Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 32520 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Amiga PCs on the way....
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:11:45 AM »
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/commodore-usa-to-relaunch-amiga-brand-with-series-of-aros-deskto/
Desktops

Commodore USA to relaunch Amiga brand with series of AROS desktops
By Joseph L. Flatley posted Aug 31st 2010 7:03PM

Barry's back, kids! The CEO of Commodore USA just informed us that, in addition to slapping Commodore stickers on various all-in-one PCs, he has acquired the rights to the Amiga name (we only hope that the process went a little smoother this time around). The plan is to sell machines that fully support AROS -- an open source variant of AmigaOS 3.1 that the kids seem to go crazy for. We can't wait to get a look at these bad boys, but for now it looks like we'll have to do with the picture of an old Amiga 3000 he inexplicably included with the PR. The PR, that is, that can be seen in its entirety after the break.
Show full PR text
COMMODORE USA ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF AMIGA EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE LICENSING RIGHTS
Company to produce new line of Amiga branded keyboard computers

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL. and MAPLE VALLEY, WA. August 31, 2010 – Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc., today announced their licensing agreement whereby Commodore USA, LLC will produce a full line of new AMIGA branded "AIO" (All In One) keyboard computers, under an exclusive worldwide license granted by Amiga Inc. for this newly revitalized computer category.

Mr. Barry Altman, President and CEO of Commodore USA, LLC states "We are ecstatic to be partnering with Amiga Inc. in this new, exciting product launch. The legacy of the Commodore and Amiga trademark brand, reunited once again after so many years, and our reintroduction of the legendary All-In-One computer keyboard form factor, combined with the twenty-five year anniversary of the introduction of the first Amiga computer by Commodore International, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Commodore USA has now taken a major role in not just supporting the future Amiga market with our many new products, but also in providing a new beginning for the enormous existing Amiga community. Our relationship with them, along with our support for the elegant, robust and lightweight AROS desktop operating system, will ensure that they and future customers will benefit from our new and exciting vision, and enable the legacy Commodore and Amiga culture to flourish. We look forward to bringing these new products to market, and welcoming a whole new generation of computer users to the Commodore and Amiga experience". Mr. Altman continues " I would like to personally thank our team of advisors, consultants, lawyers and most of all the over 5 million viewers to our website, and the 270,000+ respondents who took the time to provide us with not only their thoughts and suggestions, but offered us their support and wishes for our success. And one more thing: We have now successfully negotiated the acquisition of two legendary brand exclusive trademark licenses. Our efforts will now continue in acquiring the third and final brand license, completing our quest for the total technology trifecta. Stay tuned...the best is yet to come!".

In response to an overwhelming demand from Amiga users worldwide, Commodore USA's CTO Leo Nigro announced today that their new Amiga branded computers will be fully AROS compatible, and that they will be supporting the AROS open source community in every way possible. Mr. Nigro states "With the monumental strides that AROS has recently achieved, we realize the importance of accelerating this progress with funding that will enable this project to rapidly move forward and take it's rightful place at the forefront of desktop operating systems". With the recent announcement of their newly updated Commodore C64 model, and the acquisition of the Amiga brand exclusive trademark license, Commodore USA has once again catapulted the Commodore and Amiga namesake to the forefront of consumer electronics brand recognition.

About Commodore USA, LLC

Commodore USA, LLC designs, produces and markets a series of all-in-one Commodore branded keyboard computers, and other unique form factor computers and consumer electronics.

Barry S. Altman is the President and CEO of Commodore USA, LLC, based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Spanning a 25 year career in the bleeding-edge electronics and satellite/space telecommunications industry, Mr. Altman founded and served as CEO & President of Cabletech Satellite Systems, Inc. U.S. Cable Technology, Inc., The Cabletech Satellite Network and United Broadcasting Co. This group of companies built NOC's (Network Operation Centers) for cable television programmers, and cable television head ends for cable companies throughout the United States, They designed and constructed the satellite uplink network operation centers for such companies as Viacom International, Warner Amex, Viacom and MTV Networks. They directed and produced the domestic satellite telemetry downlink for the Live Aid concert for MTV, which was at that time the largest world wide deployment of a live satellite television broadcast. Cabletech has manufactured, designed and installed systems for Grumman Aerospace, The United Nations, government and private industry, and over 45,000 TVRO C& Ku band satellite systems for businesses and consumers nationwide. Cabletech was a developmental partner with General Motors & Hughes Communications in the small aperture DBS system that later became DirecTv.

