Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New A-EON Music Card for Classic Amigas  (Read 45638 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: New A-EON Sound Card for Classic Amigas
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Quote from: Linde;750583
What kind of performance would I have using this on the A1200 clock port? Seems like a cool card, I'm just speaking as the owner of a Zorro-less machine.

From the press release it sounds like it will only do 8-bit when connected via the clock port.

This is a great product. Sorely needed by the Amiga community.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;750593
"Bigger" is subjective, I'd wager that more Prisma soundcards get sold than all OS4 motherboards combined.

Its good AEON have a product for Classic lovers, maybe it will bring more love back to the fact Trevor is doing serious things and AmigaOS software and hardware development has been quite advanced since he appeared.

On the side note, I doubt there will be so many Zorro sound cards produced as there were few hundred OS4 mobos so far. You are way more optimistic how many people have big old Classics like 2000/3000/4000 up and working and want to invest in hardware for it.

But may it sell every one made,as for any AEON product :hammer:
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline spirantho

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;750604
From the press release it sounds like it will only do 8-bit when connected via the clock port.

The data bus on the clock port is 8-bit, but the card does the dirty work decoding the data - and however you're sending your OGG Vorbis file or MP3 of whatever (or even WAV) it makes no difference to the result as the supplied data is the same - it just takes twice as many writes across the bus (as it's 8 bits at a time instead of 16).

@nicholas

Access is done via a library but I'm not sure of how open it's going to be (though I'm making it as easy to use as possible). That's an AmigaKit decision....

@Matt_H

Thanks, I'll take a look!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;750604

8bit data transfers between CPU and sound processor, due to nature of clockport.
The sound processor works at same bit rates as in Zorro operation.

Michael

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
New hardware for real amigas are always welcome, but i dont see the point of a soundcard at this times... and will see the prices.
a1200 060

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 12:25:56 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;750628
New hardware for real amigas are always welcome, but i dont see the point of a soundcard at this times... and will see the prices.

Actually what I really wanted to see is a brand new 68k CPU upgrade. If physically possible and could be done to upgrade the CPU speed from 50 Mhz and even the avoided overclocked 100 Mhz to something like real 100 Mhz to 200 Mhz. If 68k can go as fast as 500 Mhz...it would be an awesome welcome....this way with such speed it will give a decent freedom to implement more complex and CPU consuming software and/or applications.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:42 AM »
aeon funding it sounds like an attempt to win the fans of genuine Amigas over, however depending on pricing it may be an interesting item at least for some. and as its pretty obvious there are still quantities more operational Amigas out there than all the os4 Hardware, it might sell well.

edit: i see it a little half hearted though. if they are about to drawn million dollars in hardware architecture for an os that is not actively developed, they did better to sponsor amiga fpga development instead of such high specialized gadgets.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:28:03 AM by wawrzon »

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:41 AM »
If we give them some Classic Amiga peripheral sales that they can wrap their head around, they may consider doing more for us.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:40 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;750641
If we give them some Classic Amiga peripheral sales that they can wrap their head around, they may consider doing more for us.

Yes that's correct, at least they are doing something for us Classic users and should be thanked for the effort.

I assume AmigaKit had rather a strong influence on this project ;)

Hopefully it will be a successful project and they'll produce some new bits in the future.

Not sure exactly how this would fit inside an A1200 desktop, I guess big box Amiga's are the target audience.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 05:12:07 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;750642
Yes that's correct, at least they are doing something for us Classic users and should be thanked for the effort.

I assume AmigaKit had rather a strong influence on this project ;)

Hopefully it will be a successful project and they'll produce some new bits in the future.

Not sure exactly how this would fit inside an A1200 desktop, I guess big box Amiga's are the target audience.

Good because I am ordering an A4000D and will find an accelerator to turn it into a 68060 running at 100 Mhz speed. This card will be nice to have inside the machine.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:02:36 AM »
Here's the details of the audio processor used: http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1063.html

I wonder if it will be possible to use this to encode to MP3 the audio coming from Paula, as encoding is one of its major features.

The data transfer width (16 for Zorro, 8 for clockport) will merely affect the max bitrate that can be fed into the device.  I have no idea what the A1200 clockport can achieve, bandwidth-wise (1.75MB/s is suggested at http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24079 - that's enough for several MP3 streams).

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;750629
Actually what I really wanted to see is a brand new 68k CPU upgrade. If physically possible and could be done to upgrade the CPU speed from 50 Mhz and even the avoided overclocked 100 Mhz to something like real 100 Mhz to 200 Mhz. If 68k can go as fast as 500 Mhz...it would be an awesome welcome....this way with such speed it will give a decent freedom to implement more complex and CPU consuming software and/or applications.

It's not going to happen - getting ASICs fabbed these days isn't cheap if you want 500MHz CPUs. There are ASIC sharing companies, where multiple designs are taped out at the same time onto the same masks, maybe that would be an option.

But before all that, you need a compatible CPU core. TG68 is fine for a low-end core, but would it clock up to 500MHz? There is the Apollo core, but that's very new. Maybe in a couple of years there will be FPGAs with it in that aren't horribly expensive, with ~100MHz cores.

And I guess you could then have a very fast clockport to go with it!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »
Michael

We are so happy to have you designing new classic hardware for us THANK YOU AMIGA HERO.

And thanks AEON classic projects are an exciting addition to the NG hardware and can only help both markets.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;750641

dont fall for it. its them they want to wrapo our head around not the opposite;) said that buy the card if it suits you, its a welcome development, but dont expect any political consequences.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
Quote from: Hattig;750650
It's not going to happen - getting ASICs fabbed these days isn't cheap if you want 500MHz CPUs.

when you are starting to shelve out millions to make ppc a valid desktop architecture again you might as well build 68k asic ;P..

But before all that, you need a compatible CPU core. TG68 is fine for a low-end core, but would it clock up to 500MHz? There is the Apollo core, but that's very new. Maybe in a couple of years there will be FPGAs with it in that aren't horribly expensive, with ~100MHz cores.

And I guess you could then have a very fast clockport to go with it!

lets see what that apollo actually is when majsta releases his new firmwaare.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 21, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
OMG. The suspicion and sarcasm is really quite surprising.  Classic hardware for Zorro or clockport is really most welcome. The reason they are making the product is because they have determined there is a market (DEMAND) and a profit (RETURN).  This is how the world works.
Where be these enemies? See what scourge is laid upon your hate. How you find a means to kill your joys with love. All are punish'd.
 The Sun for sorrow should not show it's head.