Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 Guru  (Read 700 times)

Description:

Offline Norm7

• Show only replies by Norm7
A1200 Guru
« on: May 27, 2003, 08:42:14 PM »
Hello ,  Since my last visit wich was helpfull , i hava this time a bigger topics for you .A member has a 1200HD ntsc ; he had probleme while loading Miami ; he went in his HD partition thinking not enough space (don't ask why ... ) and by accident i think he unformat his HD .Since, when put on power ,a GURU message appears and OS3.0 not oading. I try with loading with the 2 mouses buttons and boot with no startup-sequence , the window appears with the echo Amiga message in a shell  window with the prompt 1>
it is not recognise command while the answer is unknown command !
I also tried to load from floppy with OS3.0 install disk.
Do you have suggestions to do ?  Thanks in advance

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
Re: A1200 Guru
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 12:24:28 AM »
Hi
I'm sorry but I didn't really get what you meant, did the Amiga start from the Install 3.0 disk?

If it did could you access the HD from it? If not did you see the partitions coming up as DH0:???? or did you get nothing at all?

And what do you mean by unformat the disk? Some more information would definitely help.
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline theTAOTopic starter

• Show only replies by theTAO
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 05:45:34 PM »
If he's using multiple partitions and actually changed the partition boundaries (in the RDB), it's very tricky going backward, short of carefully replacing the old RDB settings, which I doubt were recorded anywhere.  There are tools on Aminet (maybe RDBSalv ?) that hunt for missing partitions or scrambled RDB's, but I've never had to use them and can't say how well they work.  If he performed a complete, full format of any partition, that's a complete dead-end.  On the other hand, if he performed a quick format on any partition, or a partial full format, these can be reversed by Disksalv 4 (with varying degrees of success), assuming you have a copy handy.

It's probably worth asking if the time spent from all this recovery work is better spent reinstalling the OS from scratch.  You may still be able to salvage important files with Disksalv, Quarterback Tools, etc., without actually recovering the partitions(s), assuming you can find somewhere to save the files...maybe a 2nd floppy drive?  Next time around, he'll treat HDToolbox with a little more respect. ;-)

Hope that helps,

Todd

Offline Norm7

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 04:16:22 PM »
Well, first i tried to start from put on the computer, then yhe GURU message comes .
Then i tried to load from floppy install disk os3.0 and
have a shll window with the prompt 1> ...

Offline Norm7

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 04:23:11 PM »
Thanks for answering ,
I tried to boot from floppy whitout succes , using
install OS3.0 disk and also using Disksalv .

It comes after with the shell widow and the prompt 1>  , not recognise any commands like dir, list etc..
WB dos not load .  Is there a way to start from scratch  ?