Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: plea to UAE devs (key mapping)  (Read 797 times)

Description:

Offline cycloidTopic starter

plea to UAE devs (key mapping)
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »
I managed to get (pocket) UAE running on my netbook/phone thing, it's one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Universal and has a 640x480 screen, so running an amiga as if in 320x240 is a breeze. Unfortunately the port of UAE i was using had a bodged on screen keyboard and i was stuck trying to save the game on bloodwych, why? because whilst it has a QWERTY keyboard it has no function keys and you need to press one to save the game.

Bearing in mind the plethora of smartphones, consoles, netbooks and microwaves that are thoeretically capable of emulating an amiga - which may have limited input options - it'd be great if there was a way to remap (per UAE profile) ANY physical input button press to ANY amiga button press. This way i could remap bloodwych's keyboard input (which uses Del and Help for turning, for example) and map these to somewhere else. So U -> Del and O -> Help and J/L -> Arrows Left/Right etc. and finally so that F1 -> A (Load), F2 -> S (Save) , F10 -> Q (Quit) etc. etc. etc. This could be done via config (hex codes to mappings, like quake's config files) or the UI by being able to slect a keyboard key from a screenshot (or mouse/joystick button/direction too) then press a physical button on your device to map it - like mapping console controllers to actions in games

I'd happily do this myself as i reckon a redirection layer from physical keyboard -> emulated key press wouldnt be too much effort unless the code was super freaky but i dont really have time, plus i'm thinking more to do with pocketUAE which AFAIK is dead, however if the functionality was in the core it'd filter down to all ports on all devices.

How good would it be able to very easily remap the amiga joystick to your mobile phone's input stick and another button to FIRE and play original amiga games on the bus!