Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Octamed in Winuae/Amikit  (Read 3243 times)

Description:

Offline spihunterTopic starter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Octamed in Winuae/Amikit
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
Hey Folks,

I've got Winuae/Amikit setup on my laptop. Specs:

2.0 Ghz Core2 Duo (T7250)
3Gb ram
Intel mobile 965 chipset
Windows XP SP3

I'm getting skipping and general lag in the audio w/ Octamed SS 1.03
I'm using the defualt audio settings from Amikit.

I've been reading post here that folks have got sound working 100% in WinUAE.

Could someone post their audio settings here so I can get an idea of what you guys are doing to achieve this?

I think my machine is up for the task?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:01:05 PM by spihunter »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Octamed in Winuae/Amikit
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
Paula audio emulation worked fine even on my old Duron 1200 with OctaMED, so I certainly think your machine ought to be capable.

Pity there's no AHI output option for OctaMED. That would really make a difference.
int p; // A

Offline Caius

• Show only replies by Caius
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;509594
Pity there's no AHI output option for OctaMED. That would really make a difference.

Yeah, or even a Toccata emulation library for WinUAE.
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

Offline amiga4ever

• Show only replies by amiga4ever
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
You might want to try the Portaudio plugin which gives Winuae access to low latency ASIO. Just place it in the root of your Winuae directory and then select it PA: ASIO from Winua sound settings.

information here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42566

I use it myself, and it has enabled me to set the buffer in Winua to 1 with no skipping! Works well.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »
Well, that's always what I've run into G, sucks. I wonder if:

Intel mobile 965 chipset

Is to blame? Monkey with hardware acceleration settings? Did any others here have thier WinUAE setup on regular box with a sound card?
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
Not sure. My last machine had a PCI SBLive 1024. My current machine has built in Intel HD audio, but I haven't really tried Soundstudio under UAE on it yet.
int p; // A

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
@amigaforever,

Thanks for that link. I'm going to give that a try. That sounds like it would really help out.

@Thread,

I've messed with a few settings and its seems to run smooth now. Problem now is that it sounds a bit distorted?. I guess I'll keep fiddling!

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »
@Spihunter

This might interest you if you like trackers: http://www.renoise.com/

Makes old Soundstudio/Octamed users  ditch them in a heartbeat.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
I never really had any problems using Paula emulation with Octamed, but I stopped using  along time ago...

Why?  Because you can use AHI with OctaMed.

You need a program called "The Maestrix".  Basically it is just simply wrapper I believe for  MaestrixPro to AHI.

Just put Maestrix program in your Startup folder.  Then in the mixing settings of OctaMed choose the MastroPro 16bit setting.  Now it's as you have a 16bit audio card in your WinUAE machine.  It's just using AHI though.

This is the best way to go as far as I know.  At least it works great for me.  The mixing sounds better of course to as it's full 16bit.

EDIT:
FYI As far as I  know this lets you use OctaMed SoundStudio on AmigaOS4.x as well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:27:33 PM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;509657
I never really had any problems using Paula emulation with Octamed, but I stopped using  along time ago...

You need a program called "The Maestrix".  Basically it is just simply wrapper I believe for  MaestrixPro to AHI.

Really? I guess OctamedSS will be amongst the first app to go on my A1 after OS4.1 gets here :D

I take it you can you use Calibrated Paula output on the original machine also? Always sounded a bit cleaner than OctaMed's own 14-bit output to my ear...
int p; // A

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
@hooligan,

Yea, I looked at renoise a while back. It seems that they have a Mac & Linux version now. I dont use trackers that much these these days. I'd thought I'd try and get Octamed running on my laptop to see if it sounded good enough to ditch my A2000.

Its free and I already know how to use. Two big positives in that favor.
After all this fiddling though I proabaly could have learned Renoise by now! :)

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;509657

Just put Maestrix program in your Startup folder.  Then in the mixing settings of OctaMed choose the MastroPro 16bit setting.  Now it's as you have a 16bit audio card in your WinUAE machine.  It's just using AHI though.

This is the best way to go as far as I know.  At least it works great for me.  The mixing sounds better of course to as it's full 16bit.

EDIT:
FYI As far as I  know this lets you use OctaMed SoundStudio on AmigaOS4.x as well.

Thats an interesting idea!  I should try that on the computer I mainly use AmiKit on....

(PS: Didn't I talk to you on PCEFX.com about HuC and assembly?!)

OP: I had the same problem as you but then I went into the config for sound WHILE i was running AmiKit and messed with the settings.  I set the buffer larger, and monkied with a few settings til it stopped being wonky... It seems to be an onboard-soundcard issue.   It only does this on my PC that has onboard sound.   I tested it on the pc to its right, which has a PCI Soundblaster card, and there was no problem........

switched my sound driver on that PC to the onboard drivers, and the problem was on that PC also....  too bad I don't use AmiKit on that PC, since the PCI soundcard works/sounds better ._.

once you get it straightened out, (I hope this helps!) save the config (DONT forget that part! >_<) so it always stays that way.  

:juggler::roflmao::juggler:
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Roondar

• Show only replies by Roondar
    • http://www.powerprograms.nl/
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;509594
Paula audio emulation worked fine even on my old Duron 1200 with OctaMED, so I certainly think your machine ought to be capable.

I always wondered how people did that...

The first PC I had that could actually run WinUAE without frameskipping and audioskipping was a Pentium IV at 2.4Ghz.

My old Athlon 1000 (with SB Live and some at-that-time high end Videocard) sure as hell never managed to play the average Amiga games 'properly' under WinUAE. Sound latency was very bad on that setup, it needed something like half a second of buffer to not stutter all the time.

(For sure his PC ought to be more than capable though ;))

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
SBLive cards have historically had bad audio latency issues in general. There were 3rd party drivers you could get that addressed them. They made quite a difference to softsysnths too, which is probably the reason I had them in the first place.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;510388
SBLive cards have historically had bad audio latency issues in general. There were 3rd party drivers you could get that addressed them. They made quite a difference to softsysnths too, which is probably the reason I had them in the first place.

Creative did, for some reason, have monumentally bad drivers! I too had an old SBLive! and had to use some 3rd party ASIO drivers for my softsynth work.