Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution  (Read 10003 times)

Description:

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
Re: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 06:43:43 AM »
M$ couldnt be happier that you're pirating Sony property!!! Youre actually helping them weaken Sony revenue!

Well, at least for me, its not like I'm not also pirating M$ property  :-P

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 06:44:24 AM »
rayt: heh, you puttz!

---

bodie:
Do you post at Atomic too?

Cover blown! cover blown! PULL OUT!

---

Yeah I loiter here and there, spouting the same poorly researched BS and over-emotional/irrational opinions to anyone that will listen.

I have to say my Amiga-fan-status has reduced to probably just morbid curiosity in the last year or so though.  I'm more a console, emulation, PC-hardware geek these days.

...Bodie_CI5?

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 09:02:35 AM »
To all those PS2 fanboys who use "backups" yet hate Xbox:

Just becouse i make a working copy of all my disks, does that make me a "fanboy" or what not?

I dont think so.

Didnt we all make a backup copy of WB? I sure as hell know i did. Infact.. most of my CD's are backed up.

I wouldnt say so much if they only cost £10...
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline coldfish

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 11:39:35 AM »
Sorry LinchpiN,

I didnt name you specifically, so theres no need to be sensitive about the word "fanboy" -is- there?

If only everyone who used modchips & "backups" was as honest and well meaning as your good self, and not software pirates like rayt, for example.

As far as software preservation goes, most companies will replace a damaged disk for a nominal fee (sometimes just postage) on return of the original.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 05:23:45 PM »
:laughing: This whole thread is just so funny.

I had a PS2, was unimpressed, and it's the first console I've sold since my Mk1 Master System.  I bought an XBox on launch day, and it still works fine now and I'm often pleasantly surprised by the quality of new games, I also have a Gamecube (though I'm on the 2nd one of those).  I don't own any 'backed up' or copied games for any of them.

While the XBox's graphics are technically better, there's plenty of Gamecube games that are simply more fun to play (I've not found this on PS2, the outstanding games on which are usually ported to other platforms).  GT4 on PS2 is good, but the trackside graphics are so poor, Forza Motorsport also feels more realistic too (when you switch off the driver aids), I was considering buying another PS2 just to play it, until I tried it out for myself.

Supporting MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA or Apple is supporting a company that has tried devious methods to crush others, and all work the system to extract money from the public rather than earning their income by providing genuinely worthwile products.  Anybody who lives in the Western world can't help supporting greedy self-serving scum - that what capitalism is all about, lol.

In short - all the current and future games consoles will suck in some way, arguing over which is better is like arguing over why Marmite tastes (or does not taste) nice.  Anyone who likes console type games will buy something from the next generation, and then pointlessly argue about why its better.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »
I don't care about PS3, Nintendo Revolution or X-Box 360, I just want to play The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm
:-o  8-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »
Having just watched about 8 hours of material from E3 I can just say this, PlayStation 3 looks frickin' awesome, Xbox 360 will surely be a nice system aswell. I'm not sure what Nintendo is up too but being a Nintendo fanboy I'm pretty certain it will be a great system in it's own way (and have the best games :). But I think the battle this time will be between Microsoft and Sony.

Oh and this was pretty fun.
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »
I hate postings like this because the "A500" alone couldn't come up with these graphics, a finely gifted ARTIST and designer who works to the best of his MEDIUM does.. By saying the "machine" produced this, we are forgetting the fine work of the artist.. A lot of people forget artist names like Jim Sachs who's talent could make a 64 game/picture look better than it ever should have. You guys have been totally forgetting the developers/artists that make these things shine.

Hardware is one thing, but it's talented programmers and artists who really make this happen. Also comparing an Amiga to a PS2 or X-box really isn't a fair comparison because these machines also render polygons using hardware 3d.. You still need an artist to make it look cool. Most good artists can make up for difficiencies in any platform.

Anyone can make a sucky game on any platform.. The point I'd make is saying one's better than the other just really is like starting a thread that Star Trek is better than Star Wars..

I love the number of "backseat drivers" here who talk about producing a game based on what they know.. A good game is a masterpiece and should be treated like that.. And for those that wonder I have my name on 5 childrens game titles on the PC (in the past), so I know the process.

When you talk about who wins, it's usually who has the most content and what games sold the most.. People who buy a playstation won't be buying it to play Mario, and people who buy an X-box won't be buying it to play Mario either.. I think the machines are also geared to whomever the content is..

A nintendo might for instance not wanna have the top cpu power but know that they are banking on people wanting to run all their retro content and current stuff because they like that "type" of content..

A xbox buyer might want games he sees on the PC that are geared at his age group and want to run on the big screen.

A playstation buyer might not be in either camp but want games set at the age group 13-18..

So it's about nitches, not necessarily who has the best hardware will win..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Holley

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 10:16:18 PM »
Well, in my opinion, at his prime Mohammed Ali was way better than Diet Coke ...

I'm with Donny on this one, I bow to your eloquent response dude :-)

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »

Holley wrote:
Well, in my opinion, at his prime Mohammed Ali was way better than Diet Coke ...

And Alan Shearer was better than Chicken & Beans too! :-D

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2005, 09:47:18 AM »
mdma:  Never underestimate the power that a young child has over their parents. Nintendo are THE masters at exploiting this.

You know how many times I've walked into a game store and heard some parent ask a salesperson, "Which machine is best?  I dunno what to get my kid for his/her birthday."

