Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The need for "Modern PCs"  (Read 5847 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
The need for "Modern PCs"
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:45:23 AM »
In your daily life, what things do you do, that you could do with the aid of a so called "modern PC", that you do with something else?

A legacy system, NG system, your cell phone etc.

I'm curious.

Because there seems to be some kind hubris being lloated around by others that they have a set of specifications for what your devices must have, be or do to have utility in your real life.

This is important to me, because since the '70s I've been devoted to the idea of personal computing, but just like musical styles have broadened and mixed so too have the ways or electronic devices can enrich our live.

So personal computers seem less...relevant (arrgghh!).

Heck, I know people that live without computers. And with a smartphone, that's a real option.

Give me some thoughtful feedback, not the flames I've been getting lately.

Jim
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline NovaCoder

Re: The need for "Modern PCs"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
Desktop computer's (along with their operating systems) are fast becoming obsolete.

The only major things we still do on my PC are ripping movies and coding, we mostly use our smart phones and tablets to access the Net and play games in our house.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:57:12 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:10 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;715798
In your daily life, what things do you do, that you could do with the aid of a so called "modern PC", that you do with something else?

Almost nothing at all. I use my PC for everything, except for Amiga things, I do those on my A1200. My A1200 is of course a desktop machine as well.

I do have an MP3 player and a Nintendo DS, though, but the MP3 player was bought for a Japanese course, and the NDS is for games that aren't available on the PC (Advance Wars series) and for mobile gaming. Otherwise I do everything on my PC/A1200.

your cell phone etc.

My cell phone isn't a smart phone, but a 15 Euro phone. Can make calls, do SMS and has Sudoku on it :D

Because there seems to be some kind hubris being lloated around by others that they have a set of specifications for what your devices must have, be or do to have utility in your real life.

Your devices must be able to do what you want. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not to me. No desktop? No keyboard? No mouse? No room for adding what I want and how much I want? No multiple monitors? NO FECKIN'N WAY IN BLOODY HELL!!!

Heck, I know people that live without computers. And with a smartphone, that's a real option.

They're not Computer Nerds like me :D

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:52:06 AM »
Basically everything I do except VST-based music production could be done on my 1GHz TiBook without any real trouble; the only real reason it's not is because I prefer Windows XP to Mac OS X. YouTube is balky on anything above 240p, but eh, it's not that essential. Haven't made any real attempts at MorphOS yet, but who knows, that might fit the bill.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:53:14 AM »

A legacy system, NG system, your cell phone etc.

I'm curious.

This is important to me, because since the '70s I've been devoted to the idea of personal computing, but just like musical styles have broadened and mixed so too have the ways or electronic devices can enrich our live.

Give me some thoughtful feedback, not the flames I've been getting lately.

Jim

Well, lately my smartphone has become the repository for checking email, writing some google docs, lots of web surfing, calendar management, music playing, hulu/netflix/youtube watching, some casual gaming.

My modern PC I use mainly for coding, and any projects/websurfing/emailing that is better facilitated with a keyboard.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 05:43:35 AM »
Most of the time, I'm trying to work on video projects, which definitely can't be done retro, at least not easily. I suppose I could go old school with a toaster system but I tried a friends and found it crazy compared to modern editing in digital... Used to have alot of old analog gear, I sold it all. Now just a tiny great quality digital video camera, a pc, and me are making cool stuff...

Unfortunately I can't afford a mac and final cut so I'm using windows so I need alot of horsepower due to the very ****ty windows video editors, not complaining, things work, just some stutter occasionally while trying to edit, even on a quad core....

For everything other than video editing, I use a dual core linux pc for general stuff like writing text docs, email, youtube, irc, facebook, I have to say I highly enjoy my time on this computer, got compiz, dosbox, amiga via EUAE, most linux games, many windows games that behave in wine, alot of sound/music stuff I still tinker with. Almost all software I have used or liked since I started with computers is on this. I also dual boot aros on it but still prefer the linux side for most of my geeky adventures... This machine also boots windows xp if I need it, which I rarely do...