About Amiga Inc.

Amiga Inc. holds the intellectual property related to the AMIGA personal computer that was developed and sold by Commodore International and Amiga Corporation, including hardware designs, software, operating systems, trademarks, and other intellectual properties. Amiga Inc. also produces and distributes enabling technologies and applications for wired and wireless devices that provide technology to developers for writing and porting applications to a new multi-media operating system that is hardware agnostic, enabling applications to run unchanged on x86 and other processors. States Bill McEwen, CEO/Pres "We at Amiga are pleased to once again be part of the great plans and products at Commodore USA. This is just the beginning of something great".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline aperez

• Show only replies by aperez
    • http://inertial.biz
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:00:26 AM »
...eh, werid. I had to ask myself if today was some alternative April Fools' day. The link in your post was malformed, but here's a working hyperlink... http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/commodore-usa-to-relaunch-amiga-brand-with-series-of-aros-deskto/

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:01:33 AM »
This is actually quite funny :)

I thought Amiga Inc had imploded and taken Mr Bill with them.....obviously not.

Oh well, if it does happen it will be a great boost for Aros.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »
WOW today is a wierd day indeed.  As much as I would love to have a brand new Amiga on store shelves and of course in my home I can't help but wonder if it would be remotely the same as it was when I bought my Amiga's back when.  Seems it will be just a PC with an Amiga sticker on it and an open source so the thought of a new Amiga without any R&D just seems kinda...fake.  I can put a PC together myself and buy a Amiga sticker for it and install AROS or something on it.  I will keep an eye out though in case I am wrong.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »
Hmmm... Reckon I'll have to put off buying my first ever PC now, just in case theirs some truth in this story, still a bit sceptical but you never know... :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:50 AM »
A point for x86 camp.
Next up port OS4 to x86.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »
I'd much rather see new classic Amiga hardware instead of peecees with Amiga stickers on them :(

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
I must admit, a commodore style PC case with AROS would be pretty rad.

Offline yogiofvm

• Show only replies by yogiofvm
    • http://vitalmotion.eu
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
hey just have a look at linux

same hardware that windows but such better

hardware can make a computer, right but surrely software too

still working myself on opensuse from months (have work thrtought an art's gallery)
and then still beginning coding on aone ;)

well just my point of view

regards

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »
well well l chouldint belive my eyes wonders will never cease got give mr bill credit for his never say die attitude good on you.
well its got be good for Aros folks that put in the hard work l cant see this as anything but good news if promotes the amiga brand its got be good news
hopfully amiga x1000 will run along side these machines pretty amazing got so many amiga flavours with os 4.1 morphos Aros
love the idea of intergrated keyboard and pc , still think amiga 1200 looks nice even today. and with motherboards so small no need for large pc cases
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:34:32 AM by actung_bab »
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
"Our American lawyers will take action against this.

This is blatant violation of the rights Hyperion Entertainment secured in the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc., Itec and Amino.
"
(source)

Offline Jakodemus

• Show only replies by Jakodemus
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »
I hear popcorns are getting ready in my microwave...

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
Quote from: Piru;577033
"Our American lawyers will take action against this.

This is blatant violation of the rights Hyperion Entertainment secured in the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc., Itec and Amino.
"
(source)

I hope the "CommodoreUSA" got better lawyers than whoever designed their website. :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »
Soooo funnny.   Yet another company ready to drag the Amiga name through the mud.  I would rather never see an Amiga branded product again than see these muppetts releasing Amiga branded Crap.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
Going by the history of this jerkoff I suspect it will be some lameass bargain bucket machine which has zero Commodore styling cues with a fake sticker slapped on the case as it emerges from some generic far east factory. Once again save yourself 50% and just buy something that AROS 100% supports and put it on there yourself....then print out your Amiga sticker and job's a good 'un :)

I wouldn't piss on this guy if he was on fire, let alone give him a penny. And I like how he has added EVEN MORE COPYRIGHTED IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION to his shit website I could build in 45 mins using Frontpage from last decade LOL