I think most game consoles these days, at least at system launch, are bought by teens with their own money.

mikrucio:  the ps2 IS the most powerfull.

Careful.  It's fair to say the PS2 is the most complex, but power != performance != speed.  PS2 is very, very fast when rendering raw polygons, but is pretty awful once you turn all the effects on.  The PS2 really isn't a very gutsy system compared to the other two.

Sony's tools are more to blame than the messy architecture, too.  Most PS2 developers buy their tools from 3rd party developers.  Sony can afford to shift responsibility that way.

It also depends how you harness power.  Some of my Dreamcast games look better, and some games load in seconds while others take half a minute.  It's kind of pathetic how inconsistent things are on the PS2.

Oh, and what about all those ports they stripped away on later revisions of the console?  A few years from now, I doubt the PS3 is still going to have 6 USB ports and 3 ethernet ports.  What on Earth is Sony thinking?

coldfish:  M$ couldnt be happier that you're pirating Sony property!!! Youre actually helping them weaken Sony revenue!

It's actually debatable whether piracy hurts or helps a platform (and I'm not talking about what the companies think about it).

mikrucio:  the xbox is a peecee. and it is easy to program.  everyone has access to a peecee. thats why xbox is so popular.

Well, at the least x86 is easy to program in assembler, and has more tools available than any other CPU.  I'm not sure how the graphics chip differs from what nVidia has released on the PC.

Darklight:  The Amiga 500 was capable (and still is) of more than most people would give it credit for, hence its popularity during its short lifespan.

Short?  The OCS chipset was hardly changed throughout the lifespan of the Amiga.  I was very, very disappointed with AGA, and knew Commodore was finished at the time I bought my 1200.  Commodore knew damn well they had a good chipset and felt no need to improve it.

LinchpiN:  Didnt we all make a backup copy of WB?

Yeah, but CDs and DVDs don't wear out like floppies do.  :-)

Face it, when was the last time you retired a damaged backup?  Unless you're a klutz, of course.

Holley:  Supporting MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA or Apple is supporting a company that has tried devious methods to crush others, and all work the system to extract money from the public rather than earning their income by providing genuinely worthwile products.

Thank you.  It really ticks me off when people whine about Microsoft.  Apple has a long history of dumping products shortly after launch.  If Microsoft suported their products the way Apple did, the government would have broken them up a long time ago.  Don't get me started about the dreadful MacOS 8.1 "superpatch" before they released 8.5.

Oh yeah, and don't get me started on Sony, either.

fx:  PlayStation 3 looks frickin' awesome

Much of what they showed off left me shaking my head.  The F1 demo really disgusted me as the physics were attrocious.  Killzone is also the ultimate demo -- all staged graphics and no indication that AI is controlling the bad guys.  It's like watching those rediculous Ruby demos released by ATI.  Games are not movies, and never will be.

I buy game machines to play games, and only after I know what games are going to be available.

I also never buy a system at launch (though I did get my Dreamcast after a few months).  There's too many reliability issues.

After a year or so, I might consider a PS3.  The original XBox has nothing that interests me, and I might get a used GameCube to play only three titles.  I've got more than a dozen PS2 games, and about 30 PSX titles.

I'm no fan of Sony, but I can't say Microsoft or Nintendo did very well over the last few years.  I don't see any real changes happening soon.  I'm sorely disappointed with Nintendo.  Everything went sour with N64 and they just haven't improved.

DonnyEMU:  A good game is a masterpiece and should be treated like that.

Have you noticed that despite the invention of memory cards, even the "masterpieces" are too damned short?  I like Sly Cooper, but after you take out the cut-scenes (which you can't skip over), it equates to, like, 5 hours of gameplay the first time through, and maybe a half-hour the second time.

I'm boycotting Half-Life 2 because of Steam, but I hear it's in the same camp.  12 hours of gameplay or so.

Where's all this revolutionary AI we hear so much about?

Offline coldfish

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 04:30:18 AM »
The Killzone2 "demo" on PS3 was a render.

Offline Holley

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

This is where Halo 2 shines, my son and I have played the whole thing through about 6 times (about 10 hours to complete once if you don't rush).  

Depending on how you behave there's a series of different behaviour you get from the enemies and your own troops - the differences between the difficulty settings are just increasing enemy intelligence, and at the higher levels the buggers lure you into traps, hide in the shadows if they see / hear you coming etc.

I'm still not bored with it ...

Anyway, there's lots of games that are bodges, too short, lack vision etc.  The classics are the ones where each time you play something different happens, and you notice new things :-)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2005, 11:15:41 PM »
I just bought a GameCube! 8-)
Only cost me 495 SEK ($67). :-D
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »
I'm not sure how the graphics chip differs from what nVidia has released on the PC.

IIRC, it's optimized for low-res rendering.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #44 from previous page: May 26, 2005, 12:46:20 AM »

Holley wrote:

This is where Halo 2 shines, my son and I have played the whole thing through about 6 times (about 10 hours to complete once if you don't rush).  

Depending on how you behave there's a series of different behaviour you get from the enemies and your own troops - the differences between the difficulty settings are just increasing enemy intelligence, and at the higher levels the buggers lure you into traps, hide in the shadows if they see / hear you coming etc.

I'm still not bored with it ...

Anyway, there's lots of games that are bodges, too short, lack vision etc.  The classics are the ones where each time you play something different happens, and you notice new things :-)

Resident Evil 4 has some neat AI on the GC.  Those buggers dodge out of your gun's line of sight.