Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game development project anyone?  (Read 7427 times)

Description:

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
Re: Game development project anyone?
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 19, 2003, 03:07:52 PM »
bloodline:lol :D
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2003, 03:10:13 PM »
Allright! Then it should be no problem at all  :-)  I am more and more convinced this game should be a commercial game, think about it, a game thats has playability, AND has nice graphics  :-)
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2003, 03:27:17 PM »
What about United Amigans or Amiga United?
I have a logo ready for both of them.
search the aminet for the mpeg Logo of these names, i made it when we were gonna make a team of amigans in Greece.
Never happend :(

Amiga United Logo

The logo is very simple, the new version will be fascinating. (if voted of course  :-P )
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2003, 03:51:11 PM »
@restore2003

Middle Earth: The Dark Ages...........hmmm, is that used before?

Don't use Middle-Earth, or anything that might be connected to it. All of that stuff is tied in enough trademarks and copyrights to make your nose bleed. Don't even think about it if you're planning something commercial.

(Besides, anyone doing anything about Middle-Earth should stick to acknowledged creatures IMHO. Finding liches, zombies and skeletons wandering around really spoils the effect.)

Otherwise, good luck to you and the rest. I can't help myself, not least because my time is mostly dedicated to my own game project these days, but I've always said that new quality games for the Amiga are possible without needing to spend millions in development or porting old PC games.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2003, 04:23:19 PM »
@Restore

Have you had any interest from anyone wishing to develop a storyline.

Sounds, to me, that you need a complete world developing and playing the game involves living part of the world and fighting to rule your small part.

What do you think?

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2003, 04:40:07 PM »
If your interested in writing a storyline, nothing would be better  :-)

Remember, the concept is to build yourself up from scratch, u start with one or more towns, get resources and gold by exploring the map to buildup your town(s) , in the town u can purchase armour, weapons, and creatures, and hire new heroes, and learning spells

For resources: across the map, there are sawmills, stone mines, gold mines, crystal mines, etc, which gives a small amount of resources per week, or u can find resources scattered all over the map
Some of these things will be guarded by monsters

The same applies to the enemy, he also must build up from scratch of course.

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2003, 04:45:20 PM »
Take a look at these pictures to get an idea of how i want the game to work

http://www.mmportals.com/h4/h4screens2.html

Offline amigarules2k

• Show only replies by amigarules2k
    • http://www.a1k.org
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »
I would also be interested writing a story line, so if there is any help neede, just ask me, i can also translate if that might be needed one of the days.
Other than that i am also interestd in these kinds of games, but unfortunately most of them are running on windoze, therefore it would be great to finally have one on the good old amiga...

Cheers
-----------------

Gravition is not responsible for people falling in love

Offline AmFreak

• Show only replies by AmFreak
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2003, 05:11:03 PM »
Once upon a time there was a Heroes Clone for Amiga in development (Mage Wars)
Look here  http://www.nutts.demon.co.uk/magewars.html
and here (Dark Millenia)

http://www.nutts.demon.co.uk/crystalup.html

Offline Magic-Merl

• Show only replies by Magic-Merl
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2003, 05:42:29 PM »
@AmFreak

Not very fair.

Yes there has been inspiration gathered from other sources but the project and the concept is quite original.
By the time this software is complete - there will be additional concepts added - visually, musically and from  the development process also.
The point is - there is alot of potential in this development because it's the people verses the market (or lack of).
By the time AOS4 is realeased and a game on this scale is under development/finished. It can only attract other future users and persuade users to migrate over to AOS, thus increasing the market, attracting other developers, attracting other users etc etc.

Offline AmFreak

• Show only replies by AmFreak
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2003, 06:34:48 PM »

Magic-Merl wrote:
@AmFreak

Not very fair.

It wasnt my intention to be unfair.
Maybe the team here can get ideas or inspiration from the other projects.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »
restore:get as many people as possible, i mean it wont be very fun for 1 gfx guy to do all..., get as many as possible and let them discuss some sort of an style/type , its not that hard to merge such but what is hard is to make people work alone.. just a tip :)

Yeah, that's alot of work for me to do. One thing you have to know about conceptual sketches is their just pictures for the modeler to go by.

Since you want to do it like HII, you're going to have to make sprites for each model; that's armor, weapons, people, etc. Each one will have to be modeled, animated and then converted to 2D. I'm not much of a modeler, I'm a graphic artist/web designer. I never had the patience to learn 3D.

First things, first. You need a Mission Statement, explaining a brief summary of the game's storyline, console commands, etc. This will be the starting point for everyone involved. Believe me, the last thing done in a game design is the music. As rich as it is for the environment, a game can exist without music.

Once the concept is on paper, you need a coder to build the engine. That is the most integral part of the game. Can't have a good game, without a killer engine. You  have to know that if you have dragons, will they be able to fly and things such as these. It's a lot of work to design a game.

You also need to flesh out a storyline too. It won't do much good if I envision Ogres having 4 arms, whereas you think they should have two.  The more I know about the world's background, the more I can design characters to fit the world.  

This game is VERY early in the design stages. It won't do much good to draw character designs, if we can't get a coder on board to design the engine. Think small, start slow and be patient. We can make this game a reality, but we're all working in our spare time, so it's going to take even longer.

Oh, and if this is just a simple clone of another game, it's not worth doing. It has to have something that stands out from all the other games. Bullettime was what made Max Payne stand out from the others. Duke Nukem had colors and graphics never seen during it's time. This project won't be out for a least a year and that's if we all invested our spare time into this, disregarding our significant others in the process.

In theory, it could be quite sound, but I like getting laid, so start small. Find the people to head the core of the project. Once the people are in place, the rest will eventually fall together.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2003, 07:51:52 PM »
Can't it be a A1200+cd/CD32 game?
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2003, 08:10:54 PM »
Okay, anyone interested in helping, contact:

YANAMCOHE@yahoo.com (in honor of Lempkee)  :-o

We're in need of coders, storywriters, 3D modelers, 2D artists, and even people offering only moral support. Coffee and donuts, optional.  ;-)

Oh, I did a basic map of a 'world'. I'll post a pic, as soon as I have access to a scanner. Mine's dead. :cry:

@ Speelgoedmannetje

As horrid as this sounds, by the time the game could possibly be completed, we're looking at an OS4.0 release. If I had my way, this would be the requirements of the game:

PPC
Voodoo 3, CG643D, or higher
64MB ram
200-300MB of Hard Drive space

There is a lot of graphical details that should be implemented. It's pointless to make a game that's behind the times a few years.

Besides, if we get this off the ground, maybe I could get my 3D Shooter, B.I.T.C.H. , designed. I have tons of conceputal drawings for that, but I haven't found a coder that could design the engine the way I wanted it to function.

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2003, 08:19:13 PM »

@ Speelgoedmannetje

As horrid as this sounds, by the time the game could possibly be completed, we're looking at an OS4.0 release. If I had my way, this would be the requirements of the game:

PPC
Voodoo 3, CG643D, or higher
64MB ram
200-300MB of Hard Drive space

There is a lot of graphical details that should be implemented. It's pointless to make a game that's behind the times a few years.

Well, how many people got these specs (commercially thinking)?
And how many Amigans bother graphics today?
I mean, a voodoo is way old compared to todays PC standards.
And if you make the gameplay lightyears beyond todays standards?
I'd almost say you should write it for a plain Amiga 500...
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2003, 08:38:03 PM »
I'd almost say you should write it for a plain Amiga 500...

There's no money in a game designed for an A500 anymore.

Simply put, as much as you love you amiga, for christ sakes, UPGRADE!!! Sure there's not alot of support for amigas, but jeez, sell your old 1200 and invest in an A1 board. Motorola's 6X000 series is archaic by todays standards. Sure, you can use it, but do you people REALLY think a 68060 can handle running something like Unreal Tournament 2003 and that's a game I see Miggy Users whining for EVERYWHERE.

Also note that I said *I* wanted those specs. We don't even have an engine. For all I know, the game could run on an '040.

As for your comment about a Voodoo being old, blame Commodore and Amiga Inc for that one. You should be grateful that some engineers made a PCI bus that allowed your amiga to even use a, as you put it, 'a card (voodoo) that is way old compared to todays PC standards' in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the YOUNGEST amiga is a decade old, but you call a Gfx card, one that's only 4 or so years old and was the FIRST 2D/3D card in one chip, old.

We'll be getting new hardware once OS4 is out and believe me a Voodoo 3 is a powerhouse, compared to that crap Picasso IV or CV64 you may have.  If you don't have the hardware to run the games, don't complain. While I like the HUNDREDS of old games I played on my A500, EVERY amiga user wants the eyecandy they see on PC boxes, including me.

I don't play alot of games anymore, 'cos they're all clones of something before, or they expect me to shell out 400$ for a Gfx card, just to play one game.. Amiga upgrades aren't more expensive that their PC counterparts, they just did it sooner. I'm not about to spend around $3000 bucks to build a machine that will play Doom 3. That's absurd...

If you had played Heroes before, you'd know that there's ALOT of graphic heavy moments in the game. If you can get a version of something similar to run on an A500, I'll buy you a cookie.