Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HDF file *back* to the Amiga  (Read 3736 times)

Description:

Offline acadielTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by acadiel
    • http://www.hexbus.com
HDF file *back* to the Amiga
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:11:17 AM »
I have some HDF files that are about 7 years old that I would like to export back to my Amiga.  I can't seem to figure out if Amiga Explorer can do it to a different size partition on the Amiga (the documentation on AE really is bad...), or if there is another utility I can use to write the contents of the HDF to a partition on my Amiga.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Offline Thomas

Re: HDF file *back* to the Amiga
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:10:20 AM »
A HDF can only be restored to a partition of equal size and equal geometry. Exactly equal.

You better mount the HDF in WinUAE and extract the contained Amiga files.

Or transfer the HDF to the Amiga as a file, mount it with diskimage.device and then extract files.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »
Thomas is on the money. If you have a way of connecting your Amiga HDD, for example CF HDD, to your PC you can simply copy the existing files from the HDF to the Amiga's HDD without an issue.

I do this all the time with Opus on Classic WB.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:42:45 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  With an external SCSI drive on the A2000, I couldn't really just hook it up to the PC.  I suppose a USB to SCSI adapter might work, but I've never heard of them being used with UAE before.

I wound up starting my whole emulation on the PC and LHA'ing the drives in segments... I have Amiga Explorer transferring them at a blistering 19200bps... should be done in a few days... hehe..   Glad it's a desktop PC in the basement that isn't really used, so I'll just have to have patience.

Now, if I can ever get my hands on an A2000 network card, this would have been a lot faster. :)

The game plan is to simply unLHA all the files into their respective partitions.  Hopefully it will work.... I just need to remember to use the Practical Peripherals SCSI utility to give the external SCSI a higher priority for a boot partition, so when it's powered on, it doesn't let the internal drive boot.

BTW, someone gave me some HD50 SCSI3 drives (4GB)..  I created 500MB partitions on one and left the last 500MB on the drive unused... can someone remind me about the pitfalls of 4GB, which versions of AmigaOS can use it, if me leaving the last 500MB off is still safe, etc?

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:51:35 AM »
I did a LHA unpack not so long back. 3.5 gb of WHDLoad games.... my little 600 had taken 6 hours to unpack it all lol.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 02:01:54 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;692834
I did a LHA unpack not so long back. 3.5 gb of WHDLoad games.... my little 600 had taken 6 hours to unpack it all lol.

LOL.  Yeah, I quickly learned that to install all of the WHDload games it was better to mount the hard drive on my PC and extract it there in WinUAE than to copy the LHA files to my A4000 and let my 68040 strain away unpacking them.  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 02:14:42 AM »
So what have people with SCSI drives been doing to use UAE with a SCSI drive on the PC?  Other than buying an Adaptec SCSI card and possibly hooking the drive up as a raw device in UAE?

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:39:42 AM »
Pretty much that I would have thought. After all UAE should treat the SCSI HDD just like a CF drive. You would just obviously have to format and partition as normal though I dunno if max transfer would have to be set.

Just make sure winuae assigns the drive as SCSI. Aslo hunt down Amiga911 adf. Has a great HDtoolbox setup. :)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 04:15:13 AM »
Quote from: acadiel;692839
So what have people with SCSI drives been doing to use UAE with a SCSI drive on the PC?  Other than buying an Adaptec SCSI card and possibly hooking the drive up as a raw device in UAE?

My solution was to throw my SCSI drive against a wall, hit it with a hammer and buy an IDE interface.  Not everyone agrees with this method of working with SCSI however.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:18:39 AM »
Yeah I don't ever recall that method been mentioned in any manual. Good way of shreding data though :P

Offline k4lmp

• Show only replies by k4lmp
    • http://www.k4lmp.org
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Get one of these http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_79&products_id=184 from Mechware, and be done with it.  You can use a CF card and WinUAE to do anything you want, if you have a computer with a card reader to run WinUAE on.  The card readers can be bought online for $15 or so.  No more mechanical hard drives to fail, and easy as pie to redo the OS on your Amiga using WinUAE.  I still have my 100 meg SCSI HD, but it is under the desk in a cabinet and I never use it.

Jeff