Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...  (Read 24046 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Keep your piss to yourself!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
Quote from: RMK305;617322
Be sure to get the 40VOL. Here is the one I used:

http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=515713

Try it with the oxy before forking out £25 for 5 litres of the stuff along with a black light. I never experienced any blooming on my case and I did apply the stuff before going to work in the morning so it was on for over 8 hours at a time.

Thanks for that info, I would have bought the wrong one... :)

I'll buy that first and give it a try, one last question if I may, did you just steep the stuff in it with the oxy or did you make the paste and brush it on... :)

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »
@ Xdelusion

Are you taking the piss here or giving it away... ;)

@ tone007

If I do need some UV light there's not much chance of finding it from the sun here in Scotland (summer or winter). Gonna pick up one of those UV blacklights anyway, they only cost about 6 quid so it's quite cheap... :)

Who knows, maybe even get a wee bit of a sun tan from it or shrivel up altogether... :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 12:06:55 AM »
Quote from: tone007;617327
Keep your piss to yourself!

You don't have to use my piss, anyone's piss will do. Trust me, it will not add more yellow to your case and it WILL work. The Natives used to use this technique. It's all natural.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
I use piss to whiten the corners of buildings or the occasional whitewall tire.

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617331

I'll buy that first and give it a try, one last question if I may, did you just steep the stuff in it with the oxy or did you make the paste and brush it on... :)

It's a thickish paste out of the bottle and after adding the Oxy I just layed the parts out on an old towel and brushed it on - I did not add Xanthan gum or Glycerine, it was thick enough as is. It would "foam" after being left for a few hours, but I presume this was the reaction with the oxy.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617335
If I do need some UV light there's not much chance of finding it from the sun here in Scotland (summer or winter).

Yeah, the sun's a real pain in the ass around here, I've gotten a sunburn on the top of my head and I'm not even bald!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:37 AM »
Quote from: RMK305;617345
It's a thickish paste out of the bottle and after adding the Oxy I just layed the parts out on an old towel and brushed it on - I did not add Xanthan gum or Glycerine, it was thick enough as is. It would "foam" after being left for a few hours, but I presume this was the reaction with the oxy.

Cheers mate, just ordered a bottle of each of the cream & liquid stuff. I'll try pasting the cream on the cases and big stuff and try soaking the keys and fidely bits in the liquid... :)

No idea though how long it take them to deliver as nothing is mentioned on the website about delivery times...

@tone007

You could try some on your head then and see if it takes the redness away, or failing that move to Scotland and within a year you'll be as white as a ghost... :)

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617335

If I do need some UV light there's not much chance of finding it from the sun here in Scotland (summer or winter).

Hey Franko, if you're not in a hurry, send the parts over here! I'm sure that in 4 more months there will be enough sun light to get the job done. (Provided I don't over sleep, blink or forget to schedule that day on my calendar.):cool:

<------ P.S. Just noticed that this is my post number 444, that's kind of significant like 666 only 222 less!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:00:16 AM by AmigaEd »
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:02 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617288
Has anyone here tried making that Retr0Bright stuff for de-yellowing Amiga keyboards, cases etc...

Retr0Bright

I have been trying it myself and the results were diddly squat... :(

I bought some Hydogen Peroxide (6% vol) from the chemists and soaked some old A1200 yellow keys in it for the past 2 days, but it made no difference, they're still as yellow as ever... :(

I didn't want to make up a messy paste like it tells you on the RetroBrite site and thought it would work if I just soaked the keys in pure Hydrogen Peroxide with a little Oxy Cleaner thrown in but after 2 days, nowt... :(

I also didn't use a UV light, just sat them outside in the single ray of sunshine we get here... :(

Has anyone had any success with it and if so could you please share your "recipe" for the best results... :)

PS:found a place where I can buy Hydogen Peroxide at 17.5% or 30% vol, just wondering if it's worth having another go with a stronger mixture... :)

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51985&highlight=retrobrite

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:30:55 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;617360
Hey Franko, if you're not in a hurry, send the parts over here! I'm sure that in 4 more months there will be enough sun light to get the job done. (Provided I don't over sleep, blink or forget to schedule that day on my calendar.):cool:

<------ P.S. Just noticed that this is my post number 444, that's kind of significant like 666 only 222 less!

