Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: apple great desing  (Read 10718 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: apple great desing
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Quote from: persia;708469
My iPhone has likely begun it's journey out of China sunday.  This is exciting!

How fun!  A lump of inert plastic made by wage slaves (literally, slaves) gets to leave an oppressive totalitarian dictatorship and come to a free society so you can be Mayor of Starbucks on Foursquare, and post Twitter updates from The Gap, meanwhile the people who made it at gunpoint get to make another 99,999 this month in a factory with bars over the windows and suicide prevention nets over the factory floor.

Go you!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
Like I said before: Apple sucks, and I hope they rot in hell.

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;708442
The thing i don't understand is how Apple can put a patent on something that is a natural assumption. For example, red is accepted by everyone as meaning danger or at least something that should be taken more seriously, vice versa green is accepted as something positive by everyone. These are what i would call natural assumptions. I notice that traffic lights are the same colours all over the world. The same goes for features on the iphone, the green phone button and red hangup are both natural assumptions. How can you put a patent on that? It's like someone putting a patent on the order of the colours on traffic lights!

Also the same goes for the zooming by pinching. The pinching is something that anyone would automatically do to zoom in and out. It is a natural assumption. I don't get it.

Notjust that green means start and red means stop, on cell phones way back before smart phones, on my old Treo phone, the call button was either green, or had a green handset. It is an accepted control on phones to have the button to initiate calls be green. Just like it is accepted for the steering wheel on a car to be round, for the brake lights to be red, for the gas pedal to be on the right and brake on left.

For pinch to zoom, Samsung is moving away from that with the SIII anyway. Place two fingers on either side of the screen and tilt the phone forward and back to zoom. Much better than pinch, move fingers, then have to reposition fingers and repeat over and over. You have the entire zoom range available in one motion.

This all is likely to be reversed (at least in part) in appeal. I have a feeling the jury foreman had as much to do with the verdict than the trial itself. Statements by Steve Wozniak seem to indicate even he thinks much of this will be overturned. O course, Apple went and tried to toss in some current phones like the SIII that look nothing like the iPhones.

Samsung likely tried to make their early smartphones look similar to iPhones, sure. Before that similar to Blackberres. But then the Motorola Q looked very similar to a blackberry. Some layouts for things just make sense and if its what consumers want, and is familiar to them, then thats what you make.

This is all corp silliness, meanwhile Samsung makes chips and displays for Apple, and Apple continues to use Samsung as a supplier. Money, makes the world go round.

Apple seems inclined now to go into a 'maintenance mode' as a lot of corporations with a highly sucessfull product do. Protect your product, make little tweaks to it, try to keep customers hooked on it (or simply unable to go elsewhere). This is where Blackberry was. Where Palm was. Where Commodore was with the 64. Where Atari was with the 2600.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline paul1981

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;708497
next: Braun sues Apple?

Let's hope so.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
I'm really glad they took the idea from XEROX. XEROX would not do anything with that and evolution would be delayed. I'm not a fan of Apple, but they did the same with iPODs, touch-screen phones, digital music distribution and software distribution. I could even say that Jobs did all that, not Apple. Now Apple will live from Jobs legacy for a while just incrementally boosting specs of what they already did until they became too expensive and arrogant to compete with the others just like what happened back in the early 90s.
In my opinion Microsoft will prevail once again. Google needs a new "good" CEO and Facebook's fate is ORKUT...

:)
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:14 PM »
Good luck young lads, the fate of the economy of the Free World depends on you!

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/384985/20120917/apple-iphone-5-pre-orders-shipping-china.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;708493
Like I said before: Apple sucks, and I hope they rot in hell.

Yes... apple sucks but the bad part is all this people that buy these products just for "be cool", and none of them blame apple for copy or sell overpriced compuers, bad quality mp3 players or cellular phones as if they had invented the mobile phone.
a1200 060

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
Quote from: toRus;708337
I confess that I am less anti-Apple than I am anti-Microsoft, anti-Intel, anti-Samsung, anti-HTC, and a whole bunch of other lame companies.

