quoting that you're paying a lot more for the PC and no guarantee you'll be faster.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2003, 12:45:49 AM »
Deleted double post…

Offline Hammer

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2003, 12:47:19 AM »
@downix

Quoting that you're paying a lot more for the PC

That factor was not taken into an account in regards to Kenny's post...

Memory and video card factors are variable factors (these can change with minimal impact on the emulation speed) .

Athlon XP 2700+ (~2.16Ghz)($~126), 2x PC3200 256Mb ($~36 each) and Leadtek/Chaintech ($~59) nForce2 should be cheaper than $299 USD mark.

and no guarantee you'll be faster.

Just post some benchmarks…

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2003, 01:02:43 AM »
hammer wrote:

What about against a ~2.2Ghz Athlon XP, Radeon 9800 Pro, nForce 2 400 Ultra and 1Gb 400FSB DDR SDRAM (dual channel 512Mb x2)?

If you buy me one I'll be sure to compare it fairly and honestly. ;-)

Oh, I didn't get a chance to thank you for finding my PC motherboard details earlier (the Quake2 thread). With your help I was able to bite the bullet and quickly pick a 512MB DIMM for the PC. It's much more responsive now (namely it no longer takes 3 minutes to load IE). Thanks!

Offline Athlon

• Show only replies by Athlon
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2003, 08:55:42 AM »
 I can't wait to build my Pegasos PC in September when it is supposed to be available in The U.S.A... I have heard that it boots up in five seconds.... :-D Oh yes when booting up Moph OS ! :-P

Offline Dietmar

• Show only replies by Dietmar
    • http://devplex.awardspace.biz
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 10:07:18 AM »
>I think that GoldED, like any other event-driven program, spends most of its time waiting for user input rather than in OS-functions.

Doesn't help much. Event-driven applications may idle along most of the time but when user input arrives, it still has to be processed quickly. In the case of GoldED, scrolling is a demanding scenario: while a user scrolls through a C source code, each word is compared against 16000 known words before it is displayed. If spellchecking is on, it is additionally compared against megabytes of dictionary content. There are other CPU-banging functions on top of that. A fast computer is not wasted on it. A G3@600 can run it reasonably fast but it's not fast enough to avoid getting friendly with gcc in the long term (to have room for more CPU-banging features :)

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2003, 11:19:16 AM »
I would expect MorphOS with JIT to be faster than this, definitely.  Btw exactly how did you do the test? I could do it, but I'm not sure  what you mean. Decoding a single jpeg doesn't take enough time to  clock it.. I'm not familiar with Collector, maybe there's some batch  mode that you used. I could try it if you'd like some hard figures.

It´s a thumbnail program so I made a index from a directory with  33 jpgfiles. Also note that it is made for 256 color screens it´s only half speed at 24bit screens. The libaries it uses to decode jpg is available for ppc, i think.

Since the 600Mhz G3 is half the speed of UAEJIT then the G4 1GHz will be the same speed as UAEJIT?
When will MorphOS get JIT?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2003, 12:38:56 PM »
downix wrote:
the MOS VM system is not yet in the public release.  When it is included, more detail will be provided.

Well, that's the not-yet-included VM subsystem---what does MorphOS do currently? Is it flat, or paged? Or perhaps a combination? (While it's too bad that there isn't any more information available, I respect that decision. There has been too much flaming going on regarding VM on the Amiga anyway.)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2003, 12:48:31 PM »
@Dietmar:

Yes, of course, that's the challenge of an editor: do as much as possible in as little time as you can. But as I understood the original statement is that it was claimed---or at least hinted at---that the efficiency of the OS (functions) was the root cause for GoldED's speed. While in fact it is simply the 600 MHz of computing power, as you so clearly explained. I must say that what you wrote down surprised me: a 600 MHz CPU not yet fast enough for an editor...? Wow. You did a helluva job on the original then, which ran very well on my A4000. Then again, I suspect the program has evolved considerably since I last used it.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Prod

