Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general  (Read 3332 times)

Description:

Offline tonyvdb

Re: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 17, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »

adolescent wrote:

FUD.  Care to quote a reliable source on this?  

This has been the case with the X-box and its DVD output as well. The PS3 has no bench test reviews as of yet but it is almost a garentee that it will fall into the "spend alot of time developing the gaming graphics quality, CPU and not enough on the Video output quality" rut.
You dont need to beleave me (I do have alot of knowledge in this field) but you will kick yourself later when you find out. Sony has never had great video output from any of there DVD players in the past so this will most likely be the same (Denon has the best on the market). The laser pickup assembly, motor trasport, power suply transformer quality  and digital prossing all play factors in how good the quality is.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 05:16:40 PM »
The laser pickup assembly, motor trasport, power suply transformer quality and digital prossing all play factors in how good the quality is.

I dont see how that should make any of a difference when it comes to compressed video formats. The decoder chips and output is what really counts. The laser does not matter much as long as it manages to read a disc without errors. With digital formats you either have picture or you dont.. It will simply drop frames or pixels if the laser is so bad that it so bad that it cannot read the disc properly.

The ps2 was mainly a horrible dvd player due to the sucky output.. The default output was only composite!!

The laser matters more when it comes to reading scratchy discs and so on.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
With the PS3 and new Nintendo Wii, we (no pun intended) should see some bad a$$ games out.  Not necessarily for the Wii, but the PS3.  The PS3 is a powerhouse.  What I wonder though is will we see any breakthrough games?  Surely with all that power we should have lifelike graphics and killer sound.

Or is this a case of where the hardware is ahead of the programmers ability to use them to their full potential?

Thoughts?

I think the latter, only now are we seeing the true potential of the PS2 for example. It takes most of a consoles life, or any machine for that matter, for it to reach its true potential and for developers to push the boundaries.

The Amiga 1200 is a prime example, a very good example. The early PS2 games looked barely any better to some PS1 games of the time, I'm sure it will apply to the PS3 and the Wii as well. It will take a few years yet before we really see what these machines can be capable of.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 05:41:56 PM »

tonyvdb wrote:

You dont need to beleave me (I do have alot of knowledge in this field) but you will kick yourself later when you find out. Sony has never had great video output from any of there DVD players in the past so this will most likely be the same (Denon has the best on the market). The laser pickup assembly, motor trasport, power suply transformer quality  and digital prossing all play factors in how good the quality is.

A lot of knowledge in this field?  A couple of posts back you thought the Wii could play HD-DVD.  Heck, you didn't even know how to SPELL Blu-Ray. :lol:  

FUD.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 05:44:01 PM »

Tomas wrote:
The decoder chips and output is what really counts.

"and digital processing" Thats what I was talking about. HD DVDs will still need to be decoded and that uses a different process then outputting the Game video. Sony will not have spent much time on this because of the price that the PS3 is marked at.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

adolescent wrote:
A lot of knowledge in this field?  A couple of posts back you thought the Wii could play HD-DVD.  Heck, you didn't even know how to SPELL Blu-Ray. :lol:  

FUD.

Be nice, I have minor dyslexia and I have trouble typing what I want to. I know the difference between the different High Deff formats. And it is a "Blue" Laser that reads the disk. I can also tell you that the HDMI/DVI interface dosent always mean that you get a better signal to the display as some of the DVD players out there do a far better job decoding the video signal then the TV displays do particularly CRT displays using component can give far better results.  I have a 53" High Deff rear projection CRT display at home that blows most of the LCD and Plasma displays out of the field for picture quality. Particularly after I have calibrated it properly (they come poorly adjusted from the factory)  

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2006, 06:18:41 PM »
Just got home with mine here in Oregon.  Camped out 2 nights for it.

It is for sale though ;-)

AmigaHeretic
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 06:32:22 PM »

AmigaHeretic wrote:
Just got home with mine here in Oregon.  Camped out 2 nights for it.

It is for sale though ;-)

AmigaHeretic

Good thing you werent camping out with these guys: http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/16/ps3-hopefuls-shot-with-bbs-at-kentucky-best-buy/

I bet the guys who did the drive by were player hating cd32 holdouts.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »
There were many people camped out for two or more days here at various locations in below freezing temperatures (-7oC). Thats way to dedicated of a fan for me.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 07:56:42 PM »

MskoDestny wrote:

I wouldn't expect the graphics to get much better. The Gekko gets about 1125 Dhrystone MIPS at 485 MHz. Even if it scaled linearly with clockspeed you'd still end up with only about 2261 MIPS compared with 6400 MIPS for a SINGLE core in the 360 CPU combine that with a GPU that has no support for programmable shaders and you end up with a system that is completely incapable of producing "next-gen" graphics even at 480p. I'm sure there will be some improvement over the current crop of games, but there's no reason to expect any miracles.

