Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How do i extract .LHAs in AROS?  (Read 1306 times)

Description:

Offline Steril707Topic starter

• Show only replies by Steril707
How do i extract .LHAs in AROS?
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »
I downloaded Kens awesome icons in a .lha format, but Ubuntus Fileroller doesn't want to extract them.

I guess i have to do this in Aros, so is there any usable lha-extractor hidden in the depths of the hostes linux distribution? Or something i can download anywhere?

One other thing thats disturbing me in the linux hosted version (apart from that todays nightly build doesnt start up at all ;) ) is, that the changes i made to the workbench/wanderer do not get saved (e.g. setting up a gradient as background, wallpapers don't work at all on my current build).
The next time i start up aros again, everything's looking the way it was before.

I would like to customize this a little bit, having some fancy icons and the oldschool blue/orange workbench theme should be awesome.

Then i will show this to my old friends, who had Amigas as well in their youth, and get them into Aros as well.  

:-D
Check out my free Vectrex homebrews on http://www.borrmann.in  :-)

Offline Matt_H

Re: How do i extract .LHAs in AROS?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »
Don't know about AROS, but file-roller, like pretty much everything with a GUI in Linux, is actually just a front-end to a whole bunch of shell-based tools. Use Synaptic or apt-get to install package 'lha' (from multiverse) and then you should be able to extract things easily.

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »
Open the shell and type:

> path sys:extras/misc/aminet/c add

(Now go the directory you want to put the extracted stuff into)

> lha e PATH_OF_LHA_FILE

where PATH_OF_LHA_FILE is where the lha file is located.
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
When I wrote "NOw go to the directory..." I ment from within the shell offcourse, so that would be "cd DIRECTORY" or just "DIRECTORY", where DIRECTORY is where you want to go, and that's right, you can ommit "cd".

Also, create S:User-Startup if it does not exist and put the line "path sys:extras/misc/aminet/c add" in it and save. that will add the aminet C directory to the executable file path whenever AROS boots. This will free you from manually adding "path sys:extras/misc/aminet/c add" whenever you (re)boot AROS.
I have spoken !

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:26:18 PM »
Thanks for the fast answers...

I will  try out later, and tell you how it worked (I am on Windows at the moment  :-(  ).

thanks,
Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »
Okay, seems to work fine now... Also nice advice with the user startup. Helps a lot.

Are there any recommended distributions of Aros that run more stable? I heard about Aros Max being good, but i cannot download that anywhere. My linux hosted Aros keeps on crashing like mad, and is doing all kinds of crazy things. Sometimes when i try to customize stuff with the prefs/wanderer tool, the whole system won't startup anymore. Thats really bad.

One more question from me: Is there any kind of graphical representation of the filesystem inside AROS?

i know the concept of the Workbench was kind of hiding the internal stuff from the users, and showing only the relevant progs, but what do i do if i wanna copy something, or do other stuff? I remember DirOpus on the classic WBs doing the magic on this one, whats in there from Aros on this?
I just ask, with your help i got the lha with kens icons now extracted, but i cannot see the drawer with them on the Wanderer/WB, seems there is no .info file for the drawer.

any solutions to this problem?

thanks for all the previous input,
Mike

Offline Einstein

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »
As for AROS Max, never tried it, and AFAIK it's very old now.

AROS Hosted, never tried that either, it's AFAIK an environment under Linux, and because of that it may very well cointain bugs not existent in AROS Native and vice versa.

Regarding Wanderer, whenever you open a storage device by double clicking it, you will only see items that has a .info associated to them, in order to see all items you need to pick menu item  Window->View->All files.
Seems that Wanderer Prefs app do not have an option to set it permanently yet.
However i did "un-lha" an archive today into ram:, I could see the actual files (.info) in the shell but not in Wanderer, this is a little bit strange, Wanderer is a fascist  ;-)

I have not yet myself tried to install any icon package yet, cannot tell you if those contain any installer app/script or anything, otherwise you might need to install them manually. If the Icon archive, when extracted, contain a directory structure like:

System
Rexx
Prefs
Prefs/Env-Archive/SYS
Utilities
Tools
Tools/Commodities
etc..

then you probably can just copy the whole directory structure into your AROS partion, you can do this by opening a shell and:

> copy YOUR_ICONS_DIR sys: all

where YOUR_ICONS_DIR contains the directory structure I explained above, be careful anything can happen though, considering bugs..
I have spoken !

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
It's strange though, the native i386 version that i have on cd works like a charm. Almost "uncrashable". The hosted linux version almost doesn't work at all, and if it works, it gets crashed completely down by changing a few prefs. I know the hosted linux version is heavy work in progress, but still, this is a little bit disencouraging.
I would like to have a hosted linux version as rocksolid as the native i386 one i have. It's sad that those snapshots are not available anymore.

Anyway, thanks for all the valuable info,
keep rocking,
Mike

Offline Einstein

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »
There's this option to run native under an emulator, that's what I do, I'm using Qemu for that, it's really slow that way, but at least more comfortable than REAL native for now.
I have spoken !

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 02:00:17 AM »
Hey Einstein, are you using Qemu on Linux or Windows?

greets,
Mike

Offline Einstein

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 10:05:16 AM »
Windows, here's the link: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html

Apparently you can see a Linux binary there, what Linux distro would that be I wonder ?
I have spoken !

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »

Einstein wrote:
Windows, here's the link: http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html

Apparently you can see a Linux binary there, what Linux distro would that be I wonder ?

My mistake... No Linux binary off course.. :-)