Thats my "modern" setup. My retro setup, which used to consist of a c64, an amiga 1200 and a color computer 3 is now gone, in favor of virtual workalikes on the linux box. More comfortable room now. But I miss the old girls...

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:47:20 AM »
The modern PC, i use for everything. With quality and  fast.  Except Amiga things, i use my real Amiga Classic as second main computer (i can do many things, except, watch online Videos), i dont like emulate Amiga in any PC,  even i have emulators.
One of the things i like use any PC is for emulate other vintage machines, current emulators have a good level of accuracy.

The smartphone i use for everythings too, including emulation!. You know, this gadgets its a real mini  real/complete Computer in your pocket. That one of the best invention ever!.

I dont think, the Desktops PCs, will disappear, becouse because they are necessary for various applications including industrial uses. I dont know, but i think  will for a while more.
The thing is if the Laptops Computers will disappear. I think that these machines may disappear  short-term as Desktop computers.
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:43 AM »
I really like the idea of a nicely decked out 1200 next to your main pc but its rough to make happen. Had it for awhile but the 1200 was so hit or miss. Problems...accelerator half life. ram problems. Scan doubling troubles...

Emulation just easier...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;715821
Basically everything I do except VST-based music production could be done on my 1GHz TiBook without any real trouble; the only real reason it's not is because I prefer Windows XP to Mac OS X. YouTube is balky on anything above 240p, but eh, it's not that essential. Haven't made any real attempts at MorphOS yet, but who knows, that might fit the bill.
I prefer Mac OSX; it has no stupid task bar, it has a menu bar at the top of the screen where I expect it and the close gadget is in the correct corner of the windows... Also my disks/USB drives appear on the desktop when I plug them in and finally, windows don't autorise to the top when I just want to drag them around...

Put simply, it has the Amiga like behaviours I like ;) x

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »
Good Stuff!
A spread spectrum of opinions and personal choices.
Kind of what could be expected.

Myself?
When I stopped using software the required real horsepower (for video editing), I simplified and got rid of most of the modern stuff.
I kept a netbook and a laptop for convenient Windows use (and because its an easier platform to rip movies in).
I use my MorphOS stuff (primarily my Powerbook now) for web browsing and e-mail. .
And I'm beginning to find a smartphone an essential part of my gear.
Tried tablets and other larger carry abouts, but they weren't convenient.

So PC are not obsolete, but we're all using other stuff as well?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:40:31 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
I actually like the taskbar. It's logical and convenient. Osx dockbar to me is irrelevant.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;715844
I prefer Mac OSX; it has no stupid task bar, it has a menu bar at the top of the screen where I expect it and the close gadget is in the correct corner of the windows... Also my disks/USB drives appear on the desktop when I plug them in and finally, windows don't autorise to the top when I just want to drag them around...

Put simply, it has the Amiga like behaviours I like ;) x

I personally hate all the things you mentioned. I also hate the way all Mac windows look the same and the fact they dont 'stick' to the edges means your screen looks like a mess most of the time. same goes for the desktop. I work for a big publishing company so I know what Im talking about. Im really glad they gave me a pc.

Dont get me wrong there is lots of stuff I dont like about Windows, but at least you can get it to look real tidy and its very stable, too. Much more stable than a Mac or Amiga, tbh.

Personally I also cant understand why people think desktop computers are going to disappear. Sure, for some 'light' users I understand the move to a tablet or notebook. But people that need to do productivity stuff, the occasional game or in general do more than just a Facebook update now and then are much better off with a proper keyboard, mouse, and big / dual screen.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
I personally hate all the things you mentioned.

Really? I was just listing the Amiga like behaviour that one finds in MacOS X and not in Windows... Was AmigaOS really such a pain for you? :(

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
To be honest, back in the days it was an amazing OS. But times have changed and it is no longer as flawless or modern. Ofcourse you are entitled to prefer MacOS over Windows. As much as I am entitled to disagree :) Sure enough, some things in MacOS sure do resemble AmigaOS, (the same can be said for Windows and every other operating system) but that doesnt make it the better OS.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
I find so little difference between the two that the argument seems pointless.