Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Moderation Techniques  (Read 15423 times)

Description:

Re: Forum Moderation Techniques
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 03, 2004, 07:41:12 PM »
@lempkee,

Moderating is not an easy job.  If this were the Amiga community of 9, even 5 years ago, it wouldn't even be necessary.   Moderation in this bitter community has unfortunately become a necessary evil.  There are simply those amongst us who have begun to believe that this site (and others) are theirs to abuse at will.  This is running off the intelligent and helpful posters.

As I said in another thread, something has to be done, even if it's closing the Talk About forum.  I'm still open to realistic suggestions.

Wayne

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2004, 07:43:40 PM »
i never said moderating was an easy job nor thing and i never said they got paid for it, i just say what i EXPECT them to do to reduce trolling and fud, we all know wayne has been rather annoyied about it and so on.

Hee Lempkee,  I wasn't really targetting you there, tho you did mak me think up that peace I wrote.. ;-)

No harm ment.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Minuous

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2004, 08:10:55 PM »
Edit by Kees - Personal attack

Offline AccyD

• Show only replies by AccyD
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2004, 08:18:08 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Moderating is not an easy job.  

I'm sure it is  :-D No honestly, the moderation I have seen on the site here, seems to be 1st class, striking the right balance is always hard and will never be achieved ("Can't please all of the people all of the time") but the comments made earlier (specifically by MikeyMike) showing that potential bias is avoided as much as possible which is the only thing you can ask of a good moderater.

Wayne wrote:
something has to be done, even if it's closing the Talk About forum

Firstly, please don't this provides a good talking point and normally allows a good flow of ideas and friendly debates/arguments to develop as an aside from the Amiga discussions.

Secondly, hopefully this post (and others like it) will have given posters a "shot across the bows" and should act as a warning to future abusers and hopefully resolve the problem organically.

Offline Amiperson2K3

• Show only replies by Amiperson2K3
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »
The thread on Ann was not started by me or has anything to do with me. i suggest (as this is afaik a   suggestions and feedback forum) people find something better to do in thier lifes than pointing fingers and making wild accusations.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2004, 08:34:20 PM »

Amiperson2K3 wrote:
The thread on Ann was not started by me or has anything to do with me. i suggest (as this is afaik a   suggestions and feedback forum) people find something better to do in thier lifes than pointing fingers and making wild accusations.

That's good to know, and I agree with you.

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2004, 09:07:26 PM »
I would be happy if people would just grow up a bit.  

If you aren't responsible for the original thread, then I apologize for taking it out on you specifically, but I'm REALLY sick of putting in all this work for the amount of crap I'm getting in return.  I have no idea who the original thread poster is, but it has to be someone who has been banned.  As such, the thread isn't worth continuing, but the fact remains the same.

No one is holding anyone here at gunpoint.  If they don't like it here, they're welcome to leave.  This site will continue, regardless of the input of anonymous cowards and multiply accounted trolls.  The only thing they do is to increase our resolve to keep going.

Wayne

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2004, 09:15:18 PM »
The only thing they do is to increase our resolve to keep going.

Well that's good to know :-)

Offline Brian HoskinsTopic starter

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2004, 10:25:04 PM »
With regard to the recent Amiga.org flame post on Ann which links to this particular thread, I'd like to say that this thread was started by me and intended to be a constructive outlook on moderation techniques, NOT an excuse to start a war.

I would recommend that the Ann post be ignored by us all, since the person who posted there has obviously (purposely?) misunderstood this thread completley.

Brian

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2004, 10:46:54 PM »
Hi Brian,

I don't think I misunderstood your intent with starting the thread.  Granted, I have become very touchy over the continual criticism but there are factors in my real life which are contributing to the mounting intolerance.  It hasn't been -- to me -- personal.

The person who started the thread on ANN was apparently someone who was banned who is simply using your comments here as a catalyst to beat up on me and the site.  

Nothing new.  Just demonstrates the childishness of some people in this community.  "Kick and scream" until their toys get taken away (they get banned), the "cry and scream" every time they get a chance.

Wayne

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2004, 12:07:26 AM »
Ryu: Congrats! You are now a full fledges AO Moderator. Welcome to the Club.

Offline Argo

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2004, 12:10:29 AM »
If a topic gets locked, nothing is stoping anyone from starting a new one. Just hope something is learned from the previous topic.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2004, 12:53:28 AM »
hehe, so I need to be bashed by several users and DoS'ed  before I am a fully fledged moderator... well if I knew that before I applied I might never of bothered... ;-)
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »
Ryu, what's your IP again... 127.0.0.1?

Offline Argo

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2004, 01:19:47 AM »
Every group has there own hazing ritual.  :-D

Offline Acill

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2004, 03:14:50 AM »
Well there isnt much they can do other then lock the thread to stop the bashing. The problem is so many of us are so attached to our systems. Some of the people take it a bit to far I agree. Its a shame those that do cant keep the stupid feelings they have and not lash at out others.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics