Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 security is "epic fail"  (Read 19526 times)

Description:

Offline ejstans

• Show only replies by ejstans
Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #179 from previous page: January 13, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
Quote from: A1260;606447
when sony start suing instead of plugging the security hole, then you know they cant fix the problem and have lost.
Something to consider:
Quote from: fail0verflow
Reminder: do NOT update to future versions. PS3s are permanently owned  through hardware, but Sony can throw roadblocks in your way via SW.
"It is preferable not to travel with a dead machine."

A500 1.3 / 512KiB slowmem / GVP HD8 w/ 8MiB fastmem & 52MB HDD
A600 2.05 / 1GB SSD
A1200 3.0 / Blizzard 1200/4 w/ 68882 @ 33MHz / 1GB SSD
A1200T 3.0 / Apollo 1260 w/ 68EC060 @ 50MHz & 16 MiB fastmem / 4GB SSD

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
I have no doubt Sony will attempt to plug this via some "security" related update. And once they have they will insist that in order to access PSN you must have that update installed.
So Sony's security/protection scheme has failed. And its neat that we will have the full access to hardware that was previously blocked by the hypervisor.
But I think labeling this as "epic" is premature and I don't think this is over yet (not by a long shot).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline ejstans

« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;606471
I have no doubt Sony will attempt to plug this via some "security" related update. And once they have they will insist that in order to access PSN you must have that update installed.
So Sony's security/protection scheme has failed. And its neat that we will have the full access to hardware that was previously blocked by the hypervisor.
But I think labeling this as "epic" is premature and I don't think this is over yet (not by a long shot).
It is epic, there is no other word for it, and it's certainly not premature to call it that. If you read the slides or watched the presentation, you'll see. It's an unbelieable screw up by Sony, simply unbelievable...

A conspiracy-inclined mind might well suspect it was intentional...

A600 2.05 / 1GB SSD

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
brasses me of some twit trying hack the system cuased them to take away install other os in the first place these people are pain in the a,,,
leave the ps3 to the real users stop wreaking it for us l dont want install linux on my ps3
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline Iggy

« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Quote from: ejstans;606474
It is epic, there is no other word for it, and it's certainly not premature to call it that. If you read the slides or watched the presentation, you'll see. It's an unbelieable screw up by Sony, simply unbelievable...

A conspiracy-inclined mind might well suspect it was intentional...

Yes, the level of stupidity here makes it seem almost suspicious. But Sony has gone out of their way to prevent this in the past, so it probably is what it seems on the surface, a mistake.
And with time and consideration I wouldn't put it past Sony to devise a counter strategy. Its hard to anticipate how they might be able to plug this hole, but since they haven't responded yet I think its more than fair to consider calling this fight over to be premature..
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline kolla

« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »
@actung_bab
:roflmao:
And you're an Amiga user?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
Quote from: kolla;606489
@actung_bab
And you're an Amiga user?

What I find even more amusing is he has the following in his sig!

Sony Ps 3 Orginal 6 port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)

“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;602791
Just another part of the 'you don't really own it" logic that prevails these day. I'm waiting for some corporate scumbag to suggest an addition to the Digital Mellinium Copyright act that makes altering your own pocessions a crime. Seems like the next logical step now that ripping MP3s from CDs you own is now technically illegal.

Trust me, I glad immortality is not possible because I am convinced the future hold a lot of qualifiers for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I thought using calculators in school was stupid (having been taught multiplication when I went to school).
I can't wait for the day when people have to be hardwired 24/7 to the internet (or something more corrupt) just to compete. I promise you , one day, technology and the Republican party will Borg us all (and you won't have a say in it - hell you'll probably be convinced to support it).

Damn! Now I sound like some kind of hybrid Tea party/scifi geek/paranoid conspiracy nut job. But a new stage in evolution is soon to come upon us, and I'm glad I'm too old to have to face the negative aspects of it.

Android 2.1/2.2 needs constant internet connection(for Google cloud services) for hands-free/voice activation**. **A safety feature while driving the car. My old Nokia Smart Phone doesn't require this BS.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:25:28 PM by Hammer »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »
Quote from: Hammer;606492
Android 2.1/2.2 needs constant internet connection(for Google cloud services) for hands-free/voice activation**. **A safety feature while driving the car. My old Nokia Smart Phone doesn't require this BS.

Thanks Hammer,
That is the strongest argument I've heard against Android in a long time. My home State has started requiring hand free operation in vehicles as of Jan 1st.
Requiring an Internet connection is just stupid.

Its time consumer took a stand against devices that force specific "features" on us.

« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;606494
Thanks Hammer,
That is the strongest argument I've heard against Android in a long time. My home State has started requiring hand free operation in vehicles as of Jan 1st.
Requiring an Internet connection is just stupid.

Its time consumer took a stand against devices that force specific "features" on us.

It's also complete bollox!

It doesn't require an internet connection to use my Bluetooth hands free adapter.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;606497
It's also complete bollox!

It doesn't require an internet connection to use my Bluetooth hands free adapter.

A question, Nicholas. Do Android devices have to be constantly connected to the Internet to have any real utility or are there enough non-cloud based apps to make it worth using when you're not connected? Because frankly I'm not convinced that 'Cloud Computing' isn't another enormous scam.

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;606500
A question, Nicholas. Do Android devices have to be constantly connected to the Internet to have any real utility or are there enough non-cloud based apps to make it worth using when you're not connected. Because frankly I'm not convinced that 'Cloud Computing' isn't another enormous scam.

You don't need the internet for anything except installing apps from the market.

My 12yr old son's handset is NEVER connected to the internet except for when he visits me at weekends and uses my wifi to get more apps.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
Before going aggro on the hackers, realize that if it wasn't for hackers, there would be no internet (abusing/using the phone system to send and steal data, when it was origianlly designed for voice transmission).

Offline Iggy

« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;606502
You don't need the internet for anything except installing apps from the market.

My 12yr old son's handset is NEVER connected to the internet except for when he visits me at weekends and uses my wifi to get more apps.

Thanks, I just like the idea of Linux based devices. The idea that Microsoft is readying a version of Windows 8 for ARM is troubling.

Offline ejstans

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;606486
Yes, the level of stupidity here makes it seem almost suspicious. But Sony has gone out of their way to prevent this in the past, so it probably is what it seems on the surface, a mistake.
And with time and consideration I wouldn't put it past Sony to devise a counter strategy. Its hard to anticipate how they might be able to plug this hole, but since they haven't responded yet I think its more than fair to consider calling this fight over to be premature..

I have no doubt it's were are talking "mistakes" here. But if they were really serious about security, it's something that wouldn't have occurred. Really. Regardless of whether Sony has the ability to rewrite a completely new and 100% secure firmware, the way they mucked up the crypto makes them deserve an "epic fail" stamped on their foreheads anyway.

And, even though fail0verflow were kind enough to classify it as  "just a bug in a loader", I'd say blindly copying user supplied data  with a user supplied size in a security-critical loader is pretty "epic  fail" that too. It's not like buffer overflows are unknown, or have been  for the last decades, geez!

It's kind of obvious that junior programmers are responsible for these things. If Sony really cared about security, they would hire better people to design and implement the security systems. And I don't mean they have to hire Geohot either. :)

What little I've seen of the 360, it's a LOT better designed (as well as implemented.)

A600 2.05 / 1GB SSD

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
geohot speaks on youtube...

[youtube]QXqIssgzML8[/youtube]