Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o  (Read 5055 times)

Description:

Offline Marcb

• Show only replies by Marcb
Re: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
Follett,
I think the t thing must be one of those weird reading peculiarities, I was blind to the second t until you pointed it out!

For some reason the search function on here doesn't work on my ipod touch so I don't have that particular problem:)
The way you all describe it though it makes it sound very Amiga like.. You know, kinda like installing a new card or app only to find you need version x of some lib :)
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
i'm on a variety of forums and for the most part they all use this basic template....so when amiga org changed over it felt like Old Home Week for me.

basically you can find what you need from your profile page (things like a list of your posts and so on). it's way better organized than the old forum.

frankly
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
Quote from: cecilia;518608
i'm on a variety of forums and for the most part they all use this basic template....so when amiga org changed over it felt like Old Home Week for me.

basically you can find what you need from your profile page (things like a list of your posts and so on). it's way better organized than the old forum.

frankly

Spose its what your used to, cant please everyone, ;).
So changes can annoy some people but make others happy.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;518592
Also, in the past, I've noticed that when I get logged out whilst writing a post, simply submitting the post is enough. It asks you to put in your login credentials again, and if you do so correctly, your post is submitted. There's no need to try to "go back" in the browser, the forum software has a degree more intelligence in that regard and temporarily holds your post whilst you login.

That may have been the past, but now in the present this doesn't work, not in IBrowse at least. Once a message is submitted after you've been logged out, that message is lost forever. Logging back in at that point just takes me back to the forum with no message to submit.

And since we're here, I have sent a few private messages to people on this forum over the last few weeks, and half of them just didn't get through. I sent a message to someone, didn't get a reply, so sent another one and they replied saying they never got the first one. My next replies went unanswered too, and I wonder if they even got through. I had no login problems when doing this either, and I have submitted messages both from IBrowse in AmigaOS and Opera in Linux, and both times it seems the messages were never received and read.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518616
That may have been the past, but now in the present this doesn't work, not in IBrowse at least. Once a message is submitted after you've been logged out, that message is lost forever. Logging back in at that point just takes me back to the forum with no message to submit.

It worked for me when I was making that last post on how to set the "remember me" option.

And since we're here, I have sent a few private messages to people on this forum over the last few weeks, and half of them just didn't get through. I sent a message to someone, didn't get a reply, so sent another one and they replied saying they never got the first one. My next replies went unanswered too, and I wonder if they even got through. I had no login problems when doing this either, and I have submitted messages both from IBrowse in AmigaOS and Opera in Linux, and both times it seems the messages were never received and read.

Is it possible the recipients inbox was full at the time?
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;518597
I agree with the search function. I was logged in and it still asked me a dumb question like "who is the CTO of Amiga Inc." I was'nt sure, what it was. Never heard of a CTO before. So I typed Bill Mcewan, obviously I was spelling it wrong (didnt know at time). It refused to give me a another question, so I was stuck, lol.

Haha, I got caught out by that Mcewan/Mcewen question as well.   :)

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Quote from: Argo;518594
When logged in, click on your username in the page header (Welcome, Username). That will take you to your profile page. Then click on the Statistics tab in your profile. In the first section, "Total Posts", there are two links :
Find all posts by Username
Find all threads started by Username

I'll see about adding this to the site FAQ.

When you're logged in, you can also simply click on "Quick Links >> Your Posts"
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;518597
I agree with the search function. I was logged in and it still asked me a dumb question like "who is the CTO of Amiga Inc." I was'nt sure, what it was. Never heard of a CTO before. So I typed Bill Mcewan, obviously I was spelling it wrong (didnt know at time). It refused to give me a another question, so I was stuck, lol.

I explained this in another thread, which subsequently got deleted, but it asks you a question,even when logged in, because bots can be logged in too.

Is it really so friggin hard to take 5 seconds to answer a basic question that any Amiga user should already know?  Spelling aside, that is.

I just cannot believe there is so much whining over such a simplistic feature.  It's like dealing with a bunch of 3 year olds who didn't get to slide down the slide at McDonalds.  Man up for God's sake and just enjoy.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;518629
I explained this in another thread, which subsequently got deleted, but it asks you a question,even when logged in, because bots can be logged in too.

Is it really so friggin hard to take 5 seconds to answer a basic question that any Amiga user should already know?  Spelling aside, that is.

I just cannot believe there is so much whining over such a simplistic feature.  It's like dealing with a bunch of 3 year olds who didn't get to slide down the slide at McDonalds.  Man up for God's sake and just enjoy.