I just like my 75EUR Samsung Pocket smart phone (non-subsidized!); good replacement for my not-so-smart phone. It can text and call people so it is OK; it even can do GPS which is a plus and in the next year I can even try to get AROS running on this thing.
Up to now Apple hasn't produced a phone that is in my range of money I want to spend on such a commodity.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Quote from: toRus;708337
Lesser companies would either use their monopolistic power to enforce crap products to customers (like M$ has mostly done)

Oh, so you mean I didn't HAVE TO install iTunes on my PC to be able to register an account to purchase software for my phone or transfer music to it?

I guess I come across as very anti-Apple in this thread, but I use OSX for development at work daily and I love it. It just strikes me as more Apple-like than Microsoft-like to try to herd its users into using the same software and centralized distribution systems.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
Quote from: AmigaMac;708344
I'm anti-Samsung myself and have already told the wife that we need to rid ourselves of our old Samsung microwave

That's just pathetic brand tribalism and irresponsible consumerism to boot. Why don't you put your keyboard in that microwave oven and set it to 10 minutes?

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Quote from: Linde;708513
That's just pathetic brand tribalism and irresponsible consumerism to boot. Why don't you put your keyboard in that microwave oven and set it to 10 minutes?

C'mon guys, can't we discuss with ARGUMENTS! Instead of pure stupid passion?
A guy was saying that a non-smartphone is enough... Right, just like an old guy from the 80s saying that Amiga was bull**** and a typing machine was enough.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;708483
Steve Jobs was an awful, awful person and there's no way I'd willingly and directly line his coffers further.

I don't think you are doing the man justice. Steve Jobs was no villain. While he certainly wasn't particularly nice to many people, Wozniak wasn't one of them. Jobs was a positive force in many situations, because he didn't accept any authority. So neither IBM nor the MPAA could scare him. The iTunes motto "Rip, Mix, Burn" would never have happened under a more cautious person. Steve wanted the computers to be perfect. If he bought a computer, he didn't want them to be expandable, because he didn't want to buy accessories or expansions. Everything had to be inside the box from day one. He just couldn't think of anyone to really want something else.

Steve was often misunderstood and misquoted, but he also trusted in the opinions of some people, whom we wouldn't and had a way of not thinking about the things that many of us find hard to accept. But I have to give the man credit: he pushed technology forward into the spotlight, that might have been ignored for the wrong reasons.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
The market made justice to Jobs. He was an idiot, but that does not remove the fact that the guy was a game changer for technology.
Only a small group of individuals still don't see that. Why? Because they once we're right and now, they refuse to learn new stuff and keep fighting for unknown reason. That's quite common in ppl around 40's like us.
Reminds me this:
A group of scientists put five monkeys in a cage, and inside it, they placed a ladder with a bunch of bananas. When one of the monkeys climbed up the ladder to get a banana, they hosed the rest with ice-cold water.

After a while when a monkey climbed on the ladder, it got beaten up by the others.

Later on, none of the monkeys climbed up the ladder to get the bananas, then the scientists replaced one of the monkeys.

The first thing the new monkey did was to climb up the ladder; the rest beat it up right away. After a few beatings, the new monkey did not climb on the ladder at all.

The same thing happened with a second new monkey. The first substitute participated gladly in the beatings. A third monkey was changed with the same results. The fourth and the last one were finally substituted.

Then the scientists had five monkeys that never had been hosed with cold water, yet, they beat up any monkey that tried to reach the bananas.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;708534
I don't think you are doing the man justice. Steve Jobs was no villain.

Yes he ****ing well was.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 17, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;708521
A guy was saying that a non-smartphone is enough... Right, just like an old guy from the 80s saying that Amiga was bull**** and a typing machine was enough.

A non-smartphone is enough for me. I don't even take the phone I have anywhere (except to work, and only so I can call them if I get delayed on my way there), I only have it so I can make calls from home when I have to.

Old fashioned? No, I just don't care about having a mini tablet computer with phone functionality built in.