Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing  (Read 24070 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: MorphOS 3.0 released - PowerBook G4 support and new pricing
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »
Quote from: EvilGuy;695967
The news has even made Slashdot .. coverage is coverage I suppose and its reasonably accurate.

And the comments are the typical jaded Linux fanboi crap that we see so often at Slashdot. This was the only sensible rebuttal I could find.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;695982
And the comments are the typical jaded Linux fanboi crap that we see so often at Slashdot. This was the only sensible rebuttal I could find.

Even the article post itself is demeaning and condescending.  Typical /. bullshyt; it's not a news site these days, it's all opinion being pushed along with news topics to make it look like news.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:11 AM »
Ok, I tried a different brand of CD-Rs and I used MakeCD exactly the way Dragster said.

I also checked the MD5 checksum and it was correct.

I'm guessing the CD drive in my Powerbook5,8 does not read CDs correctly. It seems to play video DVDs just fine. Very strange.

I guess Powerbook5,8 does not support booting off of USB because I can't get boot off an external USB BR drive.

What do I need? A new drive? Can i boot off of Firewire?

Can I put the MorphOS ISO on a external Firewire HD somehow?

Thanks!

EDIT: I burned it to a DVD-R and it was able to read that... Installing now. I have a SSD drive. Probably already done.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:24:07 AM by bbond007 »

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;695987
Even the article post itself is demeaning and condescending.  

Yes, they could've tried to polish a turd I suppose.

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;695989

EDIT: I burned it to a DVD-R and it was able to read that... Installing now. I have a SSD drive. Probably already done.

Yeah, thats a very common problem. There are usually two lasers involved and one of them is dying first. Mostly its the one for reading CDs. Same happens to the Playstation2 drives.

Geit

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
I don't know, I think many of the slashdot comments make sense from a certain point of view. If I wasn't a die-hard Amiga fan I probably wouldn't touch any of the current-generation Amiga systems with a stick.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
Quote from: Linde;696027
I don't know, I think many of the slashdot comments make sense from a certain point of view. If I wasn't a die-hard Amiga fan I probably wouldn't touch any of the current-generation Amiga systems with a stick.

I agree. Not that i'm complaining but the fact you have to pay for it when compared to linux which is free. I think that in itself is going to turn people off : /

Anyway great job guys i will install next week when i get time :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline matt3k

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;695982

+1

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
Quote from: Linde;696027

I guess what aggravates me is the double-standard in the geek world.  16 Apple //e computers networked together is uber; running TCP/IP on a 1982 Timex is cool*; building a watch out of Nixie tubes is bonerific; but an operating system with modern capabilities for PowerPC is just a bunch of old farts trying to hold onto a dead dream and beat a dead horse.

Replace "PowerPC" with "Z80" or "6502" and replace "MorphOS" with "Linux" or "Android," and suddenly it would be the coolest damned thing ever.  Bonus points if it will run your Lego Mindstorms.  Mind you, the $138 price tag isn't going to make the freetards happy no matter what, so you've already lost that particular audience.

* No one has actually done this, but I thought an extreme example would serve as a purposeful hyperbole.

Offline tone007

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
G4s aren't old enough to be "cool" yet, running a different OS with capabilities similar to other OSes on them isn't particularly impressive.

"Oh look! I'm browsing the web on a Powerbook!" and "Oh look! I'm browsing the web on a C64!" are two very different things.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;695925
although this won't be of any interest to powerbook users, do you know if MOS 3.0 works with neil's prism2.device? i know there are versions for OS3, OS4, and AROS.  usually if something works with OS3, it also works with MOS, but i haven't seen it mentioned.

if i got a power macintosh which supported MOS 3.0, could i take the prism2 wireless PCI card from my SAM and use it there with MOS?

In theory you should be able to use the native MorphOS version of prism2.device 1.x (the WEP-only version), but there are sometimes hardware incompatibilities with certain cards on PPC machines.

MorphOS probably doesn't have a card.resource for the Powerbooks' PCMCIA/CardBus slot, but if it did you could perhaps use the 68k WPA prism2.device.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Live-CD runs perfectly on my PBook 15" 1.67 (not the high-res one). But when I try to install using manual partition, I'm able to resize OSX partition but I'm a little bit confused about what to do next.
1) I have created a small 1GB HFS Partition + a big 20gb SFS partition. I tried some other options as well, but MorphOS complains about "Not a valid DOS partition" or something.
Where can I find information about what do I need to manually do in order to procceed?

Rgds,
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline spirantho

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;696034
I guess what aggravates me is the double-standard in the geek world.  16 Apple //e computers networked together is uber; running TCP/IP on a 1982 Timex is cool*; building a watch out of Nixie tubes is bonerific; but an operating system with modern capabilities for PowerPC is just a bunch of old farts trying to hold onto a dead dream and beat a dead horse.

I think the problem is that most of the /. "geeks" moved on from Amigas themselves, or their contemporaries, when they personally decided that they were "dead". Therefore, because they think the platform is dead, that means the platform is dead, and anyone still using it is in denial and flogging a dead horse (which must be dead because they abandoned it long ago, Q.E.D.).

The whole concept of it not actually being dead even though they stopped using it doesn't even occur to many people there.

As you may be able to tell, I don't bother reading /. any more. It's too depressing, loads of apparent geeks who really believe that using an Apple (for MacOS) genuinely is "thinking different".
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 04:18:28 PM »
I'm not a fan of the 'tiered' pricing.  It's all the same OS.

Offline LoadWB

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
Quote from: tone007;696037
G4s aren't old enough to be "cool" yet, running a different OS with capabilities similar to other OSes on them isn't particularly impressive.

"Oh look! I'm browsing the web on a Powerbook!" and "Oh look! I'm browsing the web on a C64!" are two very different things.

Which is partly my point.  I don't see a lot of sneers about PPC Linux.  And Linux, Android, and the rest were "different" OSes at some point in their lives, too.  There's just no parity here -- the out-crowd has become the in-crowd they hated so much.  "Geeks" have turned into "Lady GaGa-esque fame hags."

I blame Steve Jobs for making geek chic. :laugh1:

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #74 from previous page: June 11, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;696039
Live-CD runs perfectly on my PBook 15" 1.67 (not the high-res one). But when I try to install using manual partition, I'm able to resize OSX partition but I'm a little bit confused about what to do next.
1) I have created a small 1GB HFS Partition + a big 20gb SFS partition. I tried some other options as well, but MorphOS complains about "Not a valid DOS partition" or something.
Where can I find information about what do I need to manually do in order to procceed?

See the Dual-boot MorphOS and MacOS X on a Mac Mini G4 guide. It applies to PowerBook as well.