Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.  (Read 23922 times)

Description:

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
Re: Wow! C-USA's first commercial.
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Quote from: persia;628479
But you have to consider that i's a netbook minus the screen....

Yes. It's a netbook without the battery or the cumbersome screen.

Just what the computer world has been waiting for.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »
Quote from: amoskodare;628474
595 DOLLARS??! :shocked:

Hesus facking Christ!!

:roflmao:

First of all, this is targeting the C64 retro crowd and not the Amiga community. Second, that custom designed keyboard is close to $100 at OEM costs, so MSRP going to be a bit high and the pricing has to high enough for retail chains to make a profit on it as well as C=USA.  Third, the pricing in EUROs is 420.  Fourth, how much did you spend for that G2 based SAM440?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Quote from: dammy;628494
First of all, this is targeting the C64 retro crowd and not the Amiga community. Second, that custom designed keyboard is close to $100 at OEM costs, so MSRP going to be a bit high and the pricing has to high enough for retail chains to make a profit on it as well as C=USA.  Third, the pricing in EUROs is 420.  Fourth, how much did you spend for that G2 based SAM440?
My Sam440ep-flex runs OS4, the CUSA-box doesn't, so it's "kind of irrelevant" - different "platforms".

But ok, just considering the case, it could be something for the C64 retro crowd...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 05:06:41 PM by amoskodare »
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline number6

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 05:28:16 PM »
@Franko

iirc, you linked in another thread that you were off to watch WrestleMania.
I was just checking today's news links about the topic at hand and found something related:

"Sheamus: When I was young, I had a Commodore 64 and then an Amiga, so I started on that."

Q&A: Pro wrestler Sheamus on video games, WWE

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
I just watched the commercial.  I can just see people saying, "COOL! I can buy the Tron DVD Combo pack that comes with a free C64. Neat!"  :biglaugh:
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Quote from: number6;628510
@Franko

iirc, you linked in another thread that you were off to watch WrestleMania.
I was just checking today's news links about the topic at hand and found something related:

"Sheamus: When I was young, I had a Commodore 64 and then an Amiga, so I started on that."

Q&A: Pro wrestler Sheamus on video games, WWE

With hands the size Sheamus has got I reckon he must've went through a fair amount of Joysticks back in the day... :)

Odd thing is I wouldn't have put him down as being old enough to remember the C64... :)

Anyway the Undertaker still rulez... 19 & 0 :D

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
Quote from: Franko;628517
With hands the size Sheamus has got I reckon he must've went through a fair amount of Joysticks back in the day... :)

Odd thing is I wouldn't have put him down as being old enough to remember the C64... :)

Anyway the Undertaker still rulez... 19 & 0 :D

19 & 0? Pffftt...come back when he can top this guy:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201103/one-legged-wrestler-wins-ncaa-title

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;628520
19 & 0? Pffftt...come back when he can top this guy:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/good-sports/201103/one-legged-wrestler-wins-ncaa-title

Pfffttt... Easy Zach Gowan... :D

[youtube]tyVvHEPZa0w[/youtube]

Try harder next time... ;)

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »

Didn't you claim a while back they're not targeting the "retro" community?

Oh and this is not comparable to a Sam440, find me a PPC similarly specced mobo for a lower price?  PPC hardware is more costly than x86.  Sam440 runs OS 4, C64x doesn't, that's like saying "my dell laptop is cheaper than a macbook!", they don't run the same platforms.

If CUSA sell 100 of these pieces of crap I'll be amazed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:06:42 PM by danwood »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
Quote from: Franko;628523
Pfffttt... Easy Zach Gowan... :D

[youtube]tyVvHEPZa0w[/youtube]

Try harder next time... ;)

You're joking, right? I mean, I admire Gowan for doing what he does despite missing a leg, but his history is one of loss after loss and that's in a showboating arena. Meanwhile Robles is virtually undefeated. 96-0 in high school, and 36-0 in his senior year, plus winning at NCAA (real wrestling).

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »

1. Why is it being pimped on this Amiga forum then? You admit now it has FA to do with Amiga now hmmmm thanks.

2. €65+€65 ie 100% profit for fake C= and retailer is at the top end ofhardware sales (20-50% = normal). So £99-109 is more than enough for just a case for the greedy tits. And the crap motherboard specs worth about £50-75 AT BEST.
So you have proved to us it is a rip-off markup on a fancy desktop case + under powered limp wristed x86 Windows/Liux motherboard. Thanks :)

3. I bought a mint actual C64 + uIEC/MMC + SD card for less than 1/3 your C64x list price....hell I even got the Retrogenius Ultimate C64 DVD with REAL tape images....and I never have to look at crap like x86 Windows before VICE is loads and I'm playing ORIGINAL UNCRACKED GAMES :roflmao:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
Quote from: danwood;628525

World is full of stupid people :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;628528
1. Why is it being pimped on this Amiga forum then? You admit now it has FA to do with Amiga now hmmmm thanks.

I don't think that was ever in doubt, which is why it is posted in the "other operating systems" section of the forum.
int p; // A

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »
Quote from: danwood;628525
Didn't you claim a while back they're not targeting the "retro" community?

For which product?  C64x has always been about the retro crowd.

Oh and this is not comparable to a Sam440, find me a PPC similarly specced mobo for a lower price?  PPC hardware is more costly than x86.

Yes it is relevant actually. This is about a hobby computer and what people will pay for it.  I can't see too many people buying this as their one and only computer.  Some will, most will not.  It breaks down to what people are willing to spend, be it on a SAM440, A1X1K, EFIKA-MX or a C64x.  Reason they are spending money on is they want a specific entertainment value out of it.  Those who spend far greater amounts for a computer with far lesser hardware capabilities have no place to complain about the current prices.

Sam440 runs OS 4, C64x doesn't, that's like saying "my dell laptop is cheaper than a macbook!", they don't run the same platforms.

I find it interesting a OS4 supporter(s) condemning it which has yet to have it's first review.  In any regard, be prepared to be amazed, a big box retail chain here in the US already order 20 units @ store an there is over 1,000 stores.  Do the math. :)
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
Quote from: dammy;628545
This is about a hobby computer and what people will pay for it.  I can't see too many people buying this as their one and only computer.  Some will, most will not.  It breaks down to what people are willing to spend, be it on a SAM440, A1X1K, EFIKA-MX or a C64x.  Reason they are spending money on is they want a specific entertainment value out of it.
there are quite a few folks that are gonna remember that quote later this year, you know. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #89 from previous page: April 05, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
So they have gotten to shipping actual product? Good on them. They turned out to be a legitimate business.

Now to see consumer reviews come in, and see what the verdict is.

And I assume this then silences the whole "OS4 hardware is too expensive" stuff for good then.