• Show only replies by Prod
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2003, 01:27:37 PM »
@Athlon
Hmm, what do you mean by 'Pegasos PC'? :-)
But if you are getting a real Pegasos1 then drool not to fast, althogh it is a fantastic piece of machinery that 5 second bootup time is a silly joke that should never have been mentioned in public. First time I booted my Pegasos there were PC guys in the room, how embarrasing for me, luckily it was still faster than an average PC so they did not notice something was not as it should have been. A typical Pegasos boot is around 28 seconds, but the OS itself will indeed boot in a very decent 2.6 seconds, the rest of the time is spent doing some nasty hardware tests or whatever, this should be fixed in Pegasos2. The 68k emulator in 1.3 is supposed to be an exact emulation of a 060, no slower or faster, but like Kronos said, programs spend a lot of time in OS-functions and those are PPC, even if it is a 68k program, and since this is all happening on modern hardware, especially the gfxcard, then everything goes much much much faster than an elderly classic Amiga. :-)

Offline Dietmar

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
>Since the 600Mhz G3 is half the speed of UAEJIT then the G4 1GHz will be the same speed as UAEJIT?

Question makes no sense ;) The G3 can not be "half speed of UAE JIT" because any speed difference obviously depends on the PC you throw at it, not just UAE's JIT: A G3-based Pegasos without JIT may very well be much faster than UAE/JIT. And vice versa. Faster or slower is very much a matter of Ghz. Also, please keep in mind that we are talking about how fast classic m68k code is executed, ie. "old software". This thread is not about the speed of the G3 but about the speed of the emulator. That said, some comments on speed:

I've previously posted some of my own timed tests. As far as I can tell from those, both emulators reach about the same speed on "similiar" hardware (that's of course a very loose, crude, questionable term). Compilation was used as benchmark because it primarily tests the emulation rather than the OS. The result is surprising because MorphOS does not yet have JIT. Given the effect JIT had on UAE - it made my UAE benchmarks seven times faster - a G3 with JIT should be a very fast platform for running classic software.

>When will MorphOS get JIT?

JIT has been announced for MorpHOS 1.4, making it a matter of days, I guess. As to the original question, I don't know what effect G4 will have on the emulator. 400 MHz isn't a massive difference and the CPU is only one of many components.

Offline Dietmar

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2003, 01:56:05 PM »
> I must say that what you wrote down surprised me: a 600 MHz CPU not yet fast enough for an editor...?

There are editors and there are editors, it's all a matter of features. Old Amiga editors obviously were designed for the hardware at that time. They run fine with 8 MHz. Hardware gets better, features get better, CPU takes some hits. Compared to good developer-quality PC editors like Source Insight, GoldED is harmless in that regard: those editors compile code in the background (incremental compilation), analyze and tag source codes, build class trees and do a lot of other amazing things.

Btw, I didn't write that a G3/600 is not yet fast enough but that it runs GoldED (ie. emulated software) reasonably fast and that more feature would require a gcc port, ie. a native version.

Offline DanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 04, 2003, 06:33:09 PM »
>Since the 600Mhz G3 is half the speed of UAEJIT then the G4 1GHz will be the same speed as UAEJIT?
   Question makes no sense ;) The G3 can not be "half speed of UAE JIT" because any speed difference obviously depends on the PC you throw at it, not just UAE's JIT: A G3-based Pegasos without JIT may very well be much faster than UAE/JIT. And vice versa. Faster or slower is very much a matter of Ghz. Also, please keep in mind that we are talking about how fast classic m68k code is executed, ie. "old software". This thread is not about the speed of the G3 but about the speed of the emulator. That said, some comments on speed:

Sorry, what I meant was that Morphos without JIT is equal in speed to UAE with JIT on a MHz for Mhz basis, meaning that a 1Ghz Pegasos would be as fast as my  1Ghz PC?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!