Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why do people believe the advertising?  (Read 8931 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Why do people believe the advertising?
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 29, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;550136
BTW: Can someone explain to me the difference in functionality between a browser Tab and "Right click" "Open in new window"?  
Neither makes any difference in memory or speed that I can see.  
Tabs up the top of the screen or windows down the bottom. I know what I'm used to when I run multiple programs. Why is the browser different ?
How do you tile tabs horizontally or vertically on a super wide screen.  You cant!.  Big X to that nice piece of functionality.  But its new and cool. Hey what a good idea.

Geeze I'm grumpy today!  Sorry I have an aching ankle and the drugs have gone right to my head.

Gertsy.

Because its nice to have all your pages in use open in ONE instance of your browser, instead of say 15, if you are browsing that many pages.   Alot faster to flip between em all if its all in one browser....

i mean if you dont LIKE tabs, and want to tile a bunch of windows at the same time and see like 8 pages at once, use 8 instances instead.

:)  Chromes got the nicest tabs though!
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: zombi;550137
Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.11 was different. Windows 3.11 was using different kernel (NT kernel). And totaly incompatible with MSDOS and Windows 3.0

NT product family is like this:
-NT 3.1 (Was simply called Windows NT)
-NT 3.5
-NT 3.51
-NT 4.0
-NT 5.0 (Windows 2000)
-NT 5.1 (Windows XP)
-NT 5.2 (64-bit XP)
-NT 6.0 (Windows Vista)
-NT 6.1 (Windows 7)

Original Windows Series (running on MSDOS) is like this
-Windows 1.0
-Windows 2.0
-Windows 2.1x
-Windows 3.0
-Windows 3.11 (Win for workgroups)
-Windows 95
-Windows 98
-Windows ME

Nup. But close. Ive fixed it up for you above.
Windows 1 - Windows ME Including 3.11 were all on DOS. With 16 and 32bit code.  You are confusing Windows NT 3.1 of which the LANMAN components were used to create Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Called such to stop confusion with NT 3.1.  The PC/User versions of 3.5-4.0 were called Workstation and then Professional for 2000 and XP (Though the server was dropped here)

Sadly I was there...For all of 'em....

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:43:29 AM by gertsy »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
@Arkhan. Understand your opinion but will still point out that quite often in IT we re-invent things to make life easy without understanding the commonly used feature set. I see it happening in new generation development all the time.
BTW: Has anyone tested how much memory one instance of chrome with 5 open sites uses compared to 5 instances of chrome with the same sites&pages open.  Which configuration can windows VM/paging handle best..?

I'd test it but I don't use Tabs or chrome.  (o:

Gertsy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:46:16 AM by gertsy »

Offline WotTheFook

• Show only replies by WotTheFook
    • http://www.amibay.com
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
You are all wrong...

7 is the amount of Gb of RAM that the OS needs..... go on, just admit that I'm right about Windoze bloatware......:D

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
no your not correct your talking garbage
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
It's short for 7/10 the ratio of your applications that are no longer compatible.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
7 is an odd number and a prime number..
7 Is the number of deadly sins
7 of 9 Is a nice looking Borg
7 Is one more than 6 and one less than 8.
7*7 = 49
The square root of 823543 is ...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
The square root of 823543 is ...

+/- 907.492699695 (12 sig fig) ?
int p; // A

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;550154

:)  Chromes got the nicest tabs though!

You misspelled Opera :razz::razz::razz:

Btw, 10.51 is out, and it pwns.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 06:32:39 AM »
Ive only seen windows 7 briefly but it didn't seem terribly different from vista. People swear its faster so I'll defer to experts on this one.

I did get to play with a friends netbook running 7 but that is barely usable. Kinda sad, as it was a neat little machine, but windows just isn't up to snuff on that sort of hardware.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »
I think microsoft is simply trying to combat the mac attack. Apple, you have to hand it to them has been pretty slick on trashing them on tv alot.

Personally, I think windows is a pile of crap stacked on top of another pile of crap, stacked on top of... well you get the idea.

If it was up to me, I'd still be running MSDOS :) I absolutely hated that point (I guess windows 95) when you were more or less forced to use
windows. I resented them making me use that piece of shit, and I still
don't like it. I use it because I have to. For fun, I use my amiga and linux pc's alot so I stay sane.

Pardon me, I have to go run some spyware zappers and malware detectors until morning. Who's !$#*^! idea was that for windows 7?

Steven

Offline clusteruk

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:05 AM »
Windows 7 is much more than vista sp3. It is lean and fit for purpose now and a good successor to XP. I ignored vista totally like a lot of devs.

Runs on low spec hardware really well, like my dual booting acer aspire. However once we get wifi in six months on Aros i will not need windows on it any more.
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:50 AM »
Windows 7 is fantastic, it's not related to Vista. It may look similar but there has been some major code rewrites and it behaves like a different beast. Having supported Vista at my old job under a pilot and attending some presentations on Vista and 7 and explaining the changes in 7 it is a huge breath of fresh air.

Even runs on a humble netbook at full throttle, 30 second boot time vs 4 and half minutes by Vista... and that was on a machine with 512MB of RAM. Vista choked trying to multitask, 7 no problems.

It's fast, stable and does what it is told.

From the Windows blog...

"The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We've used version numbers like Windows 3.1, or dates like Windows 98, or "aspirational" monikers like Windows XP  or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new "aspirational" name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows.

Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense."

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/13/introducing-windows-7.aspx

TBH it's a fantastic product and something I can finally replace XP with. I've also haven't used Ubuntu in awhile (apart from on my server, but then linux is great for that task.. apart from AD/PDC roles...)

MS Office on the other hand.... now thats bloatware :)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;551656
Windows 7 is fantastic, it's not related to Vista. It may look similar but there has been some major code rewrites and it behaves like a different beast. Having supported Vista at my old job under a pilot and attending some presentations on Vista and 7 and explaining the changes in 7 it is a huge breath of fresh air.

Even runs on a humble netbook at full throttle, 30 second boot time vs 4 and half minutes by Vista... and that was on a machine with 512MB of RAM. Vista choked trying to multitask, 7 no problems.

I don't know what the problem is with my buddys netbook then. It took several minutes to boot up to anything resembling a usable state, and trying to do anything on it moved at a crawl. Maybe he's got a bunch of junk starting up automatically or something.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;551649
For fun, I use my amiga and linux pc's alot so I stay sane.

Amiga is FUN, yes.  Linux is fun if you have masochistic tendancies.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
I have to say Windows 7 is the best version of windows I ever used, simple because it works, I have used and owned most versions of windows found problem with all of them, but so far after using win7 for a good few months, no problems, which I'm simple amazed by, there also even a few nice new features, even more amazing! It took microsoft a while but I think they finally built a half decent OS.

As for calling it windows 7, dont really fully understand why they ever changed it to names and dates in the first place. But it better name than my phone, i8910HD why call it such a ramdom name.