Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Software repository (catalog)  (Read 1417 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Software repository (catalog)
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
I think it might really be useful for ALL the people here, using old Amigas, "new Amigas", OS3, OS4, MorphOS and so on... to try to make an attempt to gather as much Amiga software locations on the web as possible (proprietary mostly).

Do not forget the new people coming here (I am). Often after long time of neglecting all Amiga issues, everybody wants to get something - some news but also something intreresting to his/her very own system (or one to be).

The list actually would be auto-growing since it might be made by the Amiga.org users themselves. Then one might set up some typical structure on it - to make the searching and browsing efficient.

This nice link here on the left panel shows IMAO what it SHOULD NOT be.  Apple downloads does the job well for Mac people for example.
Hence the issue.

I do want to have an Amiga desktop system - enough for everyday tasks at home.  I'm bored with other systems.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Re: Software repository (catalog)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
you mean like aminet?

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »

Wayne wrote:
you mean like aminet?

Well "alike" is not proper to say, at all.

Come and look unless you know it: Apple downloads

I mean something USEFUL, not necessarily convenient.

Look at my case.. I've been searching some sensible (GUI, proprietary, doc files support) office suite or just a word processor.  I don't have an outlook on the solutions available, yet.  I googled heavily checked some other Amiga sites' references and all I know is "if I repeat my search, I should, yes, find a two or three word processing apps, most likely working under OS4".

But this all stuff should take me less than 60 seconds!!!

Shame.

Though, I found so many Amiga software appearances on the web I can hardly imagine.  Why not having it all in a place??

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »
Might i suggest News groups or torrent sites. If you need a link PM me.

EDIT* although there is no GUI or such in news groups the things you have mentioned have appeared there more then a few times already.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Though, I found so many Amiga software appearances on the web I can hardly imagine. Why not having it all in a place??

Since you've found all the places yourself, then maybe you're the best one to put it all in one place.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »

Retro_71 wrote:
Might i suggest News groups or torrent sites.

You do not understand.
What I mean is more proprietary software than some other internal and external free ports to AOS.

Consider this as an approach to let anybody retrieve OSX/Win/Linux -like desktop environment - so than any AmigaOS -flavored system becomes roughly a substitute.

although there is no GUI or such in news groups the things you have mentioned have appeared there more then a few times already.

That's as I said, tiny cli freeware utils are fun - but, again, the purpose I was thinking of was to gather RICH applications (in terms of interface, ergonomics, productivity, usability, performance).  All those teeny tiny ants are useful but their inclusion wouldn't be so crucial, important, though.

The list appeared a few times already?  True but... when last time actually?  Why a few times instead of one? And you're sure the list was complete?  Say I'd like to retrieve all graphics suites for e.g. OS3 or 4.  Or any other.  I am more than sure those posts you're mentioning were just instant trials of comprehensive answer to some guy's concrete needs.  

"A solution for some, probably useful for others..."  I'm talking about categorized, complete and instantly searchable collection!

Check the Apple site to get a picture of what I'm saying.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »

weirdami wrote:
Though, I found so many Amiga software appearances on the web I can hardly imagine. Why not having it all in a place??

Since you've found all the places yourself, then maybe you're the best one to put it all in one place.

I didn't say at all that I'd found everything.  All I said was that I found many diverse sources (incomplete and a bit silly) and I was amazed on their number after naiive searching, that's all.

So do not claim I said something silly I obviously I didn't.
You ask me for my involvement?  Why d'you think I posted this anyway?  For fun?

There's more men needed here.
I would eventually post some of my findings.  But as long as it's me only, this whole thing makes no sense.

Offline weirdami

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
this whole thing makes no sense.

:idea:
----

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »
The challenge is that

A) The Amiga doesn't have many office suites

2) Those that exist are rather old

iii) They're not freely distributable.

Check Amiga Future's software database (ASD) for details as to what exists, then try to find it. If something's not on Aminet, it's probably because the author wants to control distribution.

