Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?  (Read 74811 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Hyperion/A-EON introduce us to the AmigaOne X1000. A new beginning?
« Reply #419 from previous page: August 02, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
You'd think in this community people would be a little leerier of long-term preorder arrangements...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #420 on: August 02, 2011, 02:50:19 AM »
Maybe this "new beginning" will be available by 2012. The problem is, this new beginnings system specs were already slow in 2009.

The insistence of hyperion to stay on power pc is utterly dissapointing.

What a waste of a beautiful operating system.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #421 on: August 02, 2011, 03:25:33 AM »
What's really disappointing isn't the PowerPC thing, but their dead-set refusal to take advantage of the surfeit of really decent PPC hardware out there. As I recall from the PA6T benchmarks I've seen, the X1000 (may/will) be only marginally better than my Power Mac G5, which is the low-end model, and which I got for a grand total of $25 + S/H. If they pulled a MorphOS and made custom boards an option instead of a requirement, the OS4 crowd would instantly have available a broad range of significantly more powerful and infinitely more affordable systems to choose from.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #422 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02:14 AM »
I don't think the question is now even 'when will it come out?', the question is 'what happens next for OS4 after it is released?'

A hardware launch that shifts only double digit figures cannot be considered a success by the people involved and I can't see how they're ever going to sell more than 100 units.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline psxphill

« Reply #423 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;652633
If they pulled a MorphOS and made custom boards an option instead of a requirement, the OS4 crowd would instantly have available a broad range of significantly more powerful and infinitely more affordable systems to choose from.

It's difficult to justify the development cost of porting to out of date hardware, plus they'd be going head to head with MorphOS. I don't think the X1000 is going to work out, but Apple hardware wouldn't be a wise move either.

They need something new & cheap.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #424 on: August 02, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;652650
It's difficult to justify the development cost of porting to out of date hardware, plus they'd be going head to head with MorphOS. I don't think the X1000 is going to work out, but Apple hardware wouldn't be a wise move either.

Exactly. They should move over to ARM. ARM is fast and cheap.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #425 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;652650

Could be, could be. I just mean that if they do want to stick with PPC, they'd save a lot of time and money (and have a better end product) going the MOS route. (Anyway, whatever architecture they pick there's always going to be competing products. If it's ARM they'll just wind up going against native AROS, whenever that gets finished, and x86 already has it.)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #426 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
Quote from: _ThEcRoW;652626
Betatesters have payed without getting the boards???. I think they would pay when receiving.

They paid €750 as a pre-payment upon joining the Lab-rat pack (and agreed to not being considered as real consumers, legally speaking), and they will have to pay the remaining money (minus some unknown discount) when the boards finally ships.

It was most certainly a way for Hyperion/Aeon to finance R&D and production of the thing...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #427 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
Just release it already.!!!  
Perhaps they've contacted C= USA and are waiting for them to mold a new Vic20 case to put it in.....

Sorry a bit below the belt....

Offline martin.demsky

• Show only replies by martin.demsky
    • http://www.martindemsky.com
« Reply #428 on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »
To me, Amiga was like Elvis Presley or Rolls Royce, but now i dunno. I always liked Commodore and Apple, because these machines were based on same Motorola CPUs and now Apple is perfect example how relatively closed HW can survive.

AmigaOne X1000 is ambitious project, but relatively expensive and all that depends on software you know... we will see.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #429 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
Happy September everybody!

Well not only has it been about a year since A-eon started taking money for the X1000 beta, it's also a month since the beta units were supposedly shipped. So it's time to ask again:

Any beta testers get your boards yet?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #430 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
on a polish portal exec.pl a user has been allowed to post fotos of setup he received:
http://www.exec.pl/forum/posts/list/1096.page
so i guess they do deliver now.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #431 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:19 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;657387
on a polish portal exec.pl a user has been allowed to post fotos of setup he received:
http://www.exec.pl/forum/posts/list/1096.page
so i guess they do deliver now.

Thanks for the info! I don't read Polish, but I see he also has the case - I assume he bought that separately?

Offline DCAmiga

• Show only replies by DCAmiga
« Reply #432 on: September 01, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;657392
Thanks for the info! I don't read Polish, but I see he also has the case - I assume he bought that separately?

Me either :roflmao: just did a IE Translate to English, this is what "coupler" posts:

At the request of readers I put pics. I found that it dragged a little and I'll be posting another foty gradually added, the model of the promotional campaign of one hardware emulator. So the first day AmigaOne X1000 disc Still cieplutka box. Fotka on the background of his new home. Set before submitting. AmigaOne X1000 second day after the initial installation computer, wiring remains. One of the elements of the equipment is high quality memory from Kingston HyperX series of advanced cooling system. Graphical my computer is the heart of Radeon HD 4770, while the first and only family of R700 GPU manufactured at 40nm process technology, which became the standard until the age of Radeon HD 5xxx. In the ASUS Formula, which is decided on the merits cooling system. Verges on kitsch wzronictwo is here compensated by the excellent performance to reach up to 33% lower temperature than the standard Radeon class. To post does not become too heavy in the reception, I decided from now on put pics scaled oscillating within the limits of 640x480 pixels. The full resolution will he published on his website. here are links to today's X1000 third day today I give you a break from watching Nemo photo, you give other associated topics, but I promise that tomorrow the red disc home again appear in the pictures. Nemo 2.1 has a standard connector for legacy PATA drives, but SATA dominates. So I based my config on the devices only the new standard. Pictured HDD 3.5-inch openings can be seen also in the smaller 2.5 inch drives, which is a universal standard for the X1000 housing. pockets can be easily and conveniently drawn from the case without a screwdriver, you can just lightly press two fingers protruding plaque. This time the hero of the picture is less tough guy, who for several years served as a factory drive I plugged into the Playstation 3 console In addition Nemo 2.1 and memory in the package I found the CD with a special version of AmigaOS 4.1 for X1000. It is known, however, that retail customers will receive a more advanced solution and AmigaOS version of this issue to them, never misses. To disguise my personal betaterskiego number on the board put the beta tester badge, which is one of the small bonuses that we have received already.
Amiga 500, 1/2 Meg Trap Door, RocTec HD, Slim External Floppy (DF1), KS Switcher: KS 1.3 & KS 2.04 (1987-1995)
PeeCee Box, W7 - WinUAE
Dell Inspiron 14R - laptop
Sony PS3
Sony PSP
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo 3DS

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
That case looks pretty good.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;657403
That case looks pretty good.

i think the case looks rather selfmade, probably mimicking aeon design before it become available. the logo seems to be adhesive foil print lot much alike the photos of prototype case posted on awnet. but i might err.