Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More bad news surfaces  (Read 5719 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:15:56 AM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: More bad news surfaces
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
My brother told me his wife just brought a Surface RT, my first thought was 'why'

Q) What do you call a tablet with a keyboard attachment?
A) A laptop

:)

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for MS at this point, poor things.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »
Hee :D

Of course, the question still remains: exactly how many embarassing public failures will it take before Microsoft finally get it through their heads that they can't engineer their customers to fit the product they want to make?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
The firm is seeking a lead plaintiff for the case.

That's all you really need to read. Just some lawyer douches trying to make some money. Probably have their friends and family shorting MSFT for a quick buck from all the bad publicity.

Offline koaftder

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;744672
Hee :D

Of course, the question still remains: exactly how many embarassing public failures will it take before Microsoft finally get it through their heads that they can't engineer their customers to fit the product they want to make?

Thing is, that's exactly what Apple does and they've been very successful. If you asked customers if they'd like gimped, locked down phones and tablets they'd say no, yet they sell. Same situation for the iMacs which have a severe lack of ports are practically impossible to upgrade and made with yesterdays specs, yet they roll off the assembly line and sell for a premium. You can bet their new trash can computer will be successful despite the retarded form factor and lack of upgrade options, high price tag, etc.

Apple turned their desktop environment into a Fischer Price experience and even screwed with the scroll wheel default direction, things that nobody wanted and were successful with it.

Microsoft's biggest mistake may be the opposite of what you've suggested. They tried too hard to deliver all the things people said they wanted.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
The thing is that Microsoft is not Apple, and Windows's userbase is not iOS's userbase. Any halfwit could tell you this (and plenty did tell them exactly that,) but Microsoft has got it into their heads that they can just forcibly transmogrify their customer base into entirely different people with different requirements out of a computer by sheer force of will. They keep getting hammered with evidence that this is not the case (see also: the XBone fiasco,) but they've yet to actually take any of that to heart...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;744705
but Microsoft has got it into their heads that they can just forcibly transmogrify their customer base into entirely different people with different requirements out of a computer by sheer force of will.

+1.  And bonus points for use of the word "transmogrify" in a sentence.  You win all the Internets for today.  :D
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
What do you mean? I listen to my poop brown Zune all the time whilst talking to my friends on my Kin whilst binging some stuff on my Surface RT.

-edit-
I had the pleasure of setting up a VPN connection over Teamviewer for a customer today. Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't find anything on the damned thing: it was a Surface Pro.

It'll also be interesting to see what the ~40% price increase from Server 2012 to 2012 R2 does. The cheap-ish virtualization of 2012
seemed to be a very good selling point, but are they really 'doing a VMware' now?

@thread title: you had to, didn't you :D.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:46:51 PM by odin »

Offline koaftder

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;744705
The thing is that Microsoft is not Apple, and Windows's userbase is not iOS's userbase. Any halfwit could tell you this (and plenty did tell them exactly that,) but Microsoft has got it into their heads that they can just forcibly transmogrify their customer base into entirely different people with different requirements out of a computer by sheer force of will. They keep getting hammered with evidence that this is not the case (see also: the XBone fiasco,) but they've yet to actually take any of that to heart...

has got it into their heads that they can just forcibly transmogrify their customer base

Yet that's exactly what Apple does every time they release a new product and they're successful. People snap up iPads left and right and drone on about how great they are while complaining about all the stuff they can't do with it. Meanwhile Microsoft releases products that solve all those issues and they scoff.

When the iMac was introduced way back when, nobody would have said they wanted an all-in-one computer that comes in a half dozen girly colors. When the mini came out what people really wanted was an affordable mac tower. Apple just released a minature trash can computer when customers have been saying for years that they wanted a balls to the wall beast mac with tons of room to cram hardware into and the latest spec CPU and graphics. For years people dreamed of an Apple tablet  on the fanboy forums. Everybody thought it would run OS X and be an open book.

Windows 8 and the Surface tablets was Microsoft's attempt to give the customer what he asked for by listening to the complaints people had about competing products. Surface Pro rectifies all the complaints people had about other tablets. It's actually a pretty nice product, problem is people say they want one thing but turn around and grab something else. RT is kind of lame, but hey, people said they wanted ARM.

Windows's userbase is not iOS's userbase.

They actually are, considering that most iPhone and iPad users are syncing their devices up to Windows computers. This really highlights one important thing about users these days, they have no brand loyalty, especially when it comes to mobile devices. That and mobile operating systems aren't important to average users. Dollar apps are a disposable commodity so folks don't feel like they have an "investment" to protect and the internet of things have brought the price of content down to near zero.