Hypothetically, if Wordworth were available for free download only from Digita (it's not), you could conceivably upload a text file to Aminet explaining just that, along with a URL to their download area. If you search, you'll see that such a thing was fairly common in the days of restrictions on GIF software.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
@DiskDoctor

I own an Intel Mac Mini.  I also am used to using Linux ports.  Apple's download site is NOT the first place I look for software for my Mac.  In fact, the only thing I remember downloading from there is OpenOffice.org and the only reason I downloaded it there is because the bandwidth on the main OpenOffice.org mirrors were so little.

The main reason I avoid Apple's download site is that there are seldom free alternatives listed for commercial software.  If I know what to Google for, it's generally cheaper just to go to the host website.

Among the free software not listed at Apple.com is MilkyTracker (which competes with GarageBand), Colloquy (a free IRC client), and most of all PySol Fan Club Edition (which contains hundreds of varieties of Solitaire games).

Furthermore you'll likely never see a cross-platform programming library on Apple.com because they want you to be locked in to their operating system and hardware.  If you want to download the Mac versions of SDL, SFML, or OpenAL Soft, you'll have to download them from their own sites.

I wish the downloads at Apple.com were as centralized as Aminet.org rather than the other way around.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »
@ weirdami

this whole thing makes no sense.

Funny really.
I think your posts make no sense.

I will, indeed, gather all the info around the topic I proposed (I think it is a good idea, I'd do it even myself anyway) and make some place for it, give me a couple of weeks.

Why do you think it's a bad idea?  Wouldn't you like the software groupped together in some convenient manner?  Not?  Then speak for yourself.  Try to give some pros or cons or alternative examples instead your politics of denial.

@ Matt H

A) The Amiga doesn't have many office suites

2) Those that exist are rather old

iii) They're not freely distributable.

Office suite/apps was an example.

You gave three points - how long did it take you to figure it out?  I can accept this status you mentioned about the office.  But I want to have an answer in 60 seconds.  Anytime I want the answer.

See my point?

Check Amiga Future's software database (ASD) for details as to what exists, then try to find it

I guess I've seen it already.  But you mean manual searching, I mean getting the answer in seconds, without google.

@ SamuraiCrow

I wish the downloads at Apple.com were as centralized as Aminet.org rather than the other way around.

Me too, I mentioned versiontracker especially as OSX software source (mainly free), by quoting Apple site I meant look/feel plus search engine.  I already said, it made me sick when some proprietary software I found had some A OS demands list as a list of hardware components actually.

BTW text files are not readable in my opinion (I mean in such pace), RICH site would make you check several things in 15 seconds instead.

@ myself

Some here claim it's a (distribution) policy, could be.  It was also one considering this issue as yielding such an outcome about the existing repositories.

Freeware programs right.  But what's the point about all proprietary stuff???  So many orders they can hardly handle?  So whats really the point here?

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
What I had forgotten is that in the past, Amiga.org has tried both a software repository (aka, files stored here) as well as a link database which I'm sad to say was as neglected as the LINKS page on the site.

Seems no one -- especially myself -- has time to properly devote the time or resources necessary to creating then manually such a project, unlike Apple or any real company who has millions to spend on such a project (because they make millions from it).

Wayne

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 02:43:04 AM »
But I want to have an answer in 60 seconds. Anytime I want the answer.

Aminet is the answer. If you think it's lacking, you can improve it by uploading more stuff or following my previous advice:

Hypothetically, if Wordworth were available for free download only from Digita (it's not), you could conceivably upload a text file to Aminet explaining just that, along with a URL to their download area. If you search, you'll see that such a thing was fairly common in the days of restrictions on GIF software.

Save yourself the effort and add to the existing central repository.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
I hope this is not too far off topic.
Does the Mac have a magazine for a list of hardware and software.  MacDirect?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline weirdami

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »

trekiej wrote:
I hope this is not too far off topic.
Does the Mac have a magazine for a list of hardware and software.  MacDirect?

Do you mean "still" have? I'm pretty sure it did years and years ago back when all the hardware was proprietary. I expect that nowadays there's no such thing as Mac specific hardware anymore.
----