Well, I already see lots of bloom lighting and smoother frames on Wii demos.  Whether the lighting was done in hardware or software, I don't care.  Either way, it's something the Gamecube didn't have and now the Wii does.  In the end it's all about the games and actually playing Madden on the Wii looks to be alot more fun than on the 360 or PS3.  Same goes for upcoming games like Battalion Wars which was fun on the GC but looks like a natural fit on the Wii.

If I want hi-def graphics, I have my PC.  I just look for fun games from a console and the ability to not have to be crowed around the TV.  I get this now from my GC on my DLP 50" (via my GBA player on the GC).  I'm just upgrading it to the Wii and the fun will continue.

My desire for hi-def graphics is me just being a graphics-whore.  It is not my "need".  Heck, I currently play Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones (a GBA game) on this same 50" screen and I don't complain about the graphics.  It's about the games.

People are slowly tiring of the same old games.  How many FPS games can a person play before he/she is ready for something else?  Atleast the Wii makes the aiming more involving and natural at the same time.

Changing the way you play does change how you enjoy it.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 08:22:44 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

MskoDestny wrote:

I wouldn't expect the graphics to get much better. The Gekko gets about 1125 Dhrystone MIPS at 485 MHz. Even if it scaled linearly with clockspeed you'd still end up with only about 2261 MIPS compared with 6400 MIPS for a SINGLE core in the 360 CPU combine that with a GPU that has no support for programmable shaders and you end up with a system that is completely incapable of producing "next-gen" graphics even at 480p. I'm sure there will be some improvement over the current crop of games, but there's no reason to expect any miracles.

Well, I already see lots of bloom lighting and smoother frames on Wii demos.  Whether the lighting was done in hardware or software, I don't care.  Either way, it's something the Gamecube didn't have and now the Wii does.  In the end it's all about the games and actually playing Madden on the Wii looks to be alot more fun than on the 360 or PS3.  Same goes for upcoming games like Battalion Wars which was fun on the GC but looks like a natural fit on the Wii.

If I want hi-def graphics, I have my PC.  I just look for fun games from a console and the ability to not have to be crowed around the TV.  I get this now from my GC on my DLP 50" (via my GBA player on the GC).  I'm just upgrading it to the Wii and the fun will continue.

My desire for hi-def graphics is me just being a graphics-whore.  It is not my "need".  Heck, I currently play Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones (a GBA game) on this same 50" screen and I don't complain about the graphics.  It's about the games.

People are slowly tiring of the same old games.  How many FPS games can a person play before he/she is ready for something else?  Atleast the Wii makes the aiming more involving and natural at the same time.

Changing the way you play does change how you enjoy it.

At least now we can both agree that the Wii is going to be a kick ass gaming platform, and not the future of Amiga OS4.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 03:04:13 AM »
I hate to brag!

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/045694.html

ps, Wii disks are silver like DVD's but my DVD player didn't like it either...

ofcourse, I haven't tweaked the POT on my modded qoo yet...
probably because I'm not a pirate, just like homebrew stuff...like AROS on GC!

Offline adolescent

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 03:33:09 AM »
So you got a game and controller but no Wii (yet).  I'll be impressed if you can score a Wii before street date.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »
I played Excite Truck and the graphics were alot better than any Gamecube racer I've ever played.

I think complaints about Wii graphics on some games is because lazy developers just recompiled GC builds for the Wii with no graphical updates.  And it looked great on a 27" widescreen LCD and even my female acquaintance enjoyed Excite Truck as a non-gamer.

It seems PS3's are having HDMI issues:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/17/ps3-hdmi-doesnt-like-you/

Offline adolescent

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

It seems PS3's are having HDMI issues:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/17/ps3-hdmi-doesnt-like-you/

All they need to do is hold the power button for 5 seconds (until the second beep) to let the console sync with the HDMI.  Why the joystiq guys are a week behind with this information that the AVSforum guys got day 1.

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
HDMI has always had issues, If the "handshake" between the DVD player or other device is not perfect the TV/display will block the signal. This is because of copyright laws that prohibit recording video in High deff from the players so there is little to no tolerance allowed in the digital video stream.