Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC still playing Amiga catchup  (Read 67269 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
PC still playing Amiga catchup
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
Hi, you may or may not know about DisplayPort, it is designed to replace the DVI and the analogue VGA display interface. Here is a link to an article explaining it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/10/22/displayport_a_look_inside/5

The best part is, it allows you to do picture-in-picture and split screen displays.
If Amiga was still running things we would have had that ability from the get go.

It makes you wonder what other things we missed out on in a PC (and console) dominated world...
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
Re: PC still playing Amiga catchup
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
Your title is a little misleading.  PCs have had split-screen, multi-monitor and PIP screen displays for years and at resolutions and color depths that put OCS/ECS Amigas to shame.  The days when Amigas made PCs look lame have long since passed.  And those who think that Amigas will somehow rise from the ashes to once again surpass the capabilities of PCs need to seek professional help/therapy.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;456741
And those who think that Amigas will somehow rise from the ashes to once again surpass the capabilities of PCs need to seek professional help/therapy.

Amen brother.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline K7HTH

• Show only replies by K7HTH
    • http://NewPeopleString.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:39:16 PM »
Of course technology has grown by leaps and bounds, far beyond the technology of the past 25 years. What I would admit is the amazement of the timeless viability Amiga still possesses today and its global following.
Own the Web... Go PeopleString! It\'s Huge!!

Offline Gibbersan

• Show only replies by Gibbersan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »
Yet there is still the sad fact that the latest PCs slow to a crawl when trying to multitask.
A4000D - A1200 - WinUAE

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
Quote from: Gibbersan;456747
Yet there is still the sad fact that the latest PCs slow to a crawl when trying to multitask.

You are joking, right? There are hundreds of processes on my PC currently as well as several large applications.

There's also a CUDA simulation running which is pushing hundreds of megabytes of data per second across the PCI express bus and several mysql client processes interrogating a mysql server on the machine resulting in heavy disk IO.

The machine is still as responsive as when none of this was happening.

Just threw EUAE on top of the pile and it's running orders of magnitude faster than my actual amiga ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:40:48 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Edpon

• Show only replies by Edpon
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 07:29:13 PM »
@Gibbersan

Sorry, I don't agree that the latest PCs slow to a crawl. I heavily multitask with mine and it still runs fast; but then again, I've built mine to be really fast.

The great thing about Amiga is that it worked so well, straight out of the box, with such small amount of resources. At the time of the 68K Amigas, they by far blew away any PCs in terms of overall functionability. Now, PCs are way ahead. I'd love to see Amiga make a strong comeback - Widely available software/hardware, comparible prices and most of all, fun to use computers again! Just my 2 cents.

Ed
Amiga 500
AmigaOne 500
CommodoreUSA Amiga Mini i3

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;456735
Hi, you may or may not know about DisplayPort, it is designed to replace the DVI and the analogue VGA display interface. Here is a link to an article explaining it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/10/22/displayport_a_look_inside/5

The best part is, it allows you to do picture-in-picture and split screen displays.
If Amiga was still running things we would have had that ability from the get go.

It makes you wonder what other things we missed out on in a PC (and console) dominated world...

Yes, the computing world might be very different if the Amiga had dominated instead of MSDOS/Windows, but we will never know how it would have been different, and how much it would have been the same.

Speculating about what the differences might have been can be entertaining, but probably as useful as me wondering what my life would have been if dear old Dad was a Pirate instead of a Deputy Sheriff.  :roflmao:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;456758
Yes, the computing world might be very different if the Amiga had dominated instead of MSDOS/Windows, but we will never know how it would have been different, and how much it would have been the same.

If that'd be the case there'd be a site called IBM.org where nutcases complaining about nowadays rigid systems, hard to upgrade and if there'd be any competion on the hardware market, technology would've been much more advanced. Don Estridge will be honoured as a god.
Plus there'd be someone who states you should NOT use any other computer than a mil. spec. AT 5170.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;456768
If that'd be the case there'd be a site called IBM.org where nutcases complaining about nowadays rigid systems, hard to upgrade and if there'd be any competion on the hardware market, technology would've been much more advanced. Don Estridge will be honoured as a god.
Plus there'd be someone who states you should NOT use any other computer than a mil. spec. AT 5170.

Probably. I dare say it's all happening in a parallel existence right now.
int p; // A

Offline brianb

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;456735

What the heck are you talking about?!   The Amiga can stream 3 channels of 1080p data on one cable...  I did not know that...

Offline Gibbersan

• Show only replies by Gibbersan
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
@ Karlos

Just going from work experience.  Maybe "slow to a crawl" is a bad analogy.  If I'm scanning in anywhere from a few to several hundred pages, I can't do anything else on my system as its sending its data to the SQL server and processing the images.  You try and do anything, and the program crashes.  Probably just written poorly by the company who does our data system.  While it's working on processing, I just have to sit there and wait. It's really aggravating.
A4000D - A1200 - WinUAE

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Gibbersan;456774
@ Karlos

Just going from work experience.  Maybe "slow to a crawl" is a bad analogy.  If I'm scanning in anywhere from a few to several hundred pages, I can't do anything else on my system as its sending its data to the SQL server and processing the images.  You try and do anything, and the program crashes.  Probably just written poorly by the company who does our data system.  While it's working on processing, I just have to sit there and wait. It's really aggravating.

There could be any number of reasons for this. Bad application, dodgy drivers etc. However, if the machine is new, unless it's dirt cheap, it's unlikely to be down the the hardware.
int p; // A

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
Originally Posted by ferrellsl
And those who think that Amigas will somehow rise from the ashes to once again surpass the capabilities of PCs need to seek professional help/therapy.
Originally Posted by McVenco
Amen brother.

Well as they say, who knows entirely?

Say if you convinced like Sir Richard Branson that Amiga is cool, then you would't laugh that loud.  If you consider Amiga as a completely-dead-alas-i-liked-her-while-we-was-together, that's your feelings.  Let mine remain mine but please don't send people to an institution just for having uncommon views or ideas, call it.

Young brats laughed ad Steve and Bill, sure, and look what happened.  There's much things I can stand but I cannot overlook offencing people just because they believe in something, no matter how pointless this is...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:42:00 PM by DiskDoctor »
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
@DiskDoctor

Well said, could not have said it better myself.