Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Octamed V2 ( PC version ) to support VST's  (Read 7417 times)

Description:

Offline spihunterTopic starter

• Show only replies by spihunter
New Octamed V2 ( PC version ) to support VST's
« on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »
Hey Folks,

Maybe an interest to Amiga audio people. I was on the Med Sound studio site the other day and they had a bulletin up stating that V2 of Med Sound Studio for Windows would be out in a month and that it had support for VST plugins?

If true, I wonder how that would work in a tracker? either way it would be a cool modern thing to have available in a tracker?

They have since pulled the news off the site but I got a mail on the yahoo groups that said the announcement was put up a little early but would be back up some time in October.

Still no word on the Amiga V2 of Octamed but seeing that its taken them 5+ years just to come out with the new Windows version I'm not holding my breath :lol:

Offline McSquirrel

• Show only replies by McSquirrel
    • http://McSquirrel.istcool.de
Re: New Octamed V2 ( PC version ) to support VST's
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:30 PM »
Hi,

the free MODPlug Tracker is supporting VST plugins since at least 2002. The tracker allows you to define up to 20 "effects" using DirectX or VST plugins, then you can apply a single effect to each channel.

When playing the song, the channel output is filtered according to your settings. I guess Octamed V2 will do this in a similar way (correct me if I'm wrong ;-) ).

MODPlug Tracker runs on Windows and natively supports files of ImpulseTracker (.it), FastTracker (.xm), ScreamTracker (.s3m) and ProTracker (.mod), plus a variety of other formats like Octamed (.med) for import only. See MODPlug Central for download links.

Greetings from Germany,
McSquirrel

Offline sadddam

• Show only replies by sadddam
    • http://pollen-records.uw.hu
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:07 AM »
if comes to tracker on pc then its reason.
reason has vst support too since ages, got excellent sound quality, amiga mode, a wonderful gui - its the best tracker of all time (got mac osx version, even ppc, i've played with it on my peg with the help of mol). i can even use it to boost my old digibooster modules (save them in xm with digi).
its not freeware duh but cheap and worth the money 100%.
a must have for tracker users.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
If true, I wonder how that would work in a tracker? either way it would be a cool modern thing to have available in a tracker?

I use Renoise daily basis and the VST's in it work fabulous. Sad to say Renoise wipes the floors with SoundStudio, its way way WAY more advanced not to mention its free of charge.

Offline hooligan

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:31:11 AM »
if comes to tracker on pc then its reason. reason has vst support too since ages, got excellent sound quality, amiga mode, a wonderful gui - its the best tracker of all time (got mac osx version, even ppc, i've played with it on my peg with the help of mol). i can even use it to boost my old digibooster modules (save them in xm with digi). its not freeware duh but cheap and worth the money 100%. a must have for tracker users.

Reason doesnt support VSTs itself, but only through ReWire (unless this has suddenly changed). Also its gui sucks, its not a tracker and definetely not cheap (500 euros, I believe?)

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
McSquirrel,

Hey Thanks for the link! I've never heard of Modplug. I downloaded it a played around for a bit. It has a nice layout.
I'm going to try out some plugin on it and see how it works.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »
@Saddam,

Reason isnt a tracker at all. I've played with a few times but the GUI sent me elsewhere. I cant stand programs that try to look like physical gear. Just my personal taste.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
@hooligan,

I use Renoise daily basis and the VST's in it work fabulous. Sad to say Renoise wipes the floors with SoundStudio, its way way WAY more advanced not to mention its free of charge.

Thanks for the link!. Renoise looks really nice. Why am I always the last to hear about all these programs :lol:  

I've been looking for a decent tracker for the Mac for ages. I wonder if the Mac version supports VST or AU's? I'll have to investigate.

It also doesnt look like Renoise is free. It says that ASIO and save to .WAV are removed in the demo version.

It looks like Octamed has really fallen behind in a big way. Its no wonder that their user base on the PC seems to have fallen so much. The PC mail list is almost a quiet as the Amiga versions.

Offline hooligan

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
Even the diskwriting can be done via a VST so if you really dont want you dont have to pay. 50eur for such quality software is peanuts though. You can still compose without limitations and save your songs, so I consider it free.

Offline sadddam

• Show only replies by sadddam
    • http://pollen-records.uw.hu
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
aah people, am i stupid?:D

of course i was talkin about renoise not reason.... sorry.
it was late and i was tired:)

but afaik renoise isnt free of charge.

so all of my statements about reason goes to renoise, the best  tracker of all times:)

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »

McSquirrel wrote:
Hi,

the free MODPlug Tracker is supporting VST plugins since at least 2002. The tracker allows you to define up to 20 "effects" using DirectX or VST plugins, then you can apply a single effect to each channel.

When playing the song, the channel output is filtered according to your settings. I guess Octamed V2 will do this in a similar way (correct me if I'm wrong ;-) ).

MODPlug Tracker runs on Windows and natively supports files of ImpulseTracker (.it), FastTracker (.xm), ScreamTracker (.s3m) and ProTracker (.mod), plus a variety of other formats like Octamed (.med) for import only. See MODPlug Central for download links.

Greetings from Germany,
McSquirrel

Thanks for the link.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
I've found that the import engine for OctaMED on ModPlug Tracker seems to get some instruments out of tune for some reason.  If you must convert your OctaMED files, I'd suggest using MED2XM on your Amiga first.  Then edit the .XM files with whatever.

Offline McSquirrel

• Show only replies by McSquirrel
    • http://McSquirrel.istcool.de
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

I'd suggest using MED2XM on your Amiga first.

Hey, that really sounds nice :-) , as I'd been experimenting with OctaMED for quite some time during the late 90s. Thank you, too!

Offline Jpan1

• Show only replies by Jpan1
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Also, in addition to Octamed Sounstudio, there is a great PC tracker named Madtracker. This has the ability to play VST alongside normal samples in tracker mode. You can also load in XM's and Amiga mod files, so if you have the inclination to get more channels out of any old 4 track Amiga mods and work with VSt's then this works just fine and you can 'soup-up' those old Mod's!
Shame that it stopped development at V2.6, but this is one of the easiest and fun to use trackers on the PC and the interface is slightly less complex than Renoise.
I also look forward to Soundstudio V2  :-)

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »
@Jpan,

Madtracker looks great to!. It supports Rewire, I dont think I've seen that on any other tracker?.

I've got a lot stuff to play with when I get home.