Microsoft's biggest mistake was in trying to give people what they thought they wanted. The latest XBox is a testament to that mentality. How many times have you hear folks bitching about all the crap shoved under their TV and the pile of remotes they have to juggle? So they've created the ultimate in your face, one super ultra mega box to rule them all and dominate your living room with an iron fist. Cameras and mics to monitor your ass 24/7 and apps to manage your fantasy football teams...

Offline motrucker

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
Don't just laugh at M$, look at the junk HP is trying to foist on us with their "all in one" garbage. What a bunch of crap!
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;744717
Yet that's exactly what Apple does every time they release a new product and they're successful. People snap up iPads left and right and drone on about how great they are while complaining about all the stuff they can't do with it. Meanwhile Microsoft releases products that solve all those issues and they scoff.
Again, Apple manages to make it work because they're Apple, and  Apple has spent decades crafting a user culture that wants to be  coddled and told what they want and given shiny new crib toys to play  with. Microsoft hasn't, they don't have that user culture, and  they haven't even spent any time trying to craft one; they've just released products nobody wants and then demanded that customers adapt their expectations to fit what's being sold instead of trying to adapt what they sell to fit what customers want. And they're getting rightfully excoriated for it.

They actually are, considering that most iPhone and iPad users are  syncing their devices up to Windows computers.
The thing is that nobody buys Windows because they want an iPad. If they did they would buy an iPad. And yes, many of them do buy iPads - which means they already have iPads, and absolutely nobody was giving any indication that they wanted their PC to also be an iPad, or that they wanted an iPad that was made by Microsoft instead of Apple. Which is why next to nobody has reacted to this by saying "you got your iPad in my PC! TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!!!" Sometimes I eat tuna fish. Sometimes I eat chocolate. This does not mean that I'm looking for a happy medium between the two.

Windows 8 and the Surface tablets was Microsoft's attempt to give the customer what he asked for by listening to the complaints people had about competing products. Surface Pro rectifies all the complaints people had about other tablets. It's actually a pretty nice product, problem is people say they want one thing but turn around and grab something else. RT is kind of lame, but hey, people said they wanted ARM.

Microsoft's biggest mistake was in trying to give people what they thought they wanted. The latest XBox is a testament to that mentality. How many times have you hear folks bitching about all the crap shoved under their TV and the pile of remotes they have to juggle? So they've created the ultimate in your face, one super ultra mega box to rule them all and dominate your living room with an iron fist. Cameras and mics to monitor your ass 24/7 and apps to manage your fantasy football teams...
This is complete nonsense. Nobody wanted desktop Windows to be a tablet OS. Very few people even wanted a Microsoft-branded tablet. Windows 8 is entirely Microsoft's baby; it's their attempt to do a cargo-cult copy of the iPad, because they saw how much money Apple was raking in with those suckers. This is obvious when you look at the Windows Store - they want developers to just give them a cut of their sales for no other reason than because developers have settled for letting Apple do that to them. This is not about what Windows users want; it's about what Microsoft wants.

And that's even more true for the XBone. Every single thing about that was a middle finger to gamers and a self-service to Microsoft - requiring the Kinect, which nobody wanted, so that it would look like less of a failure (and net another $100 per unit,) locking down the used-games market so that Microsoft and their publisher friends could help themselves to the majority of used-game revenue at the cost of screwing over gamers and retailers alike, requiring always-online because...who the hell even knows, presumably they think it's some way to combat piracy? That was entirely about exploiting customers to serve their own interests. Sony basically had E3 handed to them on a silver platter because the only thing they had to do was make an announcement saying "hey, guys, we're not planning on actively screwing you over" and they automatically looked like the good guys.

Microsoft is continually banging their head against the wall with this attitude, expecting their customer base to adapt itself to what it is that Microsoft wants to be doing, rather than offering customers what they want and winning hearts and dollars thereby. It's not a mutually-beneficial customer/business relationship - it's a predatory one, and surprisingly enough it turns out that people don't like being preyed upon.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
What they need to do is develop an Android port.  The Surface would be a killer Android tablet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
Fail on prices. They keep dropping prices. It almost like the game show Shop Till you drop.  Of course in the opposite direction.  Starting with high prices than going to lower prices.  I will wait and see what happens with lawsuit. I do believe that Microsoft had it coming.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;744720
Don't just laugh at M$, look at the junk HP is trying to foist on us with their "all in one" garbage. What a bunch of crap!

I have to agree, I see no point at all to buy an "all in one pc" but that's just me, I don't like to buy new hardware with limited expandability, commonly subjects to heat problems and no work space inside the case, and to not forget your stuck with the display you got whether you like it or not :(