Think it's the sun that caused the yellowing in the first place, all my own miggies are still white but all the stuff I bought of eBay are yellowed to one degree or another... :(

They must get sunlight down south in England... :)

(PS: if I did sent them maybe I could hide in the package and get a free holiday to the states, do you have Fish & Chip shops there... :))

(PPS: You've been here since 2004 and only posted 444 times, what ya doin, I post that many times in a month... ;))

Offline AmigaEd

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:22 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617370

They must get sunlight down south in England... :)

I'm guessing that's not all that they get considering things tend to roll down hill. :)

(PS: if I did sent them maybe I could hide in the package and get a free holiday to the states, do you have Fish & Chip shops there... :))

We have fish, but you have to bait your own hook! Chip shops went the way of the dinosaur, but there is always Digikey or Sparkfun.

(PPS: You've been here since 2004 and only posted 444 times, what ya doin, I post that many times in a month... ;))
[/QUOTE]

Well, when it comes to catching up with you, I've got two things working against me...

1. Most of my posts, I drafted up way back in 1987 but didn't have an internet to post them on. So I quit writing any more posts in 1994.

2. I read too many of your posts. ;)  (Perhaps, a new support group is needed.)
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;617374
I'm guessing that's not all that they get considering things tend to roll down hill. :)

Yup that's where all our oil went, ruddy tea leafs the lot of em... :(

Now we just flush our lavies and let that roll downhill instead... :D

We have fish, but you have to bait your own hook! Chip shops went the way of the dinosaur, but there is always Digikey or Sparkfun.

Tried fishing once with me squirrels, but the poor buggers nearly drownded... :(
Still, once I tossed them on the camp fire they soon dried out... :)

Do Digikey or Sparkfun do salt'n'vinegar on there chips, cant have chips without loads of salt and vinegar... :)

Well, when it comes to catching up with you, I've got two things working against me...

1. Most of my posts, I drafted up way back in 1987 but didn't have an internet to post them on. So I quit writing any more posts in 1994.

2. I read too many of your posts. ;)  (Perhaps, a new support group is needed.)

1. What did you write them on in 87, was it a stone tablet... :)

2. So you're the one who reads all this rubbish... ;)

Offline AmigaEd

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »
Quote from: Franko;617375

Tried fishing once with me squirrels, but the poor buggers nearly drownded... :(
Perhaps some hip waders or a boat would have helped.

Still, once I tossed them on the camp fire they soon dried out... :)
I find that putting them in a nice pie helps them to avoid getting a chill.

Do Digikey or Sparkfun do salt'n'vinegar on there chips, cant have chips without loads of salt and vinegar... :)
Hmmm... I think they do and even provide an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) with each shipment. I'm fairly sure salt and vinegar would be considered a corrosive substance.

1. What did you write them on in 87, was it a stone tablet... :)
Yes, but it was the most advanced stone tablet of it's time. (A1K)

2. So you're the one who reads all this rubbish... ;)
I'm guessing I'm not the only one, but at least there is somewhere that I can turn to for help.:nervous:

La Familia...
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:27 AM »
Got the Hydrogen Peroxide in cream form (hair bleach) and a low energy 11W "BlackLight" tube for my desk lamp... :)

Tested some old very yellowed Amiga keys yesterday, just brushed them with a mixture of the cream & some OXI laundry cleaner. Sat them for 10 hours with no UV light. Result... Nothing... not even a slight change whatsoever... :)

So tonight Im testing the same mixture but this time with the UV/BlackLight... :)

The pics below show an old and very, very yellowed VIC 20 case I got from eBay last week and some key caps from and old A1200 I also got from eBay, which once again was very yellowed. The A1200 trapdoor panel in the picture is from one on my own A1200s and is just to show how the colour of the plastic should be... :)

Start of Test... Normal Light

Start of Test... With UV/BlackLight on...

Gonna give it another 8 to 10 hours and see if I get any results this time...:nervous:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 26, 2011, 05:59:02 AM »
franko

cool looking forward to results pics
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs