Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 49878 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« Reply #209 from previous page: July 27, 2013, 02:37:17 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;742570
Actually its more like "bashing Bill and Ben". I still like Trevor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF9JSxkUSE ;)

Trevor seems to me to be a thoroughly nice and genuinely honest man.  I think it's just a shame for him (and us users) that he threw his hat into the ring with those two shysters.

edit:

ps Check your email please Jim. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742573
;)
Trevor seems to me to be a thoroughly nice and genuinely honest man.  I think it's just a shame for him (and us users) that he threw his hat into the ring with those two shysters.
edit:
ps Check your email please Jim. :)

Well, A-EON so far:
a) Made Nemo board for 700 pounds for beta testers
b) Made as many batches of X1000 as people demand
c) Software product: RadeonHD 3D drivers (unfinished but in development)
d) Software product: Catweasel mk2 drivers (provided with hardware)
e) Software product: Linux kernels for all major Linuxes (included with Linuxes)
f) Software product: Open Office port  (unfinished but in development)
e) Develops new Cyrus board (in development)

Leave alone Hyperion, that is most some Amiga related company did in relatively short spam of time in Amiga land.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:32 AM »
I've met Trevor at AmiWest.  He is an Amigaholic and an honest hard-working one at that!

But as for AROS or MorphOS or even AmigaOS to win, I think will be a hollow victory even if it happens.  I suspect with the ability to build custom cores for the FPGAArcade, parallel performance of the FPGA itself will eventually kill off the Von Naumann architectures altogether.  This includes ARM, AMD64, x86, PPC, and every other microprocessor known, even 68k.  For more information on high-level synthesis of FPGA cores, see these TCE screenshots and the associated Linux downloads.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:28 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;742721
I've met Trevor at AmiWest.  He is an Amigaholic and an honest hard-working one at that!

But as for AROS or MorphOS or even AmigaOS to win, I think will be a hollow victory even if it happens.  I suspect with the ability to build custom cores for the FPGAArcade, parallel performance of the FPGA itself will eventually kill off the Von Naumann architectures altogether.  This includes ARM, AMD64, x86, PPC, and every other microprocessor known, even 68k.  For more information on high-level synthesis of FPGA cores, see these TCE screenshots and the associated Linux downloads.

Sounds really cool, thanx for the info and screen shots.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2013, 05:37:12 AM »
The X1000 is what happens when you put passion over common sense (or a feasibility study).

Correct me if I am wrong but would've it been more economically viable if Amiga 4.x was ported over to ARM or x86 architecture. Mac moved away from PowerPC for a reason and future Amiga 4.x development should have followed Apple's lead.

If this route was taken it would have been easier (and cheaper) to purchase generic ARM/x86 motherboards and modify the BIOS with exclusive OS 4.x code to restrict the use of Amiga 4.x on other systems - again similar to Apple.

IMHO A-Eon needs to produce a X1000CR (ie. X500) before the X2000. Otherwise the next major headline will read A-Eon bankrupt - buyers owed thousands.
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2013, 06:36:45 AM »
To be fair, three years ago the ARM computers available were a 600mhz netbook costing $350.
It does make a lot of sense today now that you can get a 1GHz ARM computer for $100.

It would take about 3-5 years to port it. Unless you have a full time team doing it. If they start now Amiga OS would only be a few years behind other OS'es.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742723
Sounds really cool, thanx for the info and screen shots.

That would not just break Amiga and 68k compatibility that would
break ANY compatibility to anything :huh:

But it does sound very very cool :-)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;742729
It would take about 3-5 years to port it. Unless you have a full time team doing it. If they start now Amiga OS would only be a few years behind other OS'es.

But who's going to pay for it? 3 to 5 years without anything to sell? That's called suicide....
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline SysAdmin

« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;742740
But who's going to pay for it? 3 to 5 years without anything to sell? That's called suicide....

SMAP? (Super Most Ambitious Project)

XMAP? (Xtreme Most Ambitious Project)

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;742740

Ummm, do both?
That's kind of what I said by pointing out the ARM offerings 3 years ago were unimpressive.
As you know the latest ARM based phones have power that would surpass a lot of desktops.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
investing 200k like trevor confirms (and i think with production, supply and service it well be more) one could likely have designed fpga, hybrid/fpga (as jens suggested) or even an asic 68k system that could otherwise match few hundred mhz machines and be cheap enough to popularize whats left of amiga among retro-fans and geeks. if aeon systems arent having another target audience that may keep them afloat, i dont see gains in such a system in perspective. promarly it was waste of time to relay on os4 development, rather than that supporting big picture, tht means lowest possible common denominator as 68k  and such may have effectively attarct more skilled people across the whole community, as can be exemplary seen in mos, os4 and aros community where people are still interested in, say, fpgaarcade.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Trevor does not think that way. He is a "Amiga nerd" but expecially a "AmigaOS" fan. So he wants to develop new expensive "toys" and bring it (hardware-wise) to the maximum. You (and I) can agree on it or not but that will not change anything. We will certainly not persuade him to invest in other projects, best we can do to help things to improve in a way that we can persuade users and developers to support our favorite. And that is what I concentrate on. Trevor can do what he wants.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;742721

Well all of FPGA projects up to now they have mostly been failures.

BoXoR  project is dead.

Because it was over-ambitious, and a moving target, which became more and more unrealistic.

NatAMI Project is most likely dead.

Because it was over-ambitious, and a moving target, which became more and more unrealistic.

FPGAArchade is too slow, not expandable, there is CPU card coming but it's not going be faster than a Pentium II 100Mhz or something like that.
  It too slow for modern standards.

Minimig was a nice realistic project it really did show that FPGA head some advantages and that it might be possible to use this technology to improve compatibility, but as modern computer it's too slow and it lacks all sort of upgradability, you can't rally attach anything to it.

Tina project will most likely end up as NatAMI.

I have not seen anything but toys so far, but I do keep an eye on it due to curiosity.

I believe a hybrid might be interesting a computer where you have FPGA as glue logic, where you have modern CPU sitting on top of it, in some form or way.

I have not yet seen any 2 Ghz dual core FPGA Amiga coming from anyone, I like to see someone take the risk, Taver did whit AmigaONE-X1000 project, and is where good computer (but a expensive one I agree.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:14:23 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline amigakit

« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
@warzon

I take your point. A-EON's emphasis has changed towards some areas and now is starting to bridge the gap between 68k Classic and next generation AmigaOS systems.  You will see this is forthcoming software and hardware (watch this space).  We have already started with sponsoring Catweasel drivers for the X1000.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline SysAdmin

« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;742789
@warzon

I take your point. A-EON's emphasis has changed towards some areas and now is starting to bridge the gap between 68k Classic and next generation AmigaOS systems.  You will see this is forthcoming software and hardware (watch this space).  We have already started with sponsoring Catweasel drivers for the X1000.

Thats great news!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
@ LiveForIt

Programmable chips have been used as glue logic for some time.
One of Freescale's development boards (HPCN-MPC8641D) uses a Actel Pixis FPGA.

And with apologies to Sam, FPGAs to replace all CPUs?
That is a ridiculous proposition.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"