Wayne

Ouch!!!!

If you read my later reply, I explained why I commented on it.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;518617
It worked for me when I was making that last post on how to set the "remember me" option.

Is it possible the recipients inbox was full at the time?

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but I have no need to make up a lie, and I'm not trying to start an argument. Maybe my IBrowse is different to yours. In any case, once I had logged back in my message was gone, and it was also gone when I pressed back. I WISH it was there once I had logged in, because then I would have posted it.

It is also quite possible the recipient's inbox was full, he's quite a popular guy on here. I guess I'll just have to hope he cleans out his inbox, or else lots of people might be wondering what's going on.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;518633
You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but I have no need to make up a lie, and I'm not trying to start an argument. Maybe my IBrowse is different to yours. In any case, once I had logged back in my message was gone, and it was also gone when I pressed back. I WISH it was there once I had logged in, because then I would have posted it.

Relax, I'm not accusing you of anything. If you say your post was gone, I've no reason to disbelieve you. For the record, I don't use IBrowse as I tend to use my linux box for browsing.

It is also quite possible the recipient's inbox was full, he's quite a popular guy on here. I guess I'll just have to hope he cleans out his inbox, or else lots of people might be wondering what's going on.

It is possible, though I would expect some sort of notification when attempting to send the message.
int p; // A

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
Perhaps the question asked when searching a.org could be made both generic and consistant ... maybe it could even get changed once a week/month to foil any bots should the need arise.

A simple math question could be presented to the user to answer for example ...
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 09:37:18 PM »
Quote from: ZeBeeDee;518649
A simple math question could be presented to the user to answer for example ...
Forgive me because this truly isn't meant to be as evil as it sounds, but really.   It's not that I'm aiming this at you good sir but I'm now officially frustrated by this..  Some idiots can't even read or use google for God's sake to answer a basic trivia question and you think they can somehow manage even basic arithmetic?

Color me doubtful.

There's a lot of "it would be great if Wayne could just" ideas out there, so feel free to bring them up to the authors of vBulletin and I'm sure they will make your dreams a reality.  

As for me, I grow weary of this stupidity.  15 years of it so far with no signs of recession, and yes,  I realize that it's only a couple of truly sad individuals whining here about being asked a simple question, but really.... Damn...  I thought we were long past all the moronic histrionics and whining as a community, but..  

I guess I underestimated..

Let me say this.  Things are what they are.  If anyone wants to make me what I consider to be a reasonable offer for this site, you can take it, put Xoops back up, color it pink and purple for all I care, but the site is, what it is, and it's a hell of a lot better than Xoops ever was -- despite the stupidity and resistance to change shown by a few here.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 12:53:34 AM »
No worries Wayne :)

Do with the site as you wish, you do own it after all plus I agree 100% about the whingers and whiners. TBH it's never mattered to me what the site ran ... xoops or vbulliten or whatever, the place exists and thats all that really counts in my book.

*addendum*

pink and purple???? ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:01:25 AM by ZeBeeDee »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »
Quote from: ZeBeeDee;518670
No worries Wayne :)

Do with the site as you wish, you do own it after all plus I agree 100% about the whingers and whiners. TBH it's never mattered to me what the site ran ... xoops or vbulliten or whatever, the place exists and thats all that really counts in my book.
Sorry for the frustration but it sometimes amazes me that we put in all this effort over the span of 15 years to provide what is, and has always been, an essentially FREE service, only to have people whine, bitch, and cry about it.

I fully accept open ideas, if they're presented to me as such.  I'm no more perfect than the next guy, but everything I do normally has a very distinct reason.  That being said, I have no more patience than other webmasters such as Davey, or Targhan, or anyone else for people who want to anonymously bitch about a free service without contributing anything in return.

It's about as rude as my reply, and to you and the others in the right of this thread, I apologize.

The OP could have simply sent me an e-mail asking me to disable human verification for registered users.  We could have discussed the pros and cons politely, and quietly.  Instead, like the other wanker that got himself banned the other day, he (probably the same 12 year old idiot) gets online and has a public go at me, even creating what I can only presume is multiple accounts to do so.  The timing of it all is just too perfect to be otherwise.

At some point, I simply have to call "bullshit" and move on with my life.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 10, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
@ Wayne

Thank you. Apology accepted (reluctantly) but it's not needed :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:14:27 AM by ZeBeeDee »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]