Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: pc bridgeboard alternative?  (Read 392 times)

Description:

Offline amyrenTopic starter

• Show only replies by amyren
pc bridgeboard alternative?
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
I noticed there exist a lot of these all-in-one computers on a PCI / or ISA cards, and some at affordable prices on ebay. Like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axiomtek-SBC82810-Rev-A2-RC-Half-Size-PCI-Single-Board-Computer-Industrial-/390977893201?pt=BI_Control_Systems_PLCs&hash=item5b08193351

I always was intrigued by emulating pc's or having the hardware inside the amiga, like AtOnce for the A500 or the bridgebords available for A2/3/4000 series, so for me this rises some questions..

Would cards like the above be possible to use in modern amigaone's with pci slots, or on a classic with pci extension boards?
If it doesnt mess up the pci bus, would the card be able to use the pci bus for anything else than physical support or may it be able to access anything on the pci bus / or be accessed in any way from the host computer?
If it can be used at all, at least it could be used as a half decent pc, and be accessed via remote desktop or by using a kvm swicth. I think it could be a more powerful alternative to old, expensive bridgeboards, if you are able to find one for sale.

Offline mechy

Re: pc bridgeboard alternative?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:05 AM »
I just bought one of these myself to experiment with. They are not made to be plugged into a active computers pci slots, They are intended for passive backplanes of slots usually-a standard is called PICMG similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX6022-14G-BACKPLANE-BOARD-14-slot-ATX-supported-Bridged-PICMG-Bus-Active-Backp-/261653492811?pt=BI_Control_Systems_PLCs&hash=item3cebc3744b

These will not work like real bridge boards,but they could be useful for a all in one machine.

The board i just bought is here, i made a offer for $30 and got it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191382046261?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This particular one had isa 16bit and pci. i intend to use the isa in the 4000t or 2000(havent decided) and it will draw power from it-this board being a p4-2.8ghz uses the 4 pin additional power from a molex also. I just got the board and haven't had a chance to try any of this yet.
This board also came with a p4 cpu that uses under 60W(or was it 65w?) cant recall. It shouldnt suck the life out of the power supply ;)
it has almost anything you could want or need: usb,ethernet,sata,ide,floppy port,ps2 ports,serial/par etc.

The best advice: Get the model number and revision of the board you want to buy,and carefully
find the pdf and check the specs closely. some use special breakout cables for ports that can be costly or impossible to find,some have different connector like pci-e,pci-x,isa 8 bit,or proprietary. Pay attention to power usage. Isa is really the only way on amigas since its basically a "dead" slot with power to it.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
I have one of those ISA PC card in my A2000. It's a Pentium 1 266MHz with built in video, eth, serial and floppy controller. The only thing was missing is the sound card, but I got a SB16 and it works fine now.

Like Mechy said, you need a PASSIVE PCI or ISA slot to use them, so probably it will not work in AmigaOne MB.

The ISA version works great in my A2000, got Win95 installed on it with bunch of DOS games, like DOOM and Quake.
You do need a separate KB and Mouse :D
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »
Cool find Mechy!  I would worry about the amount of heat that thing is going to produce.  The bad thing about using that one is that you won't be able to fit many Zorro cards in the A2000, or A4000 at the same time due to space limitations, but it should be interesting.  Let us know what version of Windows you plan to install and run on that P4.  I am guessing that it should be able to run Windows XP, or maybe even something newer.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;778071
Cool find Mechy!  I would worry about the amount of heat that thing is going to produce.  The bad thing about using that one is that you won't be able to fit many Zorro cards in the A2000, or A4000 at the same time due to space limitations, but it should be interesting.  Let us know what version of Windows you plan to install and run on that P4.  I am guessing that it should be able to run Windows XP, or maybe even something newer.

Heat comes from wattage,and being its 60w cpu( one of the lowest in the list) it should be fine.
Dont get me wrong,it will make some heat. I checked the fit in the left most slot in the 2000 and there is still room for several zorro cards and the accelerator,so its not as bad as it seems. As mentioned i was going to probabaly use it in a 4000T(tower),not a desktop. I think a 4000D would be too cramped and cooling would be a issue. The docs to the board say it will run 2000,NT,Xp etc..anything 32bit as long as there are drivers.. as mentioned above the only thing missing on my card is sound. But the sound board is $30 addon,or i could use a ISA sound card. a wireless mouse and kbd might make it less